Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago weather in Oct! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-weather-in-oct-735290/)

bamababe Sep 9th, 2007 03:15 PM

Chicago weather in Oct!

We will be in Chicago Oct 25-28 on business. What is the weather like then? I live on the Gulf Coast and still wear shorts in Oct and realized I don't own a coat!! Will I need one? More than likely I won't be out in the elements except to go to and from hotel-car-restaurant,etc. but still want to dress appropriately.

patg Sep 9th, 2007 03:23 PM

It COULD be shorts weather, but the better bet is for highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s-40s, what you folks would call "winter."

People do a lot of walking here despite the temperatures. You can get by with a warm sweater, a lighter sweater, and a raincoat and umbrella. Gloves and a hat might come in handy, if it's really cold. Don't bring open-toed shoes; it will be too chilly, especially at night.

bamababe Sep 9th, 2007 04:15 PM

Patg, You're right. Our winter is anything below 70! I know this sounds silly so don't laugh, but even with all the rain we have here I don't own a raincoat. Do you mean a raincoat that is long and has a zip out lining? See, I told you not to laugh! I only have light weight jackets---oh, wait I do have a leather jacket, short but leather AND a knee length suede COAT!!! Yeah, QVC is good for something.

My next question is : What do men wear? I think my husband has a wool coat left over from his 6 month stint in Ohio. Is this what he would need or will a short leather jacket do?

These are crazy questions but I hate to be cold so I am trying to prepare. The little cold weather we have here I am bundled up like the Michelen Man. Not always a pretty sight.

luvtravl Sep 9th, 2007 04:23 PM

Unless it is unusually cold a heavy wool coat might be a little too warm for October. You never know about the weather though so best bet is to have both jackets ready to go and check the forecast a couple days before you leave and decide which one to take. Have fun!

hills27 Sep 9th, 2007 06:17 PM

And then check the forecast the DAY you leave because it changes every hour! I've never lived anywhere where the forecast was so unreliable.

sarge56 Sep 9th, 2007 07:45 PM

luvtravl and hills27 are both right. Check the weather before you come.

While I can recall at least twice where my kids were trick-or-treating in the snow, most of the time it is beautiful, but cool.

I think if you bring a light sweater and a heavy sweater, you can wear with your leather jacket and you'll be fine. Especially if you are not planning on doing any walking. Though, I have to tell you, Chicago is very much a "walking" city. The Magnificent Mile is called that because it ain't much longer! You can walk anywhere in this "compact" area. I hope you will do just that. Chicago is a beautiful city with lots to see and do.

And fall is my fave!

sarge56 Sep 9th, 2007 07:52 PM

oops. I should have said that you can bring the light and heavy sweater, and <i>based on the daily temp</i> you can decide which to wear with your leather jacket, in order to be comfortable. :)

hawaiiantraveler Sep 9th, 2007 07:57 PM

OK, I am in Chicago right now and it is shorts weather but at the end of October it will be cold.....very cold compared to what you are used to,

No shorts at all.It will be cold and windy. Be prepared for the cold and the wind. I have been in Chicago in late October for the past 12 years straight and have never....I mean NEVER experienced anything other than very cold, rainy and windy.

If someone suggests that it might be warm, forget about it. If they insist it will be warm at that time of year or &quot;could be warm&quot; laugh and do NOT believe it.

Definitely buy a coat. Hope this helps!

Aloha!

patg Sep 9th, 2007 08:14 PM

Hawaiian, every year we get something called Indian summer. It could come in October, November or early December. The temperatures go up 15-20 degrees and stay there for four or five days. That's why, if you look at the record temperatures for late October, you will see records close to 80 degrees. So, it COULD be shorts weather, but you shouldn't bet on it.

The normal temperatures are as I stated. I looked them up.

hawaiiantraveler Sep 9th, 2007 08:30 PM

patg,

So you would advise bamababe to wear shorts? I don't mean to be rude but.....get real....Oct 25 to 28!!!!

