Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chincoteague Pony Swim (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chincoteague-pony-swim-138141/)

Philip Jul 9th, 2001 07:57 PM

Chincoteague Pony Swim

I am thinking about going to Chincoteague VA to see the first day of the pony swim. Has anyone done this and can they give me any pointers? <BR> <BR>I am sure that all of the hotels are booked so I will probably have to stay outside and drive in. Can anyone tell me is there a good place to watch it and what time is a good time to be there? Any tips are appreciated.

Curious Jul 9th, 2001 08:26 PM

Just curious - Can someone tell me what "pony swim" is?

Misty Jul 10th, 2001 06:28 AM

Gee Curious didn't you ever read the classic children's book, "Misty of Chincoteague," when you were a child??? It's about the wild ponies on Chincoteague, why don't you go to your local library and check it out...

Curious Jul 10th, 2001 10:32 AM

Misty, As a matter of fact, I never did read that book growing up. I've never even heard of it. Nor have any of my 10 co-workers that I asked at this morning's meeting. Apparently it must not be a book that's on the reading list in California.

ceci Jul 10th, 2001 11:53 AM

Have not been to that area of VA in a long time, but if you can go to the library and find the New York Times travel section of Sunday, March 25,2001 there is an article about Chincoteague. The local chamber of commerce no. is 757-336-6161. Have never seen the pony swim, but my dad was from the area and heard alot of stories about it. Have a great time!

D Jul 10th, 2001 12:40 PM

that was a great book! - along with all the others Marguerite Henry wrote!

dave Jul 10th, 2001 01:26 PM

Beware of fierce mosquitos!

Wanting to know, too Jul 11th, 2001 07:47 AM

I have been wanting to go to Chincoteague for awhile and when I saw your question I was hoping I would get some info, too. Has anybody out there been to Chincateague during the "pony swim" or any other time of year????

Sue Jul 11th, 2001 08:27 AM

That sounds like such fun, I just loved that book! Philip, please let us know how it is if you get to go.

curious Jul 11th, 2001 08:36 AM

Hi! this is the other "curious". I have been to Chincoteague and I have read the book, as did my children, which is why we chose to go there as a stopover point while traveling to Williamsburg. We were there several days after the pony swim however and the rates were half of what they were during the swim. The beach is very nice as is the park area around the beach where you can view a lot of wildlife (including ponies). The town is O.K. but there wasn't a lot to do there so one night was really enough time to see everything. On the main drag was the best ice cream shop I have ever been to, in fact the line was out the door and down the street. If you do go make sure you stop there. IMHO it's worth the trip if you are nearby but definitely not a destination in itself.

judyAR Jul 11th, 2001 09:08 AM

Like others, I too was an avid fan of Henry and her books when I was younger. As a former English teacher and elementary librarian, I made certain that her books were on the shelf and available. When my husband and I vacationed along the east coast several years ago, I insisted on going to Chincoteague - just to say I was there. I didn't see much while there, but I still enjoyed myself just knowing where I was...and losing myself in somewhat fictional memories.

kam Jul 11th, 2001 09:20 AM

Lots of us in California have read Misty and loved it. I'll be watching to see what advice Philip gets. What a fun thing to do on a trip! Maybe combine it with D.C. or the Eastern shore of MD?? It starts me thinking.......

Hanna Jul 11th, 2001 09:28 AM

Everybody's talking about Chincoteague, Virginia, but the other "side" of the swim is in Assateague, Maryland. My husband and I spent a week in the Assateague area last year and LOVED it. We are going back on the 21st of this month. Assateague Island is part of the Assateague Island National Seashore and you can find out more info at http://www.nps.gov/asis/. <BR>

Frank Jul 11th, 2001 09:36 AM

Didn't the Hardy Boys round up those ponies one time and use them to solve a mystery?

Ann Jul 11th, 2001 09:40 AM

If you want to relax, Chincoteague is the perfect spot. Haven't gone during the pony swim. Went during Easter weekend, and couldn't get a B&B to save my life. Ended up in a nasty damp motel. Will definitely book ahead the next time. Island is lovely, and there are incredible trails. Nice place to spend a weekend. <BR> <BR>If you're camping (and don't mind misquitoes), Tom's Campground is the place.

xxx Jul 11th, 2001 03:36 PM

Obviously Curious is another fine example of the education system in this country gone awry, graduating people who can barely read...

Teach Jul 11th, 2001 03:39 PM

I am another teacher and Henry's books are required reading in my school and no I am not from California.

Philip Jul 12th, 2001 06:22 AM

Thanks to all of you who have responded so far. I read Ms. Henry's books when I was a child and put the pony swim on my list of things to do when I grew up. Well 30-some years later, I'm working through my list. <BR> <BR>To those of you who are interested, Chincoteague has a very helpful Chamber of Commerce that can be reached at the number posted by Ceci above or at their website www.chincoteaguechamber.com. <BR> <BR>A special thanks to all teachers for using Ms. Henry's books. They are wonderful books and, as you can tell, have stuck with me for many years. <BR> <BR>The pony swim takes place on July 25 and I'll post my impressions when I return.

Teach Jul 12th, 2001 08:43 AM

It's really wonderful when a book written eons ago can have such an impact on someone's life. To those of you who haven't had the pleasure of reading Henry's book, go to your library and check them out. Thanks Phil and we look forward to hearing your trip report.

Hanna Jul 12th, 2001 09:33 AM

I just realized, thanks to Philip's post, that our trip to Ocean City this year coincides with the Pony Swim on July 25, so I'm making arrangements to see the swim from Chincoteague. Thanks Philip!