Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   China Town - Ohau (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/china-town-ohau-397689/)

elvis957 Feb 10th, 2004 04:37 PM

China Town - Ohau

What is China Town like in Hololulu? I've heard that it's a "must see" while visiting. Has anyone been there? What can I expect?

slipperblue Feb 10th, 2004 05:02 PM

I wouldn't consider it a "must see." We drove by, but not very unique looking.

kip Feb 10th, 2004 09:27 PM

I love Chinatown in Honolulu. It's a little dirty and a little smelly and really full of character and color. Just walking through the markets is fascinating. We spent a morning there and then walked to I'olani Palace. We bought leis from women stringing them and really enjoyed ourselves. I wouldn't wander the area at night but it was great during the day.

Giovanna Feb 10th, 2004 09:32 PM

I agree it's a bit gritty but interesting and fun to visit. The leis bought there are a fraction of the price elsewhere in town. I think this is probably true of other souveniers as well. Iolani Palace is very interesting and I would consider that a must see.

MelissaHI Feb 11th, 2004 07:54 AM

<b>Oahu's</b> Chinatown is not necessarily a must see....if you have some time, then it's worth a visit. If you have only a few days on the island, you might prefer to take in other sights.

It is open every day; if you go on Saturdays or Sunday mornings it will be much more active but parking will be that much more scarce.

On Tuesdays, you can take a walking tour via the Chinese Chamber of Commerce.

Shanghainese Feb 11th, 2004 08:19 AM

I agree it's not a must see, it's tiny compared to the Chinatowns in other cities (NY, SF, LA, Oakland, Vancouver, Toronto, London, etc.) but has its own Hawaiian flavor.

wt88 Feb 11th, 2004 09:59 AM

Chinatown in Ohau is not much different than other Chinatowns in the 48 states. If you like Chinese food, then go there. Otherwise, it's not a must see and can be skipped. People were friendly and I went to a flourist and got some lai for very good price.

PakePorkChop Feb 11th, 2004 01:20 PM

Whether it is a &quot;must-see&quot; depends on your background and interest.

For instance, I find that visitors from the midwest or coastal areas without Chinatowns are the most curious and interested.

Similarly, those who live in cities with Chinatowns but haven't visited their own &quot;gateway communities&quot;
find that Honolulu's Chinatown, being the oldest and most cosmopolitan, to be more welcoming and accomodating.

There is no more exotic and curious neighborhood in Hawaii, so if you are interested in exploration, it is for you. If sun and sand is your thing, then maybe not.

Chinatowns are all about nooks and alleys. You cannot drive by, like Slipperblue, and see and hear what makes a Chinatown unique.

As Melissa suggests, there are inexpensive walking tours in Chinatown.
The Chinese Chamber of Commerce has one every Tuesday morning, two hours for $5 a head telephone 533-3181. Chinese Culinary Society has one every Thursday
for $15, dim sum lunch included, see and contact:

http://www.hawaii.rr.com/leisure/rev...bcritworld.htm

People like Melissa have been able to crawl around the Chinatowns of the world
(she went to TWO in Paris) are able to do that because they LOOK CHINESE. If you are &quot;curious but not yellow&quot;(dated joke here), you should consider the friendly confines of Honolulu's Chinatown.

MelissaHI Feb 11th, 2004 05:37 PM

OK OK this is true. I do take Chinatowns for granted!

Shanghainese Feb 12th, 2004 12:01 PM

MelHI and PPC: Now come on, where's the siblings' loving spirit?

PakePorkChop Feb 14th, 2004 10:53 PM

Confucious say, &quot;It is not possible for one to teach others who cannot teach his own family.+

MelissaHI Feb 15th, 2004 01:29 PM

You should hear us talk politics!