Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Choice of places to go in North america during November -December time frame (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/choice-of-places-to-go-in-north-america-during-november-december-time-frame-395632/)

sharu Feb 5th, 2004 08:50 AM

Choice of places to go in North america during November -December time frame

Hi,
Other than Mexico and Hawaii,can you please suggest places to visit during November -December.I am not into skiing.Looking for places with some sight-seeing to do.
Appreciate your suggestions.By the way ,I live in the bay area.
thank you.

jenifer Feb 5th, 2004 09:12 AM

Do you need it to be warm? Any of the major cities are nice, and have nice Christmas decorations that time of year, but some are quite cold as well.

Also, does sight-seeing to you mean natural/outdoor sights or cities/museums/etc.?

travellyn Feb 5th, 2004 09:14 AM

San Antonio, Texas. It gets very festive between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It has the Riverwalk, the missions, and the Mexican culture. The Hill Country is also nearby, if you get sick of the city.

sharu Feb 5th, 2004 09:28 AM

Thanks of the quick response.I am not particularly looking for warm weather.It's just that I do not prefer a lot of snow which requires tire chains etc.San Antonio sounds great.I have never been to Texas.I love nature an outdoors. I Always travel with my husband and 3 wonderful kids (8,5 and 3).

Photodog Feb 6th, 2004 05:15 AM

If you like wildlife Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge can't be beat. Snow and Canada geese, sandhill cranes, whooping cranes (rare), coyotes located south of Socorro. Need to be there for the sunrise flyout or late in the day when they return to the water after feeding in nearby fields. Also near by are the Very Large Array (some of Close Encounters filmed here)it is a number of radio telescopes, has small visitor center. It is W of Socorro on US60. Near Alamogordo is Whites Sands National Monument and Three Rivers Petroglyph site where can walk among boulders for a couple of miles looking at prehistoric rock art. Albuqerque has the National Atomic Museum. Roswell the UFO craze.
If you are into birds, Florida in winter is a great time to go. Few bugs and many birds. Try Everglades National Park or Corkscrew Swamp and the state parks in the southern part of the state such as Myakka.

Sandra_NH Feb 6th, 2004 07:33 PM

Have traveled between Thanksgiving and Christmas many times. In Clearwater and Tarpon Springs you will see plastic ten foot high snowmen, and boats decorated with wreaths and bright lights. In Kansas City, the country club plaza is elaborately decked out, horse drawn carriages trot by, an ice skating rink is set up in front of the Hallmark Center. NYC has its best foot forward and attracts many tourist at that time.

The place that impressed me the most for that time of year was San Antonio. I arrived the Friday after Thanksgiving. Every bridge crossing the river walk was decorated with Christmas lights, music played every where, mostly Mariachi versions of Jingle Bells and Feliz Navidad. The parade of boats was fun to watch. Santa arrived on top of a Harley on the last boat. The place was very lively the whole weekend. There was plenty to take in, and many choices for food along the river walk. For history, the IMAX presentation is a good introduction for the Alamo next door.

nytraveler Feb 6th, 2004 08:03 PM

Why not come to New York - everyone else seems to between Thansgiving and Christmas - and seen to have a great time. tons of sightseeing - great plane fares if you buy in advance and you don't have to worry about tire chains since you have no use for a car.

sharu Feb 8th, 2004 01:32 PM

Hi,
Thanks for all the good suggestions.I will let you know,where we have decided to go in the later months.Please have all your suggestions coming.