Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Christmas Church Service in San Diego (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/christmas-church-service-in-san-diego-647823/)

Trav Sep 20th, 2006 11:11 AM

Christmas Church Service in San Diego

Due to family members being scattered this year, I have decided to spend Christmas alone (notice I said alone, not lonely) in San Diego. I think I’ll catch a flight in on Sunday morning (Christmas Eve) and return home on the 26th. I’m going to bid on Priceline trying for a 4 star Coronado although I’ll be content with something less. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I could attend a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day service? It does not have to be anything elaborate and denomination doesn’t matter. Also, I have never minded dining alone but would welcome a suggestion as to where I may do this without really standing out as a single diner on Christmas Day? Any other suggestion to pass the day would be welcomed.

mikemo Sep 20th, 2006 11:25 AM

Wow, amazingly focused questions.
Mary Star of the Sea RCC in LaJolla for services.
No idea what maybe open for Christmas dinner, but do a search on the www.tripadvisor.com forums site.
I would recommend George's in La Jolla and Thee Bungalow in Ocean Beach.
M

lcuy Sep 20th, 2006 11:26 AM

Christ Episcopal Church in Coronado is a beautiful old stone church with Tiffany windows and they have lovely services on Christmas Eve and Day.

St Paul's methodist also has nice services in a pretty, but modern church. Very welcoming parishoners as well.

TahitiTams Sep 20th, 2006 11:36 AM

Hi Trav..
A gorgeous church that might fit the bill is the Immaculata Parish at USD..
It is a beautiful church on the USD Campus..Google it and you will find it.
I suggest that you stay a little longer than a day and a half..
Hotel Del would be a great place to stay during Christmas..it is decorated so incredibly beautifully during the holidays that it is a sight to see.. locals always make a trek every year..stunning!
hoteldel.com
gloriettabayinn.com
coronadochamber.com
Glorietta Bay Hotel is across the street which has nice rooms too..
I would have a afternoon Christmas Dinner at the Del and I feel you won't be alone for to long, since most of us San Diegan's will embrace you to join on in with all the fun that is going on..
Do not settle for anything but a 4 star! I would book soon and Coronado is gorgeous and the town is decorated so beautifully and you will have such a wonderful time...if we go out for Christmas dinner, I will look for you at the Del and invite you over for Champagne and massive celebration..
Keep us posted Trav and Merry Christmas!

Trav Sep 20th, 2006 11:51 AM

WOW! I just made this decision an hour ago and with all of these suggestions, I'm ready to go! And, I just might extend that stay.

TahitiTams Sep 20th, 2006 11:51 AM

If you are going to be in La Jolla, I second mikemo suggestion for Mary Star of the Sea..I live 2 blocks away and it is a gorgeous church that will embrace you and George's at the Cove is outstanding too!
georgesatthecove.com