Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cincinnati Wine fest and Winemaker Dinner Review- One Restaurant. HICCUP!

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from a lovely weekend. We took part in the Meeker Vineyard Winemaker dinner on Thursday before the Cincinnati Wine Festival 2007. Meeker has always been a favorite stop for us in Sonoma Valley (Geyserville) and we have several varieties in our cellar. The event started at 6:30 with meeting the family, discussing the history of the business, etc. In between courses, the wines were explained and there were opportunities to comment and ask questions. We also met the manager and owner/chef of One.

We were seated in a private room on the side of the restaurant. Great atmosphere here- a hip red lounge, a very stark art deco dining room..all housed in the old Municipal building in Mason. Lovely. It also has ample parking around and behind the building.

I quietly asked my waiter, David, to leave all meat off the plate. He asked me exactly what type of eater I was to which I answered "aquitarian" (fish only). He
never batted an eye, and my courses came out beautifully prepared alongside the others, and in fact my husband thinks I got the better deal!

A bean soup was paired with the Meeker's non-oaky Chardonnay. I was served a delicious red pepper soup. Second course was a duck confit. I had a mouth watering tuna tartare which was one of the best I've ever had. Then they served a rich Osso Bucco with practically everyone's favorite, Barberian. This is a monster wine, but it maintains its fruit well. It's a blend of Barberra and 3 other wines; the story of the conception is a riot. It involved two employees smoking
pot and mixing the wrong wines together. Charlie Meeker and his lovely wife Molly
are great hosts and truly vibrant, funny people. The stories all were enjoyable,
and their warmth and humor made the event more special. 30 years of marriage and they are still like two kids in love.

I get a little confused about what was served with what- (forgot my menu) we had the special Handprint Reserve Merlot and a wonderful Cabernet. I had a delicious sea bass with a balsamic reduction, followed by their signature vegetarian dish, a portobello stack. At this point, I was stuffed! The other diners enjoyed a surf and turf...a homemade lobster ravioli and a filet with a reduction of the handprint merlot. They make all the pasta here from scratch and will gladly adjust sauces and side items accordingly. Dessert was a light chocolate cake with creme and raspberries. It was paired with FroZin, a dessert wine made in the ice wine style.
The dinner was $125 per person, which included service. However, our waiter
was so great we had to give him a bit extra. Service all around was perfect. A wrong step and a tray of wine covered both waiters- which ended up being laughable thanks to a great staff and hosts. We will definitely attend one of these special dinners again, and are definitely returning to One for an encore meal. The town of Mason is undergoing massive renovation and will be a draw as well. www.onedining.com

The wine fest was held in a huge room at the Cinergy Center. Unlike last year, the venue is now carpeted and the booths are in straight lines with ample space between the rows. On a Friday night between 6:30-9:30, it never got too crowded. They had over130 wineries and 600 varieties featured.The proceeds benefit many charities, which is great!The food was just okay, some cheeses, fruit, quiche, pasta, spinach pockets and an array of sandwiches- all containing meat. Yoo hoo...it's Lent!! Kroger, a sponsor, had a booth where they were slicing roast beef and had other canapes. There was actually a lot more and better food this year and it was spread out in different locations, which was nice. There were a fair numbers of Ky and Ohio wines. Many winemakers attended, which is always fun. Other booths were staffed by distributors, etc and had several wineries represented at one booth. The tasting were Friday and Saturday nights and Saturday afternoons, each lasts 3 hours.There is a jazz trio entertaining. Here's a list of our faves and new discoveries:
Handley 2004 Pinot Noir
Ravenswood 2004 Teldeschi Zin
Styring 2003Wit Reserve Pinot*** NEW!GREAT!!!
Napa Ridge 2003 Syrah
Chateau St Jean 2003 Cinq Cepages Cab OOOOO an $80 bottle of pure heaven
Charles Krug 2004 Cab
Ridge 2005 Zin Paso Robles
Fess Parker 2004 Syrah Rodney's Vineyard
Michael-Davis 2003 Earthquake cab
Rombauer 2001 Diamond Sel. Cab and 2004 Zin
Meeker 2002 Barberian *** YUM, 2004 Handprint Merlot, 2002 Great Cabs cab
Herrington 2005 Petite Syrah
Stag's Leap 2004 Artemis Cab
Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cab
Frank Family 2003 Napa Cab
Jocelyn Lonen 2004 Reserve Cab
Robert Hall 2004 Cab
Alexander Valley 2003 Cyrus (a good ol friend)

After the fest, we stopped at the Millenium for a snack and VOILA it is all smoke free in Ohio! How great that was! Next year!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

I made a mistake or two. It is now the Duke Energy Center and the event is two and a half hours. The tickets for Fri and Sat are 65 in advance and 70 at the door. 50 for Sat afternoon. They also have a charity auction prior to the event and a silent wine auction at each session.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM
maj

Enjoyed reading your trip report. Thanks also for the review of the restaurant, since we don't get up that way often. We're always looking for new places to eat and will try it at some point.

What did you end up doing with your 4 hours at the hotel?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi maj! Well, i did the NY Times crossword puzzle till 11, checked out and left my luggage there. Walked the duck poop path behind the KI resort's old hotel and went to see "Wild Hogs" at the Cinema. Bad choice in movies! After that, I walked to Ruby Tuesdays and enjoyed a salad bar and worked Sudoku.Arrived in Cinci about 5. The rest of the night was way more exciting, lol. Mason is definitely going to be a destination before long. They are doing lots of interesting things there.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

topping for kybourbon. Lara, did you attend the event Saturday?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Kal

LLC,
You SURE this was Cincinnati OHIO??? :-?

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Hey Kal!! Ya know, kybourbon got on here and asked about the wine fest and she got some smart a** remarks. Truly, I just named my favorites, there were scores of great and interesting wines. In fact, I may go both days next year. We saw many winemakers we'd met in CA over the years. I think they bill the event as the "largest wine fest in the midwest". They really did an awesome job this year. And it's for a good cause! You can write off part of your ticket...what's not to love?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Kal

...sorry...had a mikemo moment. :-"

Uncorked a Rombauer Zin for dinner Sat nite.
Got the Diamond ready for a special occasion next mo.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Kal

...sorry...had a mikemo moment. :-"

Uncorked a Rombauer Zin for dinner Sat nite.
Got the Diamond ready for a special occasion next mo.

All kidding aside, it sounds like a GREAT event.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Kal!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

We have a new tradition in Rick's office- everytime someone makes a sale over X number of dollars, they uncork a Rombauer. Mr Rombauer was at the show last year as host! If you can find it, pick up a bottle of that Styring Pinot "Wit". It's in the class of Papapietro-Perry, big and luscious. It's from Oregon.