Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago weekend Sept01 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-weekend-sept01-178025/)

jerry Aug 20th, 2001 07:30 AM

Chicago weekend Sept01

I will be at a conference all day. <BR>I will have some time in the evening. <BR>Any suggestions for dinner? <BR>I would like to find something close to the Congress Hotel. (Downtown) <BR>Also any comments on that hotel? <BR>I can try to book another.

[email protected] Aug 20th, 2001 09:12 AM

Congress isn't terrible, but a bit worn out. Personally I'd rather be up by Water Tower Place. More shopping and restaurants. Congress is a bit more isolated on S. Michigan Ave - but not bad. As for restaurant eccomendations, what kind of food do you like? I like Gibsons steakhouse, and Rosebud on Rush for Italian.

holly Aug 20th, 2001 09:33 AM

If you're looking for a hotel in the Loop because of you're conference, I'd suggest the Hilton Palmer House. Dinner options on the south side of the River are more limited than the River North area, but Trattoria No. 10 is my favorite in that area for Italian. Otherwise, I'd eat on the other side of the River. What sort of food do you like?

thereuare Aug 20th, 2001 10:21 AM

I stayed at the Congress in May and it was "ok." The nicest thing about the hotel is the lobby, and the rooms are big (for a large city hotel). However, although large, the rooms are showing their age and smell a little "mustly." In the future, i would also prefer to stay on North Michigan Ave instead of South Michigan Ave. <BR> <BR>For a nice dinner, i would try one of Rick Bayless' Mexican restaurants (Frontera Grill OR Topoblano (the spelling is wrong on the second restaurant, but they're connected to each other). It's not typical mexican (there are NO burritos or fajitas or tacos on the menu!!) and Rick is considered one of the hottest chefs in the country right now. <BR> <BR>For more casual fare, i would recommned Pizzeria Uno or Pizzeria Due, as they are NOTHING like the Uno's in your local mall. I won't go to the Uno's around in my town, but i make sure i go to the one in Chicago when i'm there!

lauren Aug 20th, 2001 03:33 PM

I would definitely recommend Mike Ditka's restaurant.

kal Aug 20th, 2001 04:23 PM

Just got back from Chicago last week... <BR>Gino's East Pizza! <BR>Sullivan's. <BR>Riva's <BR>BeBop <BR>(I think it's spelled Topolabambos) <BR>Heaven on 7. <BR>Any hot dog stand at Wrigley. <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Palmer House Hilton. Booked it thru Priceline.com for $100/night. Only ran into the "historical slow elevator" problem once. <BR> <BR>Cabs were pretty cheap so downtown isn't that far away from Mag/Mile No'River/Navy Pier. <BR> <BR>Mahalo, <BR>Kal <BR> <BR>

patg Aug 20th, 2001 04:48 PM

You'll be almost across the street from the Jazz Festival that weekend. If time is short, they sell ribs and such from the food booths on Jackson. <BR> <BR>Topolobampo/Frontera Grill and Trattoria No. 10 are excellent recommendations. Prairie is an overlooked gem with wonderful food. Buddy Guy's Blues Bar has good food and music. <BR> <BR>Go to metromix.com, chicagomag.com or searchchicago.com for other recommendations.

holly Aug 20th, 2001 04:51 PM

Pat - <BR> <BR>Good call on Prairie. A lot of locals don't even know it - a well kept secret. The Jazz fest is always a good bet too

rhonda Aug 20th, 2001 06:08 PM

For pasta or Italian ... Magianno's is awesome (forgive my spelling). It's downtown a few blocks from Michigan Mile