Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago Restaurants: Where to take two European colleagues?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Chicago next week for a convention and will be dining one evening with my Italian colleague and a German journalist (our guest). Would like to take them to a nice "American bistro" in central Chicago (near North, Loop, Gold Coast, etc.). Nothing too sporty (we're three women), nothing European (we can all get that at home), no steak places with gigantic portions, someplace that's open on a Monday evening and takes reservations. Budget not too much of a concern (it's an expense account meal) although we don't want one of the most expensive restaurants in town. Something *generally* similar to Bistro 110 (but must take reservations) would probably work well.
On restaurant that sounds like it might fit the bill is Hugo's Frog Bar, but we had a terrible experience there--had to stand more than 45 minutes at the bar (no place to sit) before we got a table, even though we had a reservation. So they're off the list.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:30 AM
GoTravel

I know it is a chain but we liked Roy's.

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:38 AM

Roy's might be just the thing - lots of seafood and sophisticated Hawaiian ambiance(yes! there is such a thing!) The food is not cheap, but everything we had was deliscious. Other essentially American places are:

Bin 36 (big wine selection, modern ambiance, friendly waitstaff, located in Marina Towers "Corncob" building at Dearborn and the river)

Prairie (innovative Midwestern cuisine, Prairie school decor, open long hours, located in the Hyatt at 500 South Dearborn.)

See metromix.com for details and reviews.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:03 AM

I would also suggest 160 Blue on West Randolph and Loomis. The food is great, it's a bit off the beaten path but an easy cab ride, and the Tasting Room, the wine bar across the street has magnificient city views.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:21 AM

What about Frontera Grill? http://www.fronterakitchens.com/restaurants/ or it's sister restaurant - Topolobampo? Food is Mexican... which is a part of the "Americas", right?

- Sharon
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I think Catch 35 will be the best bet if the German journalist likes seafood. Blackbird looks good too, and I don't think minimalist decor is a problem (not to people from Milan and Dusseldorf), but the lighting at Blackbirds seems VERY bright...do they dim it for dinner? Also, how are the acoustics? I don't want it to be so loud with sound bouncing around that we can't hear each other. (One of the things I like least about Bistro 110 is its wonky acoustics, unless you're in one of the booths.)
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add, North Pond sounded great, but no dinner Mondays.
Chicgal, FYI, I asked before, any opinion on the bar at Elm Street Liquors? Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:15 PM

Yes, Blackbird does dim the lights for dinner. I don't remember it being loud when we were there but that was a while back. Perhaps someone else has been their more recently?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:33 PM

another vote for Roys!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:44 PM

No one mentioned Keefers ? - this a great American bistro.

Also MK - abosultely fantastic place

I second Blackbird as well.

Topolobombo is fantastic if you want AUTHENTIC mexican food(not tacos and fajitas) - very unique menu

there is a new place that just opened called Chestnut Grill and Wine bar. I recently went and loved it - Huge wine list, and excellent food.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM

Check out www.opentable.com to do a search and/or make a reservation for restaurants that have availability next Monday. Many of the best restaurants in Chicago are out there.

I'll second Chicgal's rec for Atwood Cafe, one of the nicest decorated spots with it's comfy furniture and warm colors with relatively low noise level and good food. Save room for the desserts, the white chocolate banana bread pudding is awesome.

I'm also rather fond of Joe's Stone Crab, the best crab cakes in the city, and would do that over Catch 35 although it's been quite a few years since I've been to Catch 35. It shouldn't be overly busy on a Monday night but I didn't find the noise level to be too bad even on the weekends.

Friends of mine who really enjoy dining have also recommended Roy's and Blackbird.

One more spot to consider is Naha, an American/Mediterranean restaurant in River North (500 N. Clark). You can see the menu here http://www.naha-chicago.com/
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I looked at all the web sites suggested (plus metromix) and decided to make reservations at Bin 36--one of the Europeans isn't a big seafood fan, so that knocked out Catch 35, but we all like wine.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

A quick followup--we went to Bin 36 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very good food, good service. Only drawback is the noise--it should probably be called DIN 36 instead of Bin 36. Hard at times to hear your dining companions.
Thanks for the suggestions--hope to try out more of them next year (this year's trip was particularly short).