Search

Flagstaff or Sedona

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flagstaff or Sedona

We are spending a week in the Flagstaff, Sedona area. Is there any advantage in staying in Flagstaff or Sedona as a base for day trips in the are? What accommodations are recommended? We like upscale value (Marriott, Hilton, etc.) and would prefer a suite of 2 bedrooms for two couples.
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Advantages depend on the time of year, among other things. In winter Flagstaff has more snow. But any time Sedona is most likely the more expensive option. If you like upscale/touristy then Sedona's got it. If you like a real town, university atmosphere then Flagstaff.
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 03:14 PM

A lot depends on time of year. In winter Flag (that's what locals like to call it---I'm not one) will be snow covered and storms can move in at anytime. Flag is a working (lumber, railroad) and university (Northern Arizona) town. Has good access to Grand Canyon. Sedona may have some snow, is touristy, and gas beautiful scenery.
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM

Lived in Flag one winter... loved it. If you are looking for casual and reasonable, go with Flag. The weather can be an issue. Sedona.. Beautiful. Take the "schnebly hill" trip if you have time. (the pink jeep tours) however the pink jeep tours are probably limited in the winter. Flagstaff restaurants... beaver street brewery and a nice hole in the wall italian restaurant nearby.
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We plan to go Jan.2-9. Our impressions have lined up with your advice. We may look at the weather forecast before we decide.
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Flag is a great base for me. I have been back and stayed there several times for day trips to sedona, Grand Canyon, etc. Dress in layers!!! Remember, Flag is about 7000 ft elevation so weather changes quickly.