Theatre Tickets San Francisco

Old Oct 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theatre Tickets San Francisco

Wondering if I should order Wicked tickets online or wait until we arrive in SF and get them there. We will be there from Nov 11 - 16th, so there are lots of performances we could go to. Also, where is the best place to purchase them from? (either online or in SF)
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM

I would buy them now. They are sold by TicketMaster: http://www.ticketmaster.com/Wicked-S...artist/1243801

HTTY
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM

If you want to wait until you're here to get tickets, swing by the Orpheum Box Office in person. You will save the service charge and have a better choice of seat selection.

http://www.shnsf.com/tickets/boxoffice
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM

So Wicked is not selling as well in SF as it does most other places? Just curious, but in most cities you couldn't get Wicked tickets last minute, yet alone have a "better choice of seat selection" than ordering a month earlier.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Patrick, I don't think that's what the poster meant. I think bluestar was just making a general comment about saving the service charge. From my understanding, Wicked is doing as well in San Francisco as elsewhere; but it has been playing for quite a while, so it's possible that it's not selling out. Don't be thrown by the wording "better choice of seat selection."
If you don't want to spend money for the handling charge, I suggest you go on line to get a general idea of what tickets are available. If the choice is limited, I'd get them now. If it seems that there are plenty of seats available, I'd wwait, especially, if you can go on an early midweek day, when demand for tickets isn't as great.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM

OK. I was just surprised at the idea that by waiting till you're there any seats would be available -- yet alone "a better selection than now", which I really don't get. Of course I understand about saving the service charge.

I know that in Chicago, where it played "forever" tickets remained pretty scarce right up until the end -- so that would have been bad advice there. On the other hand Wicked played one month in Ft. Myers, Florida this past winter (in the height of our tourist season) and scalpers lost their shirts, as there were plenty of tickets available (good! Love to see the scalpers lose money).
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Hey. I just saw on Theatremania that they have a "click to save" up to $30 on Wicked tickets in SF. That's worth checking out.

This link might not work if you haven't registered with them (which is easy and free):

http://www.theatermania.com/san-fran...wicked_147809/
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM

I didn't say "wait" until you get here, I said "if," Howard is right, it was just a suggestion as a way to save the handling fee. I have no idea whether or not most shows are sold out but I kind of doubt it (holiday periods excepted). To be safe, of course buy tickets online now - via shnsf.com (ticketmaster). By better seat selection I meant that at the box office one can request any seat that ticketmaster hasn't yet doled out. Instead of being offered computer generated seats and given 5 minutes to decide/buy, you can ask the box office person, as example, for an aisle seat in the mezz. Or they will show you their house seating chart, point out what's available and let you choose.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Very true, bluestar. I despise the Ticketmaster online method that offers you one set of seats and if you choose to decline them, they'll only offer you the same ones again, over and over. I refuse to use them online. Telecharge is so much more user friendly (but of course you are limited to which agency each theatre uses). But if I'm not mistaken, if you CALL Ticketmaster instead of using their lame online booking, they will give you much greater selection.

But back to answer my own original question in my first post here. Yes, clearly SF's Wicked is NOT selling out the way it has in so many other places.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I took happytrails advice and ordered them. I'm not a gambler!! Now I just need some recommendations for a jazz place in SF. We are staying close to Union Square, not sure what is happening around there in the way of jazz. Suggestions anyone?
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:29 PM

I'm not a big jazz fan, but Yoshi's is a major jazz venue - and an excellent restaurant also. It's on Fillmore, so you'll need a cab.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Just curious. Did you use the Theatremania discount code (or another one) for Ticketmaster and save $60 on the pair of tickets?
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM

Ditto re Yoshi's (both the club and the restaurant)!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:44 PM
SAB

Patrick, one of the reasons Wicked may not be selling now the way it does elsewhere is that it has been playing here since February. Also it previewed here with the original cast before it went to Broadway and many locals may have seen it then, I did.