Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Clarion Hotel Hampshire -- safe? what to do at night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:32 PM
JR

Looking for clean, safe place that isn't dangerous at night. Am trying to get as close to the mall as possible (on my budget) and/or as close as possible to a metro stop (across the street would be great). Can you tell me about the Clarion Hotel Hampshire's neighborhood, or give me other suggestions? Thanks!

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 07:14 AM
JR

Help! I'm posting this to the top because I really need to know if the Washington DC Clarion Hotel Hampshire is OK. Their advertisement says it's on Embassy Row, among old mansions??? I've never been to DC, so I don't know anything about neighborhoods or convenience. Does anyone know? Thanks so much!

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 07:22 AM
xxx

Try reposting with D.C. in the title. I bet you'll get an answer.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 09:48 AM
lisa

Hi JR. I live in DC. Sorry I'm not familiar with this hotel, but if you post the address, I can tell you whether the location is good. "Embassy Row" isn't actually a street; it implies more of a general area, but best to be more specific if you're interested in knowing whether it's close to the metro, etc.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 10:14 AM
JR

1310 New Hampshire

From the map, it looks like its at the approximate intersection of 20th St, N St., and New Hampshire (SW of Dupont Circle). I am particularly concerned about safety and ease of travel/making connections. I'll most likely be with an elderly person and would prefer to have as little uncertainty as possible.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 10:55 AM
JR

I also found a "Quality HOtel & Suites Downtown" on 1315 16th Street, NW. This is on Rhode Island, 16th & N Streets. Is this a better location?

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 10:59 AM
ilisa

The Quality Hotel and Suites you speak of is right up the block from my office and across from the Australian Embassy. My husband hosted a Dutch soccer team last year for a tournament and put them there. Everyone like the hotel. They all said it was clean and comfortable. You are in walking distance from both the metro and White House. The area is perfectly safe.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 01:25 PM
lisa

I think the Clarion is slightly better-located than the Quality, judging by the addresses. No personal experience with either one. However, now that I understand you are with an elderly person, I understand better why you are looking for something in the suburbs that is directly adjacent to a metro station. There are many such hotels in Washington, but I don't know about prices. For example, there is a Marriott located directly above Metro Center station, but I have no idea the cost. Maybe the hotels located at the Alexandria metro station are a better idea for you after all...

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 03:44 AM
JR

Thank you soooooo much for the information. I love this web site! So many helpful people!

One Last question....from your last post, am I to understand that there isn't a metro stop near either one of the these two hotels? My mom (elderly)is not totally incapable of walking, but it is becoming a difficulty-- and with there already being so much walking to do, I wanted it as easy as possible. There is a Summerfield Suites in Gaithersburg, MD that would fit all of our needs, but the commute would be 45 min. each way. Double that time every day, and that seems like such a waste of time.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 04:26 AM
ilisa

JR, I live near the Summerfield Suites. Do not stay there. As you mentioned, the commute is a pain. I know, I do that exact commute every day. It would be longer than 45 minutes because the ride to the Shady Grove metro is about 10 minutes. The metro ride is 35-40 minutes to the Farragut North metro, without delays, longer if you want to go to Smithsonian (which requires a transfer). I am not exactly sure about the Hotel Hampshire's proximity to the metro, but the Quality Hotel and Suites is about four blocks from the Farragut North metro on the Red Line.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 06:11 AM
lisa

Hi again JR. The Clarion Hotel Hampshire sounds like it is only a few blocks from Dupont Circle metro station. I don't know if you have a map, but the south entrance to Dupont Circle metro station is located at the intersection of New Hampshire and Dupont Circle, which is just a few blocks north of N Street -- I think you'll be fine as long as your mom can walk those few blocks.
But you are right, you'll be doing a lot of walking if you plan on going to the Mall to see the Smithsonian museums, etc.
In a pinch you can take a cab if your mom gets tired. They are not very expensive. Cabs in DC work on a "zone" system rather than using meters. From the Mall to Dupont Circle is one zone, so the non-rush hour fare is currently $4.75 for one person and I believe an extra dollar or so for each extra person (they recently instituted a 75-cent fuel surcharge), not including the tip. At rush hour it's one dollar extra so $5.75 for one person plus extra for each additional person plus tip. The rush hour surcharge ends at 9:30 am, starts again at 4pm I believe (?) and ends at 6:30 pm.