Christmas trip Atlanta to South Carolina

Old Jul 24th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas trip Atlanta to South Carolina

My family is from Washington State. We are attending a wedding in Greenville SC on New Year's day. My husband is in a wheelchair so we want direct flights only. Our current plan is to fly from Seattle to Atlanta. Atlanta seems to have the most nonstop flight options. It will be the two of us and our college age kids traveling. We are deciding between flying out around the 20th and spending Christmas or flying after Christmas. We will return home Jan 3 or 4. If we spent Christmas we would like it to be a destination not just a Holiday Inn Express along the freeway. We are disappointed that we will be there in the winter because we would love to spend some time on the beach but are trying to make the best of it. We will be renting a wheelchair van in Atlanta. We are thinking a road trip from Atlanta to the coast Savannah/Charleston area but we know nothing about what to see. Our interest are hiking, historical sites and beaches. The boys do not want to miss the CNN tour or Coke tour in Atlanta. We would love to hear your ideas and driving suggestions.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

My daughter is very interested in lighthouses so we would like any suggestions for that as well.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 05:45 AM

The coast near Charleston is nice, and the city at Christmas is beautiful. The down side is that the old sidewalks make using a wheelchair tough. The lighthouses in NC are more interesting than those in SC, IMO. The weather is usually nice because the sun is strong. When I lived in Charleston I wen to Seattle for work. I liked it fine, but I was happy to see the sun when I got home.

Asheville is another option. The Biltmore is stunning at Christmas.

I haven't been to Greenville in a long time. Other posters can give you options for things to do there.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 07:37 AM

Greenville itself will also be great--wonderful art museum. Charleston would be terrific as would Asheville--Starrs is right on.
I was going to suggest looking at flights to Charlotte, but you have things you want in Atlanta. As a "for instance", charlotte is only 3.5 hours from Charleston and about 2 from Greenville.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 10:57 AM

Hey, Gretchen, it's me. But thanks for the compliment!
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 01:42 PM

OH OH--I must have teleported into this!!
Yes, Sue is RIGHT!! LOL
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 02:04 PM

Hey, I'm not complaining!