Reload this Page >

Chopper worth the $$$ on Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:05 AM
Maui Bob

I'm on a limited budget and would like to pick three activities on Maui worth the $$$. The thing I would most like to do is the helicopter ride however I would think the chopper ride would only be worth it along ocean cliffs like in Kauai.
Has anyone taken the rides on Maui?
Worth the $$$?
Is it best to get a ride on Maui that flies over Molokai as well?
Thanks and adios (is that Hawaiian?)

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:56 AM
Laura

Hello Maui Bob,
We put off doing the helicopter thing for a few years because I thought it would be a waste of $$$. Last fall we finally decided to do it and it is by far my most memorable experience of Hawaii. Second is whale watching. We were amazed at what we saw. It was almost spiritual. We did the Haleakela and Hana flight and used Blue Hawaiian helicopters. They were outstanding. We had a great pilot named Dave. What a great sense of humor he has. We are going back in a few weeks and are considering doing it again. If you book on line with Blue Hawaiian you get a discount, but I forget how much it was. Do not pass this chance up Bob. You can even get a video of your personal flight with you in the video. You will see waterfalls and pineapple fields and Haleakela is like something out of a science fiction movie. do it, do it, do it.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Maui Bob

Thanks Dr. Laura. I have considered booking on-line but fear doing so b/c I couldn't guarantee clear weather.
Anyone else with more info? I'm particularly interested in the flight that also takes in Molokai.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Pat

I second the message from Laura. You mentioned 3 activities on Maui. For me the bike ride down Haleakela was equally thrilling. It took half a day and was a major trip highlight. Hang loose.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Kauaikate

Hi Maui Bob I would say do it on Big Island or Kauai. Other posters have stated that the Maui copter tour is disappointing. Do a search.

I have never been able to bring myself to part with the bucks. I also don't like what the helicopter noise does to the area.

Last when I lived on Oahu there were frequent reports of accidents with different companies. With each new report the media would report on legislative efforts to make them illegal. Just a memory that keeps that cash in my pocket.

I travel over frequently and can tell you that you can see spectacular vistas if you are willing to hike. No you won't peer down into an active volcano cap on BI or witness the falls on MT Waialeale on Kauai. But you will see breath taking vistas. Can't comment on Maui lookouts but I am sure others or a hiking guide could.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:25 AM
Amy

We used Blue Hawaii for our helicopter ride in Maui and really enjoyed it. Our next favorite activity in Maui was the downhill bike ride.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:57 AM
Dr. Head

I'll weigh in on this also. While the helicopter ride around Maui is expensive, it is, IMHO, well worth it. I don't know about any that go to Molokai as well, but if they do, I'm sure it drives the price up further.

Ours had headphones that you put on, that the pilot talks to you through. When we took off, they played "Magic Carpet Ride". I've heard that song a thousand times before, and never really was a fan of it to be honest, but, now, everytime I hear that song, I immediately think about that helicopter ride on Maui.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:59 AM
Maui Bob

Thanks for all the responses. I have heard before that Kauai is the best place to do the ride b/c of the cliffs. I really wouldn't consider Maui but I noticed some trips leaveing from Maui going along Molokai. I believe Molokai has the highest cliffs in Hawaii so I'm wondering if that trip Maui is worth the $$$.

What is the avg $$ of the rides on Maui?? 30 min and 60 min?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
xxx

Maui Bob Molokai has the highest sea cliffs in the world

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
ttttt

tttt

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Scott

Look into something called the Sy Trek. It consists of a van ride to Hana and a helicopter ride back. I forget the price but its a great way to experience Maui.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:45 PM
bettyk

We used Blue Hawaii Helicopter Tours on the Big Island to fly over the volcano and it was fabulous. They have a great safety record. Check out their website:
http://www.bluehawaiian.com/maui_frameset.htm for tour info and prices.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 04:42 AM
Leena

Just one small thing to consider...

I took a small sightseeing plane on a tour about the islands. After about five minutes, my ears got so clogged, I couldn't wear the headphones. I guess, due to low altitude, the plane was not pressurized. I don't know if I'm using the right terminology, but I think you know what I mean. This was a small plane, not a helicopter.

I wish I thought of this and brought some gum or something to drink with me. I couldn't clear my ears for the life of me! The trip was very enjoyable, I just think I would have had a better time if I would've been able to clear those #*$&# ears!!

Note-this is a chronic problem for me whenever I fly. No one else on the trip had this problem. Just wanted to mention it so no one else would feel the pain I felt!!!