Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago with teens (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-with-teens-846780/)

moezbud Jun 26th, 2010 07:15 AM

Chicago with teens

We're going to Chicago for a weekend with our 17 yr. old son and 15 yr. old daughter. Any ideas? We're not really interested in a baseball game or horse track. Wondering what Navy Pier has to offer for teens. Is the Blue Man show good for teens? Any cool restaurants downtown? We've been to the Museum of Science & Industry and Shed Aquarium before. Thanks for any advice.

CAPH52 Jun 26th, 2010 07:49 AM

What do your kids like to do? On my son's 19th birthday he wanted to take the CAF architecture boat tour. He loved it and took lots of great pictures. Another kid his age might have been bored stiff.

Blue Man is fine for teens. But, again, it depends on what yours like.

Same with restaurants. Give us a better idea of what your kids are interested in and what they like to eat and it'll be easier to give you some ideas for things to do.

Meanwhile, you might want to look into what's going on at Millennium Park while you're here.

A friend of my daughter's (24, so no longer a teen, but still young!) visited recently and got a huge kick out of taking the water taxi.

bachslunch Jun 26th, 2010 07:59 AM

Some folks here think the Navy Pier is a tourist trap, but I'm not in agreement. The Stained Glass Museum alone very much merits a visit, though it may or may not have teenager appeal. Otherwise, Navy Pier has lots of mall style shops and eateries, great views of the skyline, and embarkation points for lake cruises, plus fireworks later in the evening.

Other than the Shedd Aquarium and Museum of Science and Industry, for teens, consider the Field Museum of Natural History, Lincoln Park Zoo (haven't been, myself), a ride up the Sears Tower or to the top of the Hancock Observatory for great views (most posters here prefer the latter), a stroll through Millennium Park, or Six Flags Great America (north of the city, again, haven't been, myself). Only if they're serious astronomy geeks, consider the Adler Planetarium, otherwise not so much.

bachslunch Jun 26th, 2010 08:03 AM

Two things kids may like that are Chicago-specific are deep dish pizza (Gino's East, Lou Malnatti's, Giordano's, Pizzeria Uno, Pizzeria Due are good choices) or Italian beef sandwiches (Mr. Beef or Al's #1 Beef are good options). And Portillo's is a good central place to try a Chicago style hot dog.

longhorn55 Jun 26th, 2010 08:09 AM

My teens thought one of the highlights of our trip to Chicago was going to a show at Second City.

exiledprincess Jun 26th, 2010 08:15 AM

Sure, I have *lots* of ideas and suggestions but they depend on:

When are you going?

Gina817 Jun 26th, 2010 08:16 AM

What time of year? How long will you be in town?

simpsonc510 Jun 26th, 2010 09:07 AM

Just did the CAF boat tour a couple of days ago, and noted a new (to me) ride at Navy Pier. They have a hot air balloon sort of thing, that is tethered so it isn't going anywhere, but it lets you go up pretty high for a view of the city skyline. I have no idea of the cost. I thought it looked neat, but maybe not to everyone. I've done hot air ballooning before and enjoyed it (Australian outback) but this is not a balloon that takes off and 'goes somewhere' as it is tethered. Does look rather neat though IMO. The giant ferris wheel is also a nice ride for a view.

HappyTrvlr Jun 26th, 2010 10:19 AM

Kids love The Blueman Group, and I think you will too. Our kids loved The Bean in Millenium Park, really named Cloud Gate, a sculpture that reflects images of everyone nearby.
Walk thre lakefront, walk the riverway...all fun. Watch a volleyball game at NOrth Beach..Navy Pier is fun for teens too.