Christmas Coastal Southern California

Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Christmas Coastal Southern California

We are moving to Palo Alto in July and are hoping to meet up with family over Christmas.We'd like to stay on the coast but don't know that part of the coast at all. Any suggestions of towns to stay and/or houses/cabins/condos to rent? We will be 4 adults and two kids (8,15) and really just want to hang out and walk on the beach/inland. Our budget is limited maybe around $2000 for the week. We know people say the beach is too cold in winter but we're from England and a good day on the beach here it hits 65! Thanks for any advice.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM

I might start w/ this one http://www.pajarodunes.com/

It is on Monterey Bay (not in Monterey but up the bay bewteen Monterey and Santa Cruz) and has all sizes of houses/condos

(What part of England? )
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM

oops - read the post but missed the bit in the title about southern California. I'd still consider Pajaro Dunes, but it isn't in the south.

If you want to be down south try La Jolla - but over Christmas my guess is rates will be pretty high for a unit that size.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM

If it's not raining-and you know it never rains in Southern California-the beach is great for walking and in San Diego we have many, many miles of beach. There are lots of inland places to walk also, plus the Zoo, Balboa Park, Sea World and Disneyland's an hour and a half away (if you could stand the crowds at Christmas!). La Jolla is a good idea and there are rentals in other areas too like Mission Beach, Mission Bay, Pacific Beach. Del Mar is another nice place on the coast.

You might also consider the central coast, around Cambria even as far south as Santa Barbara. It's colder there, but you have beaches and you can easily drive inland to the wine country.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM

Laguna Beach
North of San Diego
California PArk system has just renovated the Crystal Cove Cottages
just google Crystal Cove cottages
Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I tried Crystal Cove on June 1st but wasn't successful for any time in December and it was all gone in an hour!
Will look into all other suggestions.
Am I right in thinking the further south you go the warmer it is and less chance of rain?
Thanks also for the Pajaro Dunes suggestion. We're also looking for a beach place nearer home (Palo Alto). We stayed at Capitola last time we we in Palo Alto for year and liked it.
janisj we live in the Cotswolds in England. About 15 miles from Cheltenham.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM

phidias1 - Here's another vote for San Diego. Have a look at www.sandiego.org for information on where to stay, what to do etc.

We visit yearly but go the hotel route so can't help with your weekly rental in a house/cabin/condo/flat.

Do come back with more questions if you decide on San Diego - there are some well informed posters on this board.

Sandy
Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:36 AM

We were practically neighbors. I'm a California girl born and bred - but for 5 years I lived between Oxford and Bicester. When I holiday in the area I'll usually rent a cottage somewhere in the Burford/Northleach/Stow triangle.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

janisj
We live in Stanton, Near Broadway. many people know this idyllic village as it is on the Cotswold Way walking trail. What a small world!
Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM

Know it well. I've been in the Mount lots of times The views!! Such a pretty village

Just about every time I take friends to that part of the World - one day will be Hidcote Manor, Hailes Abbey and a stop at the Mount Inn