Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chocoholics! Where is the Best Chocolate in NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chocoholics-where-is-the-best-chocolate-in-nyc-732036/)

AJPeabody Aug 26th, 2007 03:45 PM

Chocoholics! Where is the Best Chocolate in NYC?

It's been years since I've surveyed the chocolates available in NYC. I had settled on Maison de Chocolat as best, closely followed by Neuhaus (and I'm sure I just misspelled it), but how about now?

I'm not talking fancy packages, gold leaf designs, unique shapes, etc. Just the pure gustatory pleasure of chocolate, price be damned. I have two categories: Chocolate and filled chocolates.

So, are there any contenders to challenge Maison de Chocolat? All proposals must make candy that is better than Godiva. I'll try them out and decide.

GerdaFaust Aug 26th, 2007 03:50 PM

Leonidas (if they're still around) from Belgium. Used to be on the east side of Madison in the 40s. Also, check out the ground floor of ABC Carpet, near Union Square.

Aduchamp1 Aug 26th, 2007 04:09 PM

Little known Kee's could be the best. Kee was either a lawyer or a banker and gave it up

Jacques Torres is wonderful as well as Payard's truffles.

Maison is excellent as is Teuescher.

In terms of value but no where as good is Evelyn's on John Street. Hers cost a mere fraction of the others.

Godiva should not be mentioned with the others.

AJPeabody Aug 26th, 2007 04:16 PM

Aduchamp1 Thanks! Where do I look for them?

travelbuff Aug 26th, 2007 05:33 PM

Yes ABC Carpet would be a good place to stop which is on Broadway and 18th St, and from there head downtown to The Fat Man on Broaday just south of 14th ST. Amazing chocolate there.

nyer Aug 26th, 2007 05:42 PM

travelbuff, you'd think he'd be "the fat man" but I think you mean
Max Brenner: Chocolate by the bald man!
;)

2 locations, the other is on Second avenue at 9th street

mclaurie Aug 26th, 2007 05:42 PM

"Where do I look for them"

Try a google.com search with those names in nyc.

travelbuff Aug 26th, 2007 05:43 PM

So sorry had to repost. Upon thinking of my post the name is the Bald Man, of course eating too much chocolate might make him the fat man, but the name of the restaurant/cafe/chocolate is the Bald Man. lol.

happytrailstoyou Aug 26th, 2007 05:48 PM

For really great chocolate, check out Cacao Reserve by Hershey's. It lacks the cachet of some of the swanky places mentioned here, but it is truly great chocolate (and you don't have to go to NYC to get it).

luv2fly Aug 26th, 2007 05:56 PM

Leonidas THE BEST BELGIAN CHOC!!!

1-800-900-CHOC

485 Madison Avenue, (I believe 51st/52nd St.)
NYC 10022

kealalani Aug 26th, 2007 05:56 PM

mrchocolate.com

Aduchamp1 Aug 26th, 2007 06:41 PM

They are on line or when you get NY get Zagat's Market Place. I think they are all listed.

ellenem Aug 27th, 2007 06:18 AM

I have a fondness for Li-lac Chocolates, an New York institution. At their old location on Christopher Street, you could see them making the chocolates in the back room. Now their main store is on Hudson Street. They have an outpost in the market at Grand Central.

http://www.li-lacchocolates.com/

They have bars of dark, milk and white chocolate embedded with fruits an nuts in many combinations. Their chocolate covered cherries are amazing.

They have filled handmade chocolates that follow the traditional techniques: the chocolate 'swirl' R tells you that it is a Raspberry cream, O for Orange, L for Lemon, and so forth.

ggreen Aug 27th, 2007 06:47 AM

Agree with Aduchamp, and that Maison du Chocolat has terrific chocolates. (And yes, you spelled Neuhaus correctly. :) )

I'd add:
- <b>Vosges Haut Chocolat</b> on Spring Street. Yes, the shop is quite funky looking (very purple!) but the bars with additions such as gray sea salt and almonds are true gustatory pleasures.
- As Aduchamp mentioned, <b>Kee's</b> is a tiny place right around the corner from Vosges. Get there early, because once they're sold out, that's it for the day!
- <b>Marie Belle</b> farther south in SoHo (Broome Street?). Beautiful filled chocolates, and a lovely tea room in back.
- <b>Jacques Torres</b>. There is a Hudson Street location, or visit the original in DUMBO Brooklyn (it makes a nice combination with walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, if you're so inclined). You can watch chocolate being made - and the results are divine! Jacques Torres is also renowned for his hot chocolate.
- <b>Pierre Marcolini</b> on Park Ave in midtown has to be the finest Belgian chocolate made. (I like Leonidas, but this is way better!) Some of the bars are defined by where the chocolate comes from, and all are deep, rich goodness! (The filled chocolates are far from shabby, either.)
- And what I think is the most expensive chocolate in town - and worth it! - is <b>Debauve et Gallais</b> in the 60's on the Upper East Side. A chocolate bar is $12! The flavor is full and subtle at the same time; really great. They were chocolatiers to the French crown, and got their start making candies for Marie Antoinette.

<b>Max Brenner's Chocolate by the Bald Man</b> (two locations in the Village, the most accessible of which is on Broadway between 13th and 14th Streets) is fun and eclectic to go to, but always crowded and is just not quite on the level of the other places I've mentioned. And don't bother with the cafe; food is pretty hit or miss. His ideas are really unique though!

---
Do I have a favorite? That's sooo difficult to answer! I guess if I only had time to stop at one (Maison du Chocolat included), and as you said the chocolate itself was the priority over ambiance and any fancy design... it would be Pierre Marcolini. I feel a need to go to midtown as I type! :)

I know all of the places I've mentioned have websites, so google away - and enjoy!

michelleNYC Aug 27th, 2007 07:45 AM

Jacques Torres!

nycuwsapt Aug 27th, 2007 09:41 AM

If you make it up to the Upper West Side near Columbia, you might want to give Mondel's a try. I would always bring home a box for my mom when I'd go back to the Midwest on vacation from school. We absolutely love their truffles, especially grand marnier and raspberry. They also have a web site you can check out here: http://www.mondelchocolates.com/

marginal_margiela Aug 27th, 2007 05:10 PM

I completely agree about Kee's in Soho. The shop is tiny and hard to find. I think it is on Thompson St. I always remember it by going down W. Broadway, turning at ORIGINS, walking over to Thompson, turning right, go down to end of block and cross street (Broome? Spring?). It is right near the corner.

karens Aug 27th, 2007 05:53 PM

ABC Carpet and Home has a Michel Cluziel Chocolate Bar.

And Kee's has a great creme brulee truffle.

Aduchamp1 Aug 27th, 2007 06:06 PM

Kee's address is
80 Thompson St between Spring and Broome

tovarich Aug 28th, 2007 12:27 AM

Nothing in the world compares to Belgian chocolates.If you can find Leonidas or Godiva go for it.The same goes for our beer.Greetings from Belgium.PAul