Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago Trip in September (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-trip-in-september-461439/)

Shea Jul 21st, 2004 11:11 AM

Chicago Trip in September

My wife & I are visiting Chicago in Sept. Have reservations at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Dr for $105 a night. I note that others are getting rates much lower - how do you do that & still get reservations at a property you want? On Priceline, for example, you can't name a property. Also a big deal is getting to see an Oprah show. I have been on their website but the telephone line is presently closed saying that it will re-open for the fall taping that begins in September with no mention of when the phone lines will re-open. Does anyone have any good clues on how to get a couple of tickets? Additionally is the Wacker Drive area safe for walking at night along the river, lakeshore, River North, & Grant Park. Would like to see the Buckingham Fountain at night. Lastly, understand Sept weather in Chicago is generally very nice. Will Bermuda shorts during the day work? Forgive the long post but any info on the foregoing or on Chicago in gereral for a mid-September visit would be appreciated. Thank you.

JJ5 Jul 21st, 2004 01:20 PM

In September the weather is usually beautiful, but it can always change quickly. Burmudas are ok, if it's very hot. Most of the tourists dress for comfort, I observe. Loop has many workers than dress during business hours. I can remember a day when all
were very dressed for business, but although professional, not as dressy now.

That's a good price for Hyatt Regency. You don't have to worry about walking, and might even get the free trolley on one of your "legs" to some of the attractions. You may want to hit the new Millenium Park, as it's not that far from Buckingham Palace. It's on our news each night, as locals and tourists seem to love it. People who spent the 475 million $ for it are not all happy campers though. The "bean" is supposed to be HUGE, and hard to describe as most love the interaction.

I don't know a thing about Oprah tickets and can't help you there. Harpo Studios is probably not walkable from where you are. I'd take a cab or bus if you do get tickets.

I did Priceline last winter and stayed at Swissotel for $99 each night over the weekend. That's a little longer walk than Hyatt to Michigan Ave. and /or into the Loop - but it has great views as it is on a point into the water. You can look all the way down the lakefront from its exercise /gym/ pool area. It's only about a block or two away from Hyatt, I think, and it might be worth it to do the underground walk to Swissotel and take the elevator to get a glimpse. You might like to dine in one of the top floor restaurants in Hancock or other buildings for another view.

The big "must" for me is doing an arcitechtural tour. All of them are great, especially the one that takes you by boat down the river. They are not expensive and worth every penny. Do a search online for tickets ahead of time.

Shea Jul 22nd, 2004 07:22 AM

Thank you both for some good info on Chicago. To know that your lodging is in a good area is a load off a person's mind. We are going to take the Architecture River Cruise. Plan on walking to the museums south of Grant Park & returning via water taxi, visiting the Navy Pier, Lincoln Park area, Daly Plaza, etc. We will be in town for the Celtic Festival & will attend. I included the question about safe walking to River North as there appears to be some prime entertainment venues & excellent restaurants in that area. If we can get tickets to see the Oprah show that would be great. Too bad the Cubs will be on the road when we visit Chicago. Again thanks for your informative advice.

JJ5 Jul 22nd, 2004 08:12 AM

One more thing I just thought of that would be great if you could swing it.
It would be something that would be real Chicago and not "touristy" besides.

If you do get to Oprah's show, there is a place to eat within a block or two of Oprah's studio and staffers are often there. It is not visible from Harpo's entrance, I don't think- but very close. I last ate there about 3 years ago, so look up the address if you want to go and make sure it's still open. It's called The Flat Top Grill. Locals eat lunch there and it is absolutely fabulous. You choose your "fixins" and they stir fry all you can eat extra shrimp or whatever on top. Very different and very delicious- similar to a Mongolian grill specialty restaurant. Parking was not the greatest, but we found street parking about 2 blocks away. But if you are going to Oprah's anyway, it would be a treat and a extremely short walk. It's filled with Chicago yuppie's at lunch time and to me it had lots of "circuses".

hipvirgochick Jul 22nd, 2004 09:57 AM

Shea -- All good suggestions here so I will just add re: Oprah as I went last September. I called as soon as their phone lines were open for tix (line was busy for a long time, but be persistent, I've hear others say they never got through) they had several September dates you could choose from (2 tapings per day). If you can't get through, as Chigal said, check with your Concierge. Note that people get there very early in line for the best seats. Groups of 50 are assigned as you check in and then you sit in the holding room, enter and choose your seat according to what group you're in. I think the Flat Top Grill JJ5 mentioned is right across the street, we had taping delays (stood in line for 3 1/2 hours) and had to go use their bathroom. They were very friendly :) Have fun!

dln Jul 22nd, 2004 10:11 AM

Shea, the weather in Chicago can be wildly changeable from day to day, so be prepared for both warm and cool. My husband and I spent a long weekend in the city a few days ago, and on the Saturday, it was coolish. I had to go to Filene's Basement on the Miracle Mile and buy a pullover for my husband so he wouldn't freeze at dinnertime! (And I noticed a few other men tourists there doing the exact same thing.) On the Sunday, we roasted because it was sunny. Even got a bit sunburnt. So be prepared wardrobe-wise.

swalter518 Jul 22nd, 2004 10:57 AM

Shea,
DLN is right about our weather-today it's 90s and Sat. it's supposed to be in the 70s. That's one of the charms of our lovely city :). But I must say, DLN, it's the Magnificent Mile, not the Miracle Mile...

dln Jul 22nd, 2004 11:32 AM

Thanks, swalter! I am getting all my travel places mixed up lately. Yesterday I referred someone to a B&amp;B in New Orleans that wasn't far from the <i>Latin</i> Quarter! I blushed at that goof.

Shea, if you're planning on walking down towards Buckingham Fountain, stroll through the newly opened Millenium Park. It's beautifully done. The website www.877chicago.com will give you all sorts of information about what's going on events-wise.

SusanM Jul 22nd, 2004 06:02 PM

Shea,

I'll share my experiences trying to get Oprah tickets. I live in a Chicago suburb, so when I go is not an issue.

I called the hotline in March and was told via message that the April tickets were already gone - try again in April for May. In April I called several days in a row, hearing the same message, which meant that May tickets weren't yet available. I missed calling ONE DAY, and when I resumed calling the next day, I heard a message telling me that May tickets were all gone, have a nice summer, and try again in the fall!

I'm waiting to try for Sept. tickets (that will mean calling in August), but there is another way to gt tickets. The website said that occasionally tickets will be available on short notice and will be given out with an eMail request. When I read that, they actually had tickets available for that very week, with Chris Rock as the guest. I passed, as I guess others must have, too, for them to be available in the first place! Check the website often, though - you never know.

Shea Jul 23rd, 2004 09:11 AM

Lots of excellent info. Thanks!

Shea Aug 23rd, 2004 11:26 AM

Thanks chicgal. Good info. We will be there 17 - 23 Sept. Some of these events we will definitely check out. I have given up on Oprah - just about wore out my dialing finger. I don't think long distance works because of local calls that have redial. My wife is just going to have to watch her show on TV. In any case I know we are going to love Chicago &amp; can't wait to go. I will probably have my bags packed before the end of next week.