Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Child-safe beaches around LA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/child-safe-beaches-around-la-538053/)

BruceW Jun 20th, 2005 09:29 AM

Child-safe beaches around LA?

We'll be in Los Angeles in July for a week and I wondered what beaches might be good for our 9 and 5 year old girls (waves not too big, etc)?

Barbara Jun 20th, 2005 10:36 AM

I really can't help with specific beaches, but it's unlikely that there would be big waves at any. No beach, however, is "child-safe".

nytraveler Jun 20th, 2005 10:53 AM

Agree that no ocean beaches are child safe.

We had a tragedy just this week when a couple of small kids waded in too far when the parents looked away - and they were swept out into the deeper water. One drowned - as did a bystander who went in to try to rescue them.

Even with lifeguards parents must watch all kids like hawks anywhere near the ocean - for a 5 year old I would never let go of the child near the water. Even if they are good swimmers - the ocean is nothing like the pools they are used to.

(I auume you're talking about water safety - unless you have some other type of issue?)

gigib Jun 20th, 2005 11:07 AM

Our beaches can be calm or rough at any time, it all depends on the Pacific swells that may be coming in. Which ones are you planning on visiting? Usually the summer is pretty calm. Swim only nead a lifeguard tower, pay attention to the waves. There is a beach at Marina Del Rey that is called Baby Beach because it is protected by the harbor, but it's horribly polluted!

lvk Jun 20th, 2005 11:11 AM

The waves and undertow can be deceptively powerful at the Southern California beaches. (I once bruised a rib boogeyboarding as an adult) If your kids are not used to waves, they might be very intimidated.

That said, I have been taking my kids to the beaches in Hermosa, Redondo and Manhattan Beach since they were babies, and we have had no problems. They have a great deal of respect for the power the ocean.

Where are you staying in the L.A. area? If you are close to the South Bay beach cities, the Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach is a very family-friendly beach. It has no waves, lots of lifeguards, water slides, play fountains, playground equipment, etc. There are fees for parking and admission, however.

http://www.redondo.org/depts/recreat...on/default.asp

I believe there is a similar place in Orange County. In Corona del Mar, maybe? The place in Marina del Rey is called "Mother's Beach".

sfamylou Jun 20th, 2005 11:48 AM

Little Corona beach in Orange County is also good for kids. There are fantastic tide pools and no hard board surfing. But, as others point out, you can't take your eyes off the kids for a minute. Even with the life guard, even if they are strong swimmers, you need to be careful at the beach. (One note: this beach doesn't have a public parking lot or a snack bar).

J_Correa Jun 20th, 2005 12:52 PM

I remember swimming near the Santa Monica pier quite a bit when I was a kid. We used to go when the tide was going out and the waves were lower so we could swim.

tracys2cents Jun 20th, 2005 01:14 PM

Carpinteria has a reputation as "the safest", it's about an hour and 20 minute drive north of Los Angeles on the 101 Freeway.

suze Jun 20th, 2005 01:29 PM

It's not the size of the waves so much as the undertow, which you do not necessarily see. I'd stick to sand castles and wading only if you girls are not beach savvy & strong swimmers.

(I should know, I ate a LOT of sand growing up in so cal & getting tossed around by the undertow!)

bashfulLV Jun 20th, 2005 01:57 PM

Here's a second to the recommendation for Seaside Lagoon in Redondo Beach if you're going to be in the L.A. area. If you're in the Orange County area, there is a family-style beach with little to no waves over in back bay at Newport Beach - but I don't recall the exact name of it.

Be sure your kids understand the power of the ocean and teach them the old Hawaiian rule - "NEVER turn your back on the ocean" - and don't you EVER take your eyes off of them and you should be fine. Enjoy the beach - it is a wonderful and magnificent place to be.