Bamababe, you and I live in the tropics and I am telling you be prepared. As I have said, I have been in Chicago the past 12 years in late Oct and cannot remember it EVER being an Indian summer at that late date. If there was one I don't remember it. It might happen but I bet patg wouldn't bet on it. Count on it being cold and windy. I cannot believe a native Chicagoan wouldn't warn you about it. Much better to be prepared than sorry.

Aloha!

hills27 Sep 9th, 2007 08:44 PM

Relax, breathe, and then reread Patg's comments. She didn't advise the OP to pack shorts. She advised the OP to check the weather because while it usually is cold, it can sometimes surprise you.

I live here, and we've had 60 degree days in December. So, visitors have to check the weather report. In all likelihood, it will be cold by Bamababe's standards. But it sucks to pack cold weather stuff and then be sweating your butt off because you didn't check the weather (or vice versa in the summer).

hawaiiantraveler Sep 9th, 2007 08:52 PM

I am relaxed hills27.....Indian summer in Dec, lol......would you bet on it? Keep the shorts at home, you won't need them

MelissaHI Sep 9th, 2007 09:58 PM

HT, 12 years?! I am sooo jealous. I love Chicago!! I've also been there in Octobers (except for the one year I was there the first week of December!) and although I would classify the weather as &quot;nice,&quot; I always wear a leather jacket, especially at night. I'm from Honolulu, too.

Actually, it's been nice enough for me to go jogging. But I had to dash out of the hotel immediately to start warming up.

LLindaC Sep 10th, 2007 05:51 AM

We take an annual Chicgo trip usually the first weekend in Nov. For the last couple of years, it's been windy (duh) and chilly. One way to dress for the elements that is very smart is to wear a pretty thermal type vest over a long sleeve top. That keeps you warm without the bulk of sweaters. You can also remove them indoors. Lots of people wearing them last year with pretty scarves.

bamababe Sep 10th, 2007 05:57 AM

Thanks to all of you for for your suggestions. I don't plan on bringing shorts since it is a business trip ( not to mention probably too chilly) but I will plan on layering. I will also bring some sort of outerwear.

We will be staying @ McCormick something . What would you suggest we do with a half day &quot;free&quot; time?
Any fav restaurants?

cmsitaly Sep 10th, 2007 06:02 AM

www.weatherunderground.com

Is a good site to check the weather. They also have an almanac so you can see what the weather was like last year, the year before, etc.
Dress for it and you will be fine. Have fun!

CAPH52 Sep 10th, 2007 06:14 AM

Hawaiiantraveler, I live in the Chicago area and work as a grade school lunch/recess supervisor. There have been several years when I've still been wearing shorts to work outside recess at the end of October. And I don't wear shorts when it dips below 70.

Yes, it could be much colder than that this year. But it might not. That's why everyone has suggested checking the weather just before bamababe leaves home.

CAPH52 Sep 10th, 2007 06:31 AM

Realized I probably should have said, &quot;There have been years...&quot; rather than &quot;several years&quot;. My point is, though, that it can, indeed, still be warm here in late October.

sarge56 Sep 10th, 2007 07:39 AM

bamababe...it is difficult to know what you like to do. If you like to shop, hit Water Tower place or Navy Pier. IF you like art, the Art Institute (look for the green bronze lions out front). If you like history, The Field Museum [one of the best natural history museums in the world]. Noble Planetarium/Shedd Aquarium. Architecture your gig? Take a boat ride on the Chicago River where the guide points out and discusses the architecture of Chicago buildings along the way. Want to see the city at it's most glorious...take an evening boat ride out onto Lake Michigan (from Navy Pier). Incredible!

Start in Millenium Park, walk up the Magnificent Mile. It's a tough call if you've only got a half day. My bet is you'll love this city so much, you'll be back! :)

Here's a good link to start:

http://www.choosechicago.com/

cmsitaly Sep 10th, 2007 07:42 AM

I agree with the above poster, Chicago is a place you will want to return to.

Here is another link

www.metromix.com

See what is going on when you are there