Christmas Day - Santa Fe to Albuquerque

Aug 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Christmas Day - Santa Fe to Albuquerque

I will be visiting NM in December for 10 days and I have just about finalized my itinerary, except for Christmas Day. We will be driving from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, but because it will be Christmas Day, I am discovering that just about everything will be closed (and rightfully so), but it sure is making things difficult.

Itinerary so far -:
Tucson to Silver City (1 night)
Silver City to Santa Fe (4 nights)
Santa Fe to Albuquerque (3 nights)
Albuquerque to Silver City (2 nights)
Silver City to Tucson

In Sante Fe we are planning on visiting Taos, Bandelier, Museums, shopping, basically as much as we can fit into the time we have.
Can we visit Tent Rocks the same day as Bandelier, or do you think that would be too much driving in a day. (Was hoping to do Tent Rocks on the way to ABQ, but they are closed on Christmas).
Should we linger in SF on Christmas Day or should we head straight to ABQ and look for something there.
My DH is no help, he leaves everything to me to plan (he smiles and says "oh, you'll figure it out". Gee, thanks honey). I am starting to get vacation planning burnout!!

Hoping for some suggestions here.
Thanks.
Aug 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM

First of all, you do know that it is usually pretty cold in NM during that time of year? Like snow cold? Are you used to/prepared for outdoor activities [hiking etc] in that kind of weather? Tent Rocks may be difficult to do due to possible ice. Taos will most definitely be cold and most likely snowy and icey. Are you experienced hikers?

That said; Bandelier and Tent Rocks is too much for one day.

As you said, most of everything will be closed on Christmas Day save dinners at hotel restaurants. I am not sure what Should we linger in SF on Christmas Day or should we head straight to ABQ and look for something there. means?? What does "something" refer too? Something to do, some place to have dinner?

I don't think it will make much of a difference where you are that day, honestly. It is a pretty dead day in both places.

Deb
Aug 18th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Taos last year was freezing -- bitter cold. I don't see any hiking going on during that type of weather.

As Deb said, it's pretty dead that day. There may be a restaurant or two that opens later but I can't recall which ones they were. The hotel restaurants and bars will be open and boy are the hoppin'!

The weather my be a deciding factor as well. A few years ago a blizzard came and shut down I-40 and I-25 leaving us in a quiet, winter wonderland in Santa Fe.
Aug 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes I do know that it will be cold & possibly snowy at that time of the year. We live in Alaska, and I can guarantee that it will be warmer in northern NM than Alaska in December!

"Something" refers to something to do. I'll keep looking for something around ABQ. Not really into eating a big Christmas dinner.
Aug 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM

There isn't going to be much to do; both cities are pretty faith oriented.

I looked: the zoo is closed, the museums etc will be closed. Stores will be closed.

You can always go for a walk along Nob Hill or along the Rio Grande in the bosque.
http://rt66central.com/
http://www.cabq.gov/openspace/paseodelbosquetrail.html

Petroglyph National Park is open http://www.nps.gov/petr/planyourvisit/hours.htm

River of Lights: This isn't open Christmas Day, but it is before and after, I went my first Christmas in NM and really liked it:

http://www.cabq.gov/biopark/garden/educationlights.html

Some other possibilites may be found here:
http://www.cabq.gov/fun/winter

Deb
Aug 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Three years ago, we spent Christmas Day in Santa Fe and used it for a day trip to Taos Pueblo where the natives are performing dances. You can watch them, it is a special atmosphere. The remainder of the day, we spent with driving through the fascinating landscape and some hiking, including a visit to White Rock Overlook and hiking around Tsankawi Cliff Dwellings (always open). On the way back, we visited Sanctuario de Chimayo. Quite a full day.
Aug 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Maybe it will just be a slow relaxing day. Rio Grande & Petroglyph sound good too.

Thanks again.
Sep 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM

I'm planningon skiing Taos between christmas and New Year's. Just how cold is it?
Sep 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Last year, there was heavy snowfall on Dec. 22. The ski areas opened on Dec. 24 and it was fabulous. It was still cold, especially near the summit - you need a hat and googles. But we skied in jeans and long johns which was perfectly sufficient. Still much warmer than in the Alps.
Sep 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM

aspenpines, where do you usually ski?
Sep 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Last year it was very cold at the ski resort for us when we were there over New Year's Eve. Every year is different but I'm not a fan of bitter cold and it was overcast and windy which made for chilly weather.