Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago's Finest (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicagos-finest-1672455/)

DGCommittee Oct 2nd, 2019 02:49 PM

Chicago's Finest

I'll be back in Chicago next month!
Any tourist and local ideas from spas, seafood, steak, shows, museums, art & science appreciated! I was thinking of taking a fun class of some sort.
Please suggest a fancy hotel in a nice walkable area.. . plenty points to use up!!

Thank you!

CaliforniaLady Oct 2nd, 2019 06:56 PM

We just stayed at the Marriott last month. It's in a good location, and if you have concierge lounge access, they let you have the full buffet breakfast for free, including lox and made to order omelettes. My husband got us upgraded to a mini suite, but otherwise, the rooms are fairly small. Oh, the gym is new and amazing. The one drawback is the lobby, which is way too noisy.

We went to all the major museums: The art museum, the aquarium, the planetarium, the Museum Science and Industry, and everyone's favorite, the Museum of Natural History. I liked the U boat exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry, where there were many artifacts from WWII.

Regarding dining, we went to a few different places, but Gibson's Steakhouse is by far the best. On my last trip, we went to Portello's for fun burgers and shakes, but you have to go to the original one to get the Chicago flavor. I don't remember which one is the original, but you can ask the concierge.

I just remembered staying at the Four Seasons on a previous trip. That was really nice too, and the indoor pool was inviting. It all depends on your points, I imagine.

DGCommittee Oct 3rd, 2019 08:46 AM

Thanks so much this is very very good information especially the museums. I was looking at that Four Seasons too but wondering also about the Astoria. Any thoughts on location? I have Amex, Hotels.com and lots of Alaska points! Heard of RPM steak?

kja Oct 3rd, 2019 04:39 PM

Location: IMO, the best location would be on or near the Magnificent Mile.
https://www.themagnificentmile.com/about/

HappyTrvlr Oct 10th, 2019 06:44 AM

Gibson’s has long been the best steak house in Chicago. Local, not a chain.

HappyTrvlr Oct 13th, 2019 12:59 PM

We lived in downtown Chicago and I recommend staying in Streeterville, between Michigan Ave and the lake, north of river, , or River North, north of the Chicago River and west of Michigan Avenue. Or along the Chicago River.

SeaF Oct 15th, 2019 11:15 AM

CAF boat tour is nice!

charsuzan Oct 15th, 2019 12:24 PM

Gibson's is a great steakhouse. Ive always enjoyed drinks at the top of what was the John Hancock building-incredible view. I usually stay on Michigan Ave. Attended a great cooking class last year at Sur la Table.

DGCommittee Oct 24th, 2019 08:46 PM

Gibson's it is.
Ive done the boat tour and loved it but maybe there are several different kinds?
Appreciate the great suggestions thank you!

kja Oct 24th, 2019 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by DGCommittee (Post 17005824)
Ive done the boat tour and loved it but maybe there are several different kinds?

There are! The CAF tour mentioned above is along the river and run by the Chicago Architecture Foundation (CAF), and it's superb! The main ones are during the day, but I believe they also run some during the evening. Other companies run tours along a similar route, and there are boat tours that concentrate on the lake, too. You can, of course, google these things.

sf7307 Oct 25th, 2019 08:48 AM

Six of us are just finishing up a 5-day Chicago trip. We had two (out of three) outstanding meals -Ema In River North and Daisies in Logan Square. At those two we liked (maybe loved) every one of the many dishes we shared. We were not happy with our meal at Frontera Grill. The food was good (not great - we liked some dishes and not others), the service was too rushed even though we specifically asked them to “space” the delivery, and not at all gracious, and it was ear-splitting loud. We also really enjoyed Hot Woks across the street from the Art Institute.

DGCommittee Oct 31st, 2019 10:05 AM

Thank you love that kind of info!

Michael Oct 31st, 2019 11:49 AM

If interested in architecture, a walking tour of Frank Lloyd Wright houses in Oak Park might be in order.

https://flic.kr/p/7vqozy

5alive Nov 3rd, 2019 08:17 PM

A few things that don't always make a first-timer's visit to Chicago.

A stop for a burger at the original Billy Goat Tavern. Back when Chicago had many thriving newspapers, it's where the reporters all gathered. And it was of course famously parodied in Saturday Night Live sketches. One word though, it's downstairs, below street level.

https://www.billygoattavern.com/

I love the Bahai Temple up in Evanston/Wilmette. Its white dome is beautiful by day but is also lit up at night. Open both day and the evening. Beautiful and peaceful.

It would be nice if you could check out a neighborhood or two that is beyond the Magnificent Mile. Lincoln Park. I'd say Hyde Park but you need to know what you're doing getting there and back. Andersonville.

THE NEIGHBORHOOD | andersonville

You can also find websites that show you some of the sites that were in the Blues Brothers movie. If nothing else, you gotta see the giant Picasso horse at Daley Plaza.

Also related to comedy... you could see a show at Second City. This is the improv group that led to Saturday Night Live, somewhat indirectly but part of the roots of that show.

Dukey1 Nov 5th, 2019 03:11 AM

The Langham Hotel and Gibson's: unbeatable IMO

DGCommittee Nov 8th, 2019 01:29 PM

OoooO more titillating suggestions! Thanks so much all.

I'm a Frank Lloyd Wright fan and toured his home and studio in Oak Park (and Taliesin in Scottsdale) but not the one that's pictured! It might indeed be in order.

Michael Nov 8th, 2019 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by DGCommittee (Post 17013462)
OoooO more titillating suggestions! Thanks so much all.

I'm a Frank Lloyd Wright fan and toured his home and studio in Oak Park (and Taliesin in Scottsdale) but not the one that's pictured! It might indeed be in order.

Check to see if any of his other private homes are open to the public. I don't think that they are, and can be seen only from the street.

Vttraveler Nov 9th, 2019 05:26 AM

The Robie House is open to the public
Frederick C. Robie House | Frank Lloyd Wright Trust

DGCommittee Nov 10th, 2019 09:12 AM

Thank you!! The Robie House and a trip to the Bahai Temple are really giving me the sensations. The temple is one of the 7 Wonders of Illinois :love: