clockwise or counterclockwise on BI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning on visiting the Big Island in late May or early June, for about 2 weeks. I've been reading previous posts, but have a few questions:
* Which airport is best to fly into? Is Hilo the airport with direct mainland connection and Kona for interisland flights only?
* We (two couples) are planning on 3-4 nights in the Hilo area, 2 nights at Volcano and about a week in the west for the beaches and snorkeling. So, as my message was titled, do we start in Hilo and enjoy the rainforest, then the volcano, and end with the beautiful water? Or...... beach, volcano then end with the wetter side? How have you enjoyed Hawaii?
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:50 PM

I believe both Kona and Hilo airports have flights to and from the mainland. It doesn't matter which one you start your vacation from. Kona will probably have more flights going in and out and more rental cars, etc., since that is the more popular tourist destination. My recommendation is if you start from Hilo, drive to Volcano then to Kona (clockwise direction). If your start is Kona, then drive to Volcano and into Hilo (counterclockwise). With a week in Kona, you will have lots of time to go north into Waimea (Kamuela) on a day excursion, as well as in the opposite direction and explore the Capt. Cook and Honaunau areas on another day.

Now that I think about it, I have always flown into Kona and driven to Hilo, both clockwise and counterclockwise direction.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:26 AM

Fly into Kona--I don't think that there are any direct flights into Hilo from the mainland--most flights go through Honolulu. Whether you start or end with Kona--it certainly a matter of personal preference.
My thoughts--Are you planning on staying in Hilo 3-4 nights? As an alternative, I would suggest staying along the Hamakua Coast. (Suggestions--Waipio Wayside B&B http://www.waipiowayside.com/;
Palm Cliffs http://www.palmscliffhouse.com/; or Waianuhea http://www.waianuhea.com/?source=adwords--the last two are more pricy than the first, but gorgeous. You still would be within a short drive to Hilo if there are things you want to do there. You could also easily explore Waipio Valley, Hawaiian Tropical Botanic Gardens, Laupahoehoe Point, Akaka Falls (all along the Hamakua Coast)and also easily go into Hilo. If you're there on Wednesday or Saturday, check out the Hilo Farmer's Market--not only fruits and vegies but lots of other arts, crafts and junk. Then go to Volcano for 2 days.
After Volcano, travel to Kona clockwise--you can stop at the Black Sand Beach at Punaluu, go to South Point with its green sand beach (if you want to hike to it), then onto Kona. That way you end with beaches and relaxation before you head home.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Ag3046

Kona is a larger airport than Hilo, and is the primary airport on Hawaii. There are more rental car franchises there. There are fewer direct mainland flights to Hilo. Southwest (ATA) does fly direct from Oakland to Hilo. I have always flown directly into Kona. Personally, I love flying into Kona, then having a few real great days on the beaches (Hapuna is my favorite). After a couple of lizard-like days, then I'm ready to get up and explore, and that's when I want to enjoy the volcano, and the beauty of the Hamakua Coast and Hilo areas. I like martym' susggestions. I never seem to allow enough time for the east coast and volcano areas. You are so lucky to have 2 weeks there.

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:00 AM

Aloha also flies direct (not non-stop) from Oakland to Hilo with a stop in Honolulu.

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:07 AM

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode "The Move", where Jerry teaches Gorge a s@x move that ends with a clockwise swirl, and when Gorge uses it he elaborates with a counter-clockwise swirl...

http://www.seinology.com/scripts/script-107.shtml
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Fly into Kona for sure! Hilo is very rainy and you'll be very disappointed as it isn't nearly as pretty or as sunny as the Kona area. I'd stay on the Kona side and do day-trips to the Rainforest/Akaka Falls etc.