Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago - Which show? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-which-show-387102/)

jewels_02 Jul 1st, 2008 05:07 AM

Chicago - Which show?

Jersey Boys, The Second City, Wicked, Blue Man Group etc.; Which is your favorite and why?

Also what is the average ticket price for it?

We plan to catch a show on Thursday, Aug. 28th, the night before we leave. We love comedy, so a show at Second City seems like the sure bet. Chicago has a lot more theatre options than here in Louisville so I would hate to pass up the once in a lifetime opportunity of a great experience. I would like it to be magical and memorable.

longhorn55 Jul 1st, 2008 06:15 AM

All of those are good shows, but Second City is iconic of Chicago. We thoroughly enjoyed the show we saw there. The tickets for Thursday night are $20 (plus service fees, of course.) If you go, get there early because seating is on a first come, first served basis.

jewels_02 Jul 1st, 2008 06:50 AM

I think we just might have to go with the sure bet on this one then! :) And the tickets seem the most reasonable.

bethke14 Jul 1st, 2008 08:34 AM

Wicked and Jersey Boys are a tie for me, hands down. I've seen them both multiple times, and love both shows. Jersey Boys has great music and a terrific lead (I think the Chicago lead is better than the current Broadway lead.)

Wicked has a clever story, a good message, and great costumes and overall a lot of pizazz.

I've seen Second City many times as well, and it's great and very funny. I'd look at Second City Etc. as well to see what's playing. It is a Chicago institution. If you end up going, I'd recommend Adobo Grill next door for dinner/drinks before hand - though you'll probably need reservations.

I liked Blue Man, but it's not my favorite.

A lot of it comes down to who is going, what age, and interests.

Whatever your do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, as they're all great.

JameJamerz Jul 1st, 2008 08:44 AM

My vote goes to Wicked and Blue Man Group!

JJ5 Jul 1st, 2008 10:25 AM

I've been to all of them, and Wicked wins for me. Jersey Boys would be second.

The tickets are in the range from $40 to $90 or so, the last I looked.

Second City is much cheaper.

I did not care all that much for Blue Man Group at all. But then, I don't like slapstick either.

The first two are in another category of drama/music than the other two- IMHO. With the latter being more similar to comedy club routines of generality- but with a more specific "form".

Musicals are in a class by themselves. These two are worth every penny. Voices in Jersey in Chicago are FABULOUS.

jewels_02 Jul 1st, 2008 10:29 AM

I'm 24 and my step-mom is 45 or 46 I think. We like to laugh, so Second City is my first choice based on likes.

I haven't, however, been to a theatre performance before, and I don't believe she has...so it's all about the best/affordable Chicago experience on our first trip to your city.

JJ5 Jul 1st, 2008 12:03 PM

Yes, you will like it and have a good time. But it is jut not comparable to a play on the scale of Wicked- so it really isn't the same thing at all.

A show can be an American Idol viewing or it also can be Elvis live in his prime- hardly comparable entities. I don't consider a play the same thing as a comedy club routine or a nightclub act at all. What goes in to them are totally different. And you would laugh hard at points in both of them too.

Have a good time when you come.

Today is the first day that we are the highest taxed in the Nation. Chicago and Cook County is now 10.25% sales tax on nearly everything you buy alone.

LindainOhio Jul 1st, 2008 12:55 PM

Has anyone seen Jekyll and Hyde that is showing in Chicago? I love the music from that show but have never seen it. I saw some tickets available for $18.50

isabellasu Jul 1st, 2008 01:18 PM

I've seen Wicked and Jersey Boys, Jersey Boys wins hands down over Wicked for me.