Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Choosing a Disney World hotel with a 14 month old

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 11:30 AM
chris

We are going to Disney in May and are in need of advice on the best hotel on disney grounds that is suited for a 14 month old. We are considering the boardwalk area (Swan/Dolphin or the Beach Club) but are not sure if it would be best to stay on the monorail.We are concerned about the bus transporation with our 14 month old. Also, we want to stay at a family oriented hotel and not one filled with conventioners. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 08:30 PM
Tiff

I would think that the Swan/Dolphin would be more likely to have conventioners than the other hotels. I know when I was there in January they did have some then. As for the transportation, buses or the monorail would both be fine, i would think. Most people are polite enough to let people with youngsters have a seat. You wouldn't have to worry about standing. You may want to consider asking either a travel agent or Disney themselves(whichever you are going through to book your trip). Have fun, and I hope this helped.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Ann

Last fall we stayed at the Boardwalk Villas with our two sons, then 6.5 and 12 months. This worked out great! The room included a kitchen and living/dining area and also had a porta-crib (one of the soft fold up ones) right in it, and also a small top/bottom washer and dryer! DEFINITELY great with kids if you can afford it! We used the boat launch to Epcot and MGM...very easy. We did get a rental car (with car seat) though, and just drove over to the Polynesian and parked and took the monorail when we went to the Magic Kingdom.

The bus isn't super easy, but we did have to take a short bus ride with the baby once (from the parking area to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness)and it wasn't that bad.

Hope that helps!

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 02:56 PM
Yvette

From previous experience traveling with a 9 month old baby at the time, I would highly recommend the Grand Floridian. It was very accomodating to kids without sacrificing the conveniences you may be accustomed to. Specifically, I appreciated having two family restaurants, one that had characters, the snack bar with juice, cereal, fruit, etc., The grounds are also nice to stroll the baby. Transportation via the monorail made it exceptionally convenient especially when you are traveling with strollers, baby bags, etc., I have also stayed at the hotel you are considering and although it is a nice facility, I think it has more of a convention feel. The Grand Floridian is more condusive to families. P.S. Become a Magic Kingdom Gold card member for impressive savings at the hotel. Good luck and enjoy!

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 09:30 AM
sara

Dear Chris,
The responses so far give good recommendations if money is not a factor. Any resort on Disney property that is geared for families (suite or condo types) will be very expensive. After researching very carefully last fall, my family of 6 chose to stay off-site. Some people think you won't get the "true" Disney experience this way, but we were very pleased with our choice and liked getting away from the parks each evening. The careful research got us a rental home only 3 miles and 5 minutes away. Be warned that some homes and hotels are much farther away. Regardless of where you chose to stay, I would suggest going to Pete Werner's website "www.wdwinfo.com" and posting your question on either the "Trip Planning" or "Disney with Families" or "Resorts and Restaurants" discussions boards. You will get lots of opinions there!

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 10:39 AM
Mark

Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Villas would be fine. Monorail service and connection to Epcot. Is the 14 month old the only child in the party? I don't think you have to worry about going wrong at any of the Disney resorts. Just enjoy and relax!

Mark
http://btsalltravel.tripod.com