Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chula Vista -- Good? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chula-vista-good-572557/)

richardaw Nov 23rd, 2005 12:11 PM

Chula Vista -- Good?

My wife and I are planning 6 days in the San Diego area on a limited budget, but desiring safe, clean, modern accomodations near fairly inexpensive golf courses. We are "out and about" on vacation, and don't spend too much time at a hotel.

I don't know the area and I'm looking for some guidance.

Northen San Diego seems very expensive, both hotels and golf.

I saw some positive reviews for the Holiday Express in Chula Vista and made a tentative reservation. $622 for 6 nights including Fri and Sat with ref, mircowave etc. I'd be OK with spending more if it would really make a big difference.

Now the question: Is the a good area from a safety, security and atomosphere point of view. We are not expecting a resort, and don't mind driving up to SD for attractions etc.

Does anyone have any experience with the Holiday Inn express in Chula Vista?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you very much. This is the first time I've used this discussion forum and I appreciation your cooperation and help.

EmilyC Nov 23rd, 2005 01:13 PM

I am not an expert on the Chula Vista area but I have visited San Diego for business quite a few times. A fairly new hotel(I think it was completed 2 years ago), the Residence Inn in Mission Valley comes up with a AAA rate of 134 a nite ( you didn't give your dates..I choose 6 consecutive nites in January). I have stayed at this hotel and would recommend it for budget travel. The area is mostly business but you can walk over to a small mall close by and it's an easy hop on the freeway. There is also a trolley stop on the corner near the hotel and that's important if you choose to use the trolley to visit the sights. If I am on extended business I like Residence Inn because you have a full kitchen with stove, microwave and refrigerator and they will even do your grocery shopping for you for free! There is also always a pool and laundry room which is a help on a long business trip.On business nites(Mon - Thur), there's is always an evening food choice for free - nothing elaborate...generally things like lasagna or tacos, maybe even a cookout. Breakfast is free as well.
I hope this helps, good luck!

FainaAgain Nov 23rd, 2005 01:40 PM

Some time between 1992 and 1995 I had a job which has the only purpose in it's functioning: to kill my vacation. The kids were in school, so somehow I was allowed to take my (then only) week off during a major convention in the city.

We stayed in Chula Vista. Turned out to be perfect for us. As safe as any city can be, mostly white quiet town, we (a woman and a child) felt perfectly safe.

Regular very dependable connection with the city by the trolley line - or to the border.

There is something like a small museum in the marshes (?), cars are not allowed, you take a free shuttle and pay museum admission later. If you have kids with you, go, for adults - nothing interesting.

We stayed at... don't even remember! Travelodge or something similar. I would stay at Chula Vista again to save money, picking a hotel as close to the trolley line as possible - we didn't rent a car.

Kal Nov 23rd, 2005 01:58 PM

Have you thought of Priceline or Hotwire?

Heavens Nov 23rd, 2005 02:46 PM

We go to San Diego about six times a year and stay in hotels. Have for about 20 years. We live in a small town so we go there for errands, shopping, dr's appointments, house stuff, school shopping, or just to get out of town for some fun and good restaurants/movies.

The point is, I never have nor would I ever condsider staying in Chula Vista. Never. Hotel Circle (Mission Valley) yes, or any other area, just about, north of Hwy 8, but not Chula Vista. Why? Too far from other activities, peppered with bad neighborhoods, getting too close to border area, just overall not a vacation destination in my mind.

If I was going on business that would be one thing, but for pleasure, NO WAY. That is my opinion.

4Janet Nov 23rd, 2005 06:20 PM

I would stay in Mission Valley. If you are on the trolley line it will take you to the top shopping centers, Old Town, the Gas Lamp with all kinds of restaurants. You will be at the most ten minutes away from the beach, the Zoo, Sea World and the golf course in Mission Valley.

tovarich Nov 23rd, 2005 11:37 PM

We stayed in Chula Vista in 1998 while visiting S. Diego and if you're looking for cheap but clean we take Motel6 anytime.There's a swimming pool.Steak house next door and several other restaurants in the neighbourhood. And close to S.Diego.The prices are between 44 and 58 $. Paul

kmpordagee Nov 24th, 2005 04:15 AM

I live in north San Diego and I wouldn't recommend Chula Vista for the same reason that I would recommend my area either. You will be about 20 - 25 minutes from most places that you want to visit, via the freeway, and you will be traveling with traffic when you want to go and return, so it could be a much longer commute. I would consider Mission Valley as the other posters have suggested. But I wouldn't be worried about my safety in Chula Vista if you decide to stay there. It's a nice, small city. Btw, I just looked up the location of the Holiday Inn Express in CV and it's pretty far south. Driving time will be an issue.

I had company in town this summer and they booked rooms at a Residence Inn off of Clairemont Drive (near the 163) via Priceline for about $50 per night. This location isn't Mission Valley, but it is not too far away. They loved the location and the property for what they paid. Check out the bidding zones first on biddingfortravel.com .

SandyBrit Nov 24th, 2005 11:17 AM

richardaw:

Do you know about the Convention & Visitors website for San Diego? Go to www.sandiego.org and you will find a lot of good information. It is easy to order a free planning booklet including one on golf. This website also gives a nice detailed map of all the golf course and cost.

The cost of your hotel can vary according to the time of year. When are you planning to visit?

One of my favorite places to stay is The Inn at Sunset Cliffs located at 1370 Sunset Cliffs Boulevard - website is www.inatsunsetcliffs.com. We stayed in a one-bedroom kitchen suite and found the cheapest rate by calling the inn direct. See reviews at www.tripadvisor.com.

Good luck and welcome to this forum.

Sandy

SandyBrit Nov 24th, 2005 11:39 AM

Correct website for The Inn at Sunset Cliffs is www.innatsunsetcliffs.com.

Sandy