Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

CHICARGO HOTEL? 4 SEASONS ? ALLEGRO? THE DRAKE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 1998, 04:18 PM
MEL SCARR

We have 4 days, three nights in chicago from the 1st of December. We are looking at the four seasons, The Drake and Hotel Allegro.
Can anyone help us make our decicion?
Australian couple, 1st time in Chicago.
Many thanks

Old May 18th, 1998, 06:47 PM
Shari

I've never heard of the Allegro. I do recommend the Raphael or the Tremont. Both are small upscale ?botique? hotels with wonderful service. You will pay top $$ there. Other good values for decent facilities in the Michigan Avenue area are Lenox Suites, Doubletree , and a Motel 6 that we haven't stayed at since it was a lovely little hotel called the Richmont. Email me with questions or other concerns. I can always call for you and get rates. The Drake is always nice, but in my opinion snooty and overpriced. Early December is a lovely time in Chi town, but the weekends really book up with families coming into the city to shop and see the Xmas decorations. We live 2 hours from Chicago and go 3-4 times a year.

Old May 19th, 1998, 01:41 PM
Lori Whitmore

If you want top of the line stay at the Ritz Carlton. Otherwise the best choice is the Drake. Location is great, right in the heart of everything. It is a wonderful "old world" hotel with all the amenities and great restaurants.

Old May 31st, 1998, 12:43 PM
Sue

In Chicago, we stayed at the Radisson Hotel and Suites at 160 E. Huron St. It is within a few feet of Michigan avenue, very clean and is a great location. It is not quite as expensive and luxurious as the Drake and Four Seasons. If they are within your budget, then definitely either the Drake or Four Seasons. I have never heard of Allegro.

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 09:11 AM
kam

Please stay at either the Drake or Ritz Carlton (it's located within the Water Tower shopping arcade--great if the weather turns bad.) The Cape Cod Room at the Drake is one of the oldest and best in the city. Please, please avoid the Marriott and the Hyatt---don't know the Allegro. Tremont is lovely small and old world, but if your budget allows--stay at one of the first two. Enjoy and we'll hope the weather will cooperate. Lived there a long time--don't go back except in May-October!! But, I'm sure you'll have fun.

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 04:03 PM
Vince Thompson

The Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton (Four Seasons managed) are the two top drawer hotels in Chicago; Both 5 Diamond. The Four Seasons has also topped the Conde Naste Best Hotels in the US listing. It is truly outstanding. Service is first rate and the rooms are beautiful. It is in the 900 North Michigan Avenue building with great views of downtown and the lake. It is in the upper floors of this building. The lower floors contain a shopping center with Bloomindales. I have not stayed at the Hotel Allegro. It is run by the Kimpton group out of San Francisco. They completely re-do older hotels into modern and luxurious boutique hotels. Their many hotels here in San Francisco are some of the most popular in the City; particulary the Hotel Monaco. They have begun to expand to other cities with a Hotel Monaco in Seattle and the Allegro in Chicago. They are fun, whimsical and very nice. Most all are anchored with a restaurant run by a very well-known chef. I am not certain if this is the case in Chicago. Have fun in my hometown, Chicago.

vjt in San Francisco

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 01:53 PM
Phil

The Allegro is the remodeled Bismarck Hotel. It was stately but lacked amenity items like pools. As a matter of fact many of the fine hotels in Chicago are of a vintage nature including the Drake. The Allegro is in the heart of the loop (the downtown area of Chicago)but it is really in a business district and is more suitable to business travel. The Drake and Four Seasons are in a posh area of the Gold Coast (Chicago's North Loop). I think if I were making a choice I would opt for the Four Seasons unless I wanted to experience the vintage atmosphere of a truly fine but older hotel like the Drake. If you are in town and want an unusual dining experience see if the 95th is still open at the John Hancock center. It was a bit pricey but a nice place on the 95th floor of the John Hancock center. Also Chicago in Decmber can be a bear, the temperature will hover near freezing most of the time then so plan on a lot of indoor activity at the museums and shopping. Hope you enjoy your trip. G'day.

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 01:57 PM
Phil

PS the trendy little hotels that were mentioned are also of an older vintage and can be nice too but you have really zeroed in on some of the best. I saw the Ritz-Carlton. The Palmer House is another of the finest but as I said old hotels as well.

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 02:01 PM
kam

I have always thought the 95th in the Hancock Bldg had very mediocre food! Chicago is a great restaurant city. BUT, the bar at the top of the Hancock is wonderful--go and have a drink before you go elsewhere for dinner! I will stick with the Drake as my recommendation as part of "old Chicago" and if the Allegro is the old Bismark, the location is not good for a holiday.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 12:58 PM
hm

Stayed at the Drake about 10 yrs ago and, this year, at the Four Seasons--The Four Seasons is posher, very quiet. The public areas in the Drake are beautiful but the hotel was somewhat rundown when I stayed there. Where ever you stay, if you are female, check out the ladies room off the bar in the Drake--it's my favorite!! The Raphael is nice if you want something a little more personal and less expensive, but expect less-than-perfect operations (broken elevator, for example).

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 10:52 AM
LJ

My vote is for the Four Seasons, although the Drake is very nice as well.

Allegro is not the best location for tourists. I have not been in there since the remodeling, but the hotel has gotten good reviews.

Old Aug 15th, 1998, 07:07 PM
raeona

If you must go top-drawer, then so be it. But there are other, very nice hotels in the same area as the Ritz and Four Seasons....and for the money difference between them, you could practically pay for the rest of your trip in Chicago! If you're thinking "The Top" because of unfamiliarity with Chicago and the States...do think again.

(I also concur that the Allegro/Loop location is not what you want...it's ok for business visitors).

Also, as a lifelong Chicagoan up to two years ago, I'd say -- pack some sweaters (jumpers?) and warm stuff...but don't be too spooked....the Zero, super-cold stuff usually doesn't arrive till close to Christmas or after. Have a great time -- It's a neat city.

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 12:23 PM
Diana

As a life-long Chicagoan all I can say is: Don't stay at the Allegro. I was setting up a family reunion and thought the Allegro would be a cool place for everyone to stay, well, just because the price is reasonable doesn't mean it's a great hotel. First of all, it's in a crummy business area that is all but deserted after 6:00 p.m. which means that you'll have to take a cab everywhere you go. Second, there are no amenities (i.e. pool, gym, etc.), although I was assured that these would be available soon and third, the restaurant attached to the hotel, 312 Chicago, has gotten awful reviews. I could go on, but I won't. The only neat-o thing about the hotel was the decor - it reminded me a lot of the Paramount in New York. If you have the money, stay at the Michigan Ave. hotels mentioned on this site: The Four Seasons, The Ritz-Carlton, The Drake, etc. Enjoy your stay here!

Old Oct 3rd, 1998, 03:13 PM
anne

Hope you have a marvelous visit to Chicago! Couple of thoughts: First, I'd agree with other comments - the location of the Allegro alone is a bad choice -- it really dies after 6 pm in that area. The hotels on Michigan Avenue (Drake, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton) are in better areas & are more lively day and night. Any of these are 1)lovely and 2)really expensive. Personal preference? The Four Seasons.

Old Oct 5th, 1998, 03:39 AM
John

A work of caution, The week of Nov28-Dec 4 is the BIG meeting week of the Radiological Society of North America which uses most all of Chicagos hotel rooms. Better enquire now for hotel availability.