Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago's O'hare Airport question-Travel between Terminals? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicagos-ohare-airport-question-travel-between-terminals-495503/)

pimpyd Jan 14th, 2005 05:07 PM

Chicago's O'hare Airport question-Travel between Terminals?

Hello all!! In september I will be flying to Bangkok from Green Bay, WI via O'hare Airport. I'm arriving at Terminal 2 and my flight to Bangkok leaves from Terminal 5. I understand that there is some kind of Rail system in the Airport that takes you from Terminal to terminal. How does one find it. I went to the O'hare Website, but really didn't find any directions on how to find the train. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Also, I will have about 2hrs layover time in Chicago. Is that enough time to get to terminal 5 and take a international flight?

Thanks,

Doug

indytravel Jan 14th, 2005 05:19 PM

2 hours should be plenty of time. Even though you leave security to get to the tram and have to re-enter security in Terminal 5.

In December I made it the other way, through passport control, customs, caught the tram and through security in Terminal 2 in 45 minutes. Not bad really.

You follow the signs to get to the tram. You'll be on the lower level for arrivals. You'll go up a level to departures. The walk-way to the tram is just about in the middle of the arrivals area of terminal 2.

You go up and over (escalators & elevators) then back down to the tram. Get on the tram going to Terminal 5 and long term parking.

indytravel Jan 14th, 2005 05:22 PM

By the way. You'll only go down to the arrivals area if you have to claim a bag for some reason.

If your baggage is checked through you'll walk straight out to the arrivals area of Terminal 2 then up and over to the tram.

pimpyd Jan 14th, 2005 05:27 PM

Thanks for the reply!! I am flying United all the way and my Bags will be checked through.

So there are plenty of signs with directions to the Tram? And I will only have to re-enter security once at terminal 5?

HowardR Jan 14th, 2005 05:40 PM

YOu'll have no problem finding the way to go. Plenty of signs at the airport.

Clifton Jan 14th, 2005 06:08 PM

Yeah, it's very easy. Just head towards the front of the terminal. It's a two-car, elevated rail sort of deal, just goes one terminal to the next and runs every few minutes. Very self-explanatory to find and use.

ms_go Jan 14th, 2005 07:58 PM

If you are flying United all the way (and your flight to Bangkok is not a United codeshare on another airline), then your international flight will leave out of T1, not T5. United's international departures at ORD are all out of T1, including the flights to Asia. In that case, it is very easy to make the connection -- there is an airside walkway between T2 and T1 and it will take you at most about 20 minutes; no security check required.

If ORD is your gateway on the return, then your incoming international flight will come into T5 and you will need to transit to T1 or T2 using the train system.

GoTravel Jan 15th, 2005 08:59 AM

Why is it that everytime I connect through O'Hare my mode of transporation is 'run like hell'?

patg Jan 15th, 2005 09:06 AM

You need to get in shape to outrun the pickpockets and muggers.