Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Clarifiying earlier post: Last minute solo trip to Cajun Country/New Orleans

Mar 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

I am considering a last minute trip to Cajun Country and/or New Orleans this Tuesday or Wednesday. I am a forty-something woman from NYC who will be travelling alone, and I am wondering if I will feel comfortable on my own in Cajun Country (where so much of the fun revolves around eating and dancing). Also, I would like to do a couple of days of volunteer work in NO and Habitat for Humanity is completely booked with spring break volunteers. I've done a lot of research and found another large rebuildng project called the St. Bernard Project in St. Bernard Parish. Does anyone have any experience with or feedback on the organization or project?

Many thanks. And by the way, I have read through all the relevant previous posts here and have found them very helpful in planning out a possible itinerary. So thanks also to all who have already helped

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Come on down! You'll find no problem whatsoever feeling comfortable down in Cajun Country.

By the way, Cajun Country is quite big - stretches from Lake Charles to the outskirts of New Orleans, so if you have any questions, please fire away!

The St. Bernard Project is an excellent volunteering opportunity for you. Find ouy how to sign up at:
http://www.stbernardproject.org/id6.html
Mar 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've put the trip off for a couple of days (or until next week) but definitely want to be in Eunice and/or Mamou on a Saturday for obvious reasons So my big question is this: New Iberia sounds like a lovely town to use as a base and Le Rosier sounds like a great choice in New Iberia. My only concern is driving to Eunice/Mamou at the crack of dawn on Saturday in order to have a chance to get in to the jam session in Eunice or Fred's in Mamou, and then, having to stay in the area all day (it's an hour and a half back to New Iberia) to get in to the Liberty Theatre in the PM. I am open to moving once during my stay. Is there another nice base (b and b, town) closer to Eunice/Mamou where I might stay for the weekend, so that I wouldn't be driving so far early in the morning and late at night? I've done a lot of reseach and haven't come up with anything that seems to compare to Le Rosier/New Iberia. Thanks in advance for any help.
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM

I'd probably stay in Breaux Bridge at Maison des Amis. That way you're about half way between New Iberia and Eunice/Mamou (really Lafayette would be more central, but Breaux Bridge is just a slight detour). You'll also be able to sample the delicious cuisine at Cafe des Amis. Just a thought.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

ttt