Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Christmas Ski Vac (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/christmas-ski-vac-630507/)

LiVinLARGE Jul 12th, 2006 04:26 PM

Christmas Ski Vac

I am toying with two different trips over the Christmas holidays.
Vermont or SLC?
Obviously SLC is better skiing but I want the whole package. I'm not overly impressed with the SLC atmosphere but is Vermont worth it considering crowds? Snow or lack thereof? Can you snowmobile in Vermont?

All info is helpful.

Dohlice Jul 12th, 2006 05:08 PM

I like Vermont, I don't think the crowds are bad. I've also snowmobiled around the Killington/Okemo area.

I'm really not sure if you'll be able to ski that early. We've been having some bad seasons.

starrsville Jul 12th, 2006 05:19 PM

Sometimes you can get great ski deals to Europe (as in cheaper than US trips)

LiVinLARGE Jul 13th, 2006 05:06 AM

THe $ is down right now to the euro so i figured that would be out of the question.

I would never have thought Vermont would have a problem with snow in late Dec. but I have heard other people say that as well?

padams421 Jul 13th, 2006 08:08 AM

The skiing is far superior in SLC. Look at Deer Valley, Park City or perhaps Sundance for atmosphere plus snow.

MFNYC Jul 13th, 2006 08:15 AM

The crowds coyuld be awful in vermont, I've been there. I've also been to Parkcity, and there are crowds there as well. Dinner time is the worse. Wherever you go, try to make at least a few dinner reservation in advance. I did for Park City this past holiday break. Without ther reservation the waits were well over an hour. I've also been to vermont. We made most of our reservation when we got there. Alos, lots of waits.

That time of year, VT is iffy with snow. I think Park City is much better.

LiVinLARGE Jul 13th, 2006 09:43 AM

ok, if vermont is iffy for snow in late Dec I assume that snowmobiling is definetly out???

i know that any location will be packed over the holiday but i figured vermont could be worse since it is within driving distance to the congested east coast.

Loki Jul 13th, 2006 11:04 AM

SLC, no question. You just can't count on good snow that early in VT. Can you snowmobile in VT? Yes. During XMAS 2006? Nobody knows. Last year, mid-Feb, my buddy hauled his sleds up to Quebec because it was all rain in VT, so you can never really plan that far in advance without potential disappointment.

repete Jul 13th, 2006 12:32 PM

Is it worth the stress for the next few months if you book iffy Vermont when you know SLC will be skiable?

What are your priorities for ``atmosphere''? in the SLC area?

maria_so Jul 13th, 2006 01:36 PM

How about Yosemite for Christmas? There's skiing at badger pass and the Christmas atmosphere looks pretty good too! (I've not been but have seen pictures of friend's spending winter there - looks nice).

New Mexico is also another place that would be good (Taos Area).

maria_so Jul 13th, 2006 01:37 PM

Hmmm, still having posting issues. I meant to include this link:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/activity...amp;PageID=137

I know it's neither SLC or Vermont but thought you may want the other options.

lincasanova Jul 13th, 2006 01:39 PM

SLC by all means.
you have so many resorts to choose from.
in fact, we met some people who actually always stay at the airport hotels (great prices) and get right on highway to a different resort everyday.

about 20 minutes or so in all directions.

the layout is great, and do not miss the atmosphere at deer valley.

we enjoyed touring some of the days, and one day my husband and son went to a fly fishing class on the river.
we also visited sundance for lunch.

unforgettable trip.

BarryK Jul 13th, 2006 02:25 PM

SLC by far. There's no comparison.

LiVinLARGE Jul 13th, 2006 03:14 PM

Thanks for the input.

Taos - I have family in NM and they said there really wasn't a ski season last year for lack of snow - not sure if that included Taos but I don't want to take that chance.

Tahoe is an option but I really want ease this Christmas and SLC or MHT are non-stops for me.

I went to SLC last Christmas and thought the skiing was incredible but as lincasanova said - we booked downtown hotels for dirt cheap and I wasn't impressed with the "festiveness" of SLC holiday season. Even Park City didn't do much for me. I thought Vermont would provide the quaint holiday atmosphere - with great activities - albeit not the best snow

enzian Jul 13th, 2006 03:58 PM

We spent a wonderful Christmas as Snowbird/Alta a few years back. I can't remember if it was on Christmaw eve or New year's (we were there for both), but they had a great torchlight parade down from the top of High Rustler at Alta---a long line of firelight snaking down the hill. We thought the festive atmosphere was very nice the whole 10-day vacation.

corwin Jul 13th, 2006 10:22 PM

it will not be crowded on christmas for skiing in vermont. the snow conditions could be questionable, but you'll have an idea of the conditions by thanksgiving....if the mountains are already getting snow to build a base by then, well, then we'll be skiing at christmas in new england. check the almanac. they are usually pretty accurate about volume of snow over a season....
sounds crazy, i know. but we read it, and it seems to work for us.

lincasanova Jul 14th, 2006 12:14 AM

have you skiied breckenridge and copper mountain?
great atmosphere in breck, also

fabulous snowmobile tours.. indoor recreation center also open to the public, just about anything you want and it IS festive at xmas.. lights, music..horse sleds.. miner's dinners.. gold mine tours.. fun place for family.

free transport between all the ski areas that is really efficient.

copper gives (still???)free mountain tours everyday which worked out really well for us.. i did not have to go off with adrenalin boosted hubby and son, but could ski calmy with a group of my same interest.

breack has wonderful family runs also.

we will go after xmas day.. for about 8 days before returning to spain.

have been several times.. not looking forward to the low temps.. would have rather gone to SLC, but anyway.. plans are in the making.