Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Christmas in Boston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/christmas-in-boston-486946/)

jonldn Nov 20th, 2004 06:19 AM

Christmas in Boston

Planning trip to Boston 12/23 01/01 apart from 1st night are there any other " must dos" in Boston for Christmas - FYI we have been to most of the museums - Blue Man Group - Shear Madness etc thinking more festive things!

We are a party of 5 ages from 12 to 72!

Thanks

John

gail Nov 20th, 2004 08:32 AM

The traveling version of NY Radio City Christmas Show is doing a Boston visit this year. Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market shopping area always has nice decorations - often there is also music or other entertainment. On the Boston Common, Frog Pond is flooded, refrigerated, Zambonied for skating and they have skates to rent - or nice to just watch. They also do a nice job decorating the trees on the Common. Everyone says Black Nativity is wonderful, although I admit to never having seen it. Boston Ballet does the Nutcracker, if you are not weary of the Nutcracker. Various churches, local groups do Messiah - some with sing-along option - Thursday edition of Boston Globe always has many listings.

If you want to venture a little outside of downtown (with a car) and are into winter participatory sports, you can ski on small hills at Blue Hills and Bradford (Haverhill) - each 30-45 minutes roughly from downtown. Also, tubing at Amesbury Sports Park if it snows. Each place rents everything you need except warm clothes.

sharona Nov 20th, 2004 09:21 AM

Another chance for outdoor ice skating is just outside the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square in Cambridge. Here's what the Boston Globe had to say this week on the new rink:

"Urban ice skaters who prefer their figure eights al fresco have been confined to the Frog Pond in Boston Common in recent years. But on Dec. 11, the Charles Hotel opens its own 2,900-square-foot lighted outdoor skating rink. The ice will be open daily from noon-6 p.m. And unlike the Frog Pond, skaters will be able to purchase rink-side refreshments from Henrietta's Table, such as vanilla-infused hot chocolate, mulled cider, and hot toddies. Or, for a little apres-skate warmth, head inside and sip a barn burner (Southern Comfort, cinnamon stick, grated lemon rind, hot apple cider) or a snowy boulevard (vanilla vodka, coffee liquor, and hot cocoa). Rink time at the Charles Hotel will cost $5, while skate rental will set you back another $5 for adults, and $3 for tykes under 12. Stop by Dec. 11 for a day of free skating to celebrate the rink's grand opening."

cigalechanta Nov 20th, 2004 09:24 AM

I saw that. I wish they's put back the rink that was at the Prudencial Center.

cigalechanta Nov 20th, 2004 09:35 AM

Prudential! sorry

jonldn Nov 22nd, 2004 04:24 AM

Thank you all for the tips! Ice Skating....mmmm Maybe sitting sipping a warm drink watching others whizz by is more likely!

Rgds

John

bennnie Nov 22nd, 2004 06:15 AM

Unfortunately, the Amesbury Sports Park has gone out of business.

For other Boston activities there is also the Revelers at Sanders Theater in Cambridge.

But the granddaddy of Boston Christmas celebrations is the Holiday Pops! with the Boston Pops at Symphony Hall. I checked a few weeks ago and Christmas Eve shows were still available. Call the Symphony box office for helpful staff and low service fees. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a table for 5 on the floor. Santa Claus will make a visit, there is a singalong, appropriate for all ages.

gail Nov 22nd, 2004 11:46 AM

bennnie - how could I have forgotten about the Pops! I thought Amesbury had changed ownership and given it a second try - but now that you mention it, I think you are correct - have to settle for tubing illicitly at local golf courses.

jonldn Nov 22nd, 2004 02:48 PM

Dear Bennnie - Thanks for that suggestion!!! I have booked for 12/26 7.30 - It sounds FANTASTIC!

Love light and peace and a very happy thanksgiving to you all!

John

Sara Nov 22nd, 2004 06:43 PM

A wonderfully fun performance to attend is the Christmas Revles, at Sanders Theater on the Harvard campus in Cambridge. It's a Winter Solstice celebration, with wonderful music, dance, morris dancers, a mummers play, a large cast of adults and children, instrumental musicians, and audience participation - both in songs (rounds and others), and a dance that snakes out into the lobby at the end of the first act. Each year they have a different theme, highlighting holiday and solstice traditions of a different country or culture, This year it's the Quebecois culture. Our family goes every year, and have since our children were very small - it's one holiday tradition we would not do without!! There are 18 performances over a two and a half week period, running until Dec. 28. If you're interested, I would not wait until the last minute to get tickets, as it is hugely popular, and performances often sell out. You can find out more info and performance times at www.revels.org. You could combine this with doing some exploring in Harvard Square, and maybe have dinner at one of the good restaurants in the Square.

Sara Nov 22nd, 2004 06:44 PM

Oops, I should proofread more carefully before I hit send - that's Christmas Revels, not Revles.

cigalechanta Nov 22nd, 2004 06:49 PM

I second Sara's suggestion.

bennnie Nov 23rd, 2004 05:20 AM

jonldn - Great! We're going on the 19th so I'll post a mini trip report.

gail - re: Amesbury Sports - I think the second owners wanted to put in a strip club of all things. I think that got quashed. We stick to the hills in West Newbury for our sledding. Pipestave Hill is great.

bennnie Dec 3rd, 2004 07:51 AM

jonldn - In case you have room in your budget for any more Christmas festivities, some tickets are being discounted. Here's the article from Boston.com

Mayor Thomas M. Menino is playing Santa Claus. In a season of slow ticket sales, he announced yesterday a new $10 discount ticket program for certain performances of nine holiday-themed shows.

Included are Boston Ballet's "Nutcracker," Handel & Haydn Society's "Messiah," Ballet Rox's "Urban Nutcracker," "Black Nativity," "Christmas From Dublin," Chorus pro Musica's "Joyeux Nol!," Boston Gay Men's Chorus's "Holiday Serenade," "The Radio City Christmas Spectacular" (otherwise known as the Rockettes), and the Christmas Revels.

"Our 'Holiday Special' puts the city's famous traditions within closer reach for families, visitors, and residents to enjoy," Menino said.

The program is a joint project between the performing arts community, the mayor's office, and ArtsBoston, and follows on the heels of the successful "Thank You, Boston!" campaign designed to bring people to restaurants, theaters, and stores after the Democratic National Convention.

For information and tickets, visit www.cityofboston.gov/arts. In addition to the ticket discount, area parking garages will offer reduced rates, and Boston is again offering free metered parking on Saturdays through Jan. 1.

shaz60 Dec 3rd, 2004 07:58 AM

Beware the two hour limit on the free metered parking. Globe reports that Boston collects more than average ticket amounts during the free Saturdays because they are so vigilant on people overstaying their welcome (and free spot).

Sally30 Dec 3rd, 2004 11:36 AM

Check the website www.metaboston.com for some interesting and sometimes offbeat things to do.
For a little splurge, a drink in the Four Seasons (i forget what the new name is but used to be the bristol lounge) is fun and overlooks the beautifully decorated boston common and public garden.

bennnie Dec 21st, 2004 07:28 AM

jonldn - As promised, here's a mini report on the Holiday Pops concert. You're going to love it. The choir was wonderful, the Pops great. The music selection is very festive. There's a reading of an abbreviated version of A Christmas Carol. There are different readers scheduled - our performer was very animated and humorous. I was not looking forward to this part of the program but enjoyed to far more than I thought I would. Did you book a table? If so get there a little early to so you enjoy refreshments.

JBX Dec 22nd, 2004 09:15 AM

>
http://www.bostonphoenix.com
http://www.boston.com

And if you want to SEE the city, here's a webcam atop the Pru -- http://www.earthcam.com/usa/massachu...on/prudential/

goslide Dec 29th, 2004 10:28 AM

Amesbury Sports Park Snow Tubing is still open. We haven't opened yet for this season 04-05, but we are working on it. We are aiming for this Saturday Jan 1. Please visit our website www.goslide.com to check the latest news

bennnie Jan 4th, 2005 08:00 AM

Goslide - thanks for the update on the sports park. We'll have to go check it out - that is if it ever gets cold enough around here to go sledding again! Good luck this winter. I really hope it works out for you!