Chicago trip report

Feb 13th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Maggi

Chicago trip report

After our weekend in Chicago, I'd like to pass on my impressions as a way of thanking everyone for their advice. We had booked a room at the Talbott Hotel through Hotrooms for $119 a night. It is listed as a small "luxury" hotel. Although the lobby, bar and sitting rooms are cozy, our room was definitely not "luxury". There was a rip in the carpeting and the kitchenette was gutted. The walls must have been paper thin because we could hear in detail the party going on next door. We requested a move and the accomodating staff apologetically gave us a much bigger and nicer room on the same floor. I must say the service at the hotel was impeccable. We asked the concierge about "Heaven on Seven", a mardi gras style restaurant. He called and made reservations for us. When we got there, we were shocked when the waiter brought us a free appetiser, compliments of our concierge! (Has anyone had this happen before?) Our first impression of this restaurant while we were waiting for our table was not good and we almost went elsewhere. It was extremely crowded and the staff who were seating people seemed disorganized and haphazard. I'm glad we waited because, once inside, the food was definitely worth it and a fun atmosphere. We saw the new Mel Brook's musical "The Producers" with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. It was hysterical! It's very close to the movie, but with some great production numbers and witty lyrics (which Mel wrote as well.) One production number was all old ladies with walkers! The show-stopping number Nathan Lane performs in the second half is Tony-award winning. It brought people to their feet. Everyone was laughing and smiling with rave reviews on the way out of the beautiful Cadillac Palace Theater. The best find of the weekend? A great dinner experience at Le Colonial, around the corner from our hotel. The decor was tropical, with ceiling fans, dark wicker, palms and exotic lighting. The service and food were simply wonderful. Our dinner for two came to $75, with a drink each. I will definitely return here. We stopped in at the Art Institute and at the Russian Tea Time restaurant nearby. Any comments or questions are welcome. Thanks, Chicago, for another memorable weekend!

Search this Thread