Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago restaurant before theater (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-restaurant-before-theater-290210/)

cd Feb 18th, 2003 01:26 PM

Chicago restaurant before theater

We are treating our children and grandchildren to 2 nights in Chicago with theater at 8:00pm on a Saturday at the Cadillac Palace. Where should I make dinner reservations? I would like someplace within walking distance to the theater. What would you recommend and what time would you recommend? I want to stay around 10-15pp and something children would enjoy. Thank you

cd Feb 18th, 2003 02:51 PM

Someone has GOT to have an answer?

patg Feb 18th, 2003 02:57 PM

Hmmm - 10-15 pp is not going to get you much in downtown Chicago. My husband thought Maxim's at Madison and Clark might fit the bill.

Kristy Feb 18th, 2003 02:59 PM

312 Chicago is a restaurant that is attached to the hotel next to theatre. I believe the cost is a little more than you want, but it is a very nice restaurant (not too fancy, though). It could be a really special night for the kids, since I'm sure they will be dressed up! <BR>Check out www.metromix.com for other ideas and to see a review of the restaurant.

patg Feb 18th, 2003 03:01 PM

Just checked it out, and Maxim's is closed on Saturdays. To stay within your budget, look at Berghoff (about 5 blocks south) or the restaurants in Greektown. You can go to <BR>metromix.com and plug in your parameters for more suggestions.

Kristi Feb 19th, 2003 06:09 AM

I looked on my way home last night at the area around the theater and there really isn't much within walking distance.<BR><BR>312 Chicago is right next door but the prices listed on Metromix were over your limit. And if you are going on a Saturday when there is theater it will be crowded with everyone trying to make the curtain at the same time.<BR><BR>Petterino's is on Randolph, a few blocks away, but over your $10-15 per person criteria as it's seafood and steaks.<BR><BR>Greektown is a good suggestions although you should take a cab over there.<BR><BR>Bob Chinn's Crabhouse downtown location is 4-5 blocks away just on the other side of the river, once again more than $10-15 per person.<BR><BR>A little further north, a short cab ride or a long walk if