Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cincinatti Anyone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cincinatti-anyone-794460/)

espinach1 Jul 8th, 2009 01:53 PM

Cincinatti Anyone?

My husband is going to a conference in Cincinatti in September. He said that I was welcome to come. I'll only go if there is enough to keep me occupied downtown for 3 days. He'll be busy all day and so I'll be on my own. We won't have a car. I like museums, historic sites and can shop till I drop. Any thoughts?

kayd Jul 8th, 2009 02:16 PM

Google Cincinnati (correct spelling) tourism. I bet you could find plenty if info about its fine museums and parks, for a start. It is too long since I was there for my recs to have much value, but I found it a lovely city.

Trent7 Jul 8th, 2009 03:12 PM

You won't find a lot of great shopping in downtown Cincy. The National Underground Railroad Museum is downtown and it is very well done. There are a lot of restaurants and bars downtown or right across the river (walking bridge) in Kentucky. Without a car, you might not be able to occupy yourself for three days

maj Jul 8th, 2009 04:12 PM

I'm not sure that you can find enough to occupy you in downtown Cincinnati itself, but I have read from others who have posted here that they found public transportation (taxis, buses, shuttles) easy to use. (which I found surprising) Depending when you are here, the Aronoff and Taft have shows, etc and are downtown. The Contemporary Art Museum is downtown. There are plenty of restaurants so you won't have a problem in that way. There is shopping (Saks, Macy's, Tiffany's etc.), but not like a mall (where most people around here shop).

The Underground Museum was already mentioned and it is very easy to either walk across the bridge to Northern Kentucky or take a shuttle. There is an Aquarium there, movie theatre, restaurants, etc. in Newport on the Levee and Mainstrasse in Covington has some unique shops. Both the Union Terminal (with museums etc.) and Mt. Adams are very close (the Art Museum is there). Also, Hyde Park Square is good for unique little shops.

I'm sure the concierge at the hotel would be able to help you with transportation, ideas, etc.

maj Jul 8th, 2009 04:14 PM

Sorry, I should have added that Hyde Park, Union Terminal and Mt Adams (also the Zoo isn't far either), while not far, you definitely can't walk to any of them from downtown.

espinach1 Jul 9th, 2009 02:45 AM

Sorry about my misspelling. I knew I should have checked it before posting. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

SAnParis2 Jul 9th, 2009 04:20 AM

If you are lucky perhaps you'll run into a day game @ the Great American Ballpark or you can cab or walk across the river to - http://www.newportonthelevee.com/, Turfway Park is also nearby.

bachslunch Jul 14th, 2009 06:40 AM

Attractions in downtown Cincinnati besides the National Underground Railroad Museum would include:

-Taft Museum (a worthy little former private art collection in a historic house, kind of like the Frick in New York or Gardner in Boston).

-Contemporary Arts Center (in an attractive modernist space, will be worth a visit or not depending on what their current exhibit is, as they have no permanent collection).

The following can all be reached via car or the #1 bus, which links these attractions to downtown. They are not walking distance from downtown.

-Cincinnati Art Museum. In Eden Park, which is also pleasant to walk around if you don't mind hills. This museum has a good quality-to-quantity ratio.

-Cincinnati Zoo. Very good example of its kind.

-Cincinnati Museum complex at Union Station. Includes a very good Cincinnati History Museum and a passable Museum of Natural History and Science. The terminal itself is well worth seeing in its own right.

I found the buses in Cincinnati easy to use, timely, and pleasant. Carrying a schedule is useful.