Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   City Island, NY - worth a visit? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/city-island-ny-worth-a-visit-906505/)

orangetravelcat Sep 18th, 2011 11:30 AM

City Island, NY - worth a visit?

Loved going to City Island back in the 70's when I lived in NY. Does it still have the same ambiance? No trips planned to NY right now but if we plan one for the future, is City Island worth a day trip?

zootsi Sep 18th, 2011 11:41 AM

dont know - but there was a great movie done there a few years ago called 'City Island'.

DebitNM Sep 18th, 2011 11:45 AM

I grew up about 20 minutes from there. Never went swimming there, just out for a nice seafood dinner once in awhile during the summer.

I was back in NY last summer, we were driving by so figured we would go take a look see. It was a drive down to the end of City Island Ave and then back, then over to the beach. We didn't even get out of the car.

I wouldn't make a special trip there and it certainly isn't a day trip destination.

orangetravelcat Sep 18th, 2011 12:07 PM

Saw that move, zootsi. It was really good.

DebitNM, sorry to hear that. Use to love that place.

Fra_Diavolo Sep 18th, 2011 01:28 PM

Was there a few months ago. I think it is pretty much the same as ever, restaurants about the same too. Go, if your feeling nostalgic. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Aduchamp1 Sep 18th, 2011 03:02 PM

Whatever you do, do not go during a summer weekend, the traffic is maddening. I must admit we have not have been there in about two years, but the restaurants there are always better in theory. Nostalgia is a completely different reason.

orangetravelcat Sep 18th, 2011 04:22 PM

Nostalgia would be my reason for going. As I get older, I get more of a desire to revisit "old haunts".

orangetravelcat Sep 19th, 2011 05:36 PM

Can't imagine what kind of comment someone would make that would get it removed. Anyway, will go back there someday.

lia_b Sep 20th, 2011 10:18 AM

That's funny. I was just there this weekend with our family. We decided to get together and go to Johnny's Reef all the way at the end. In the past, we have opted for a sit down restaurant such as Crab Shanty or Sammy's etc. For nostalgia's sake, we decided to go to the Reef as we did when we were kids. I admit we had fun. Food was cheap, drinks were cheap weather was good and it was not crowded. Just grab a table and enjoy. Completely uncomplicated. It is not that the place has changed. It is that we have grown up and experienced much more sophisticated seafood and ambiance. Still it was fun, we took our kids and sat for a while watching the seagulls and the sailboats going by.

I would not go out of my way, but if you are in the area, why not. Just don't go in the summer. Traffic is horrible. By the way, the movie has nothing to do with City Island but the main characters supposedly live there. It was a good movie to watch nonetheless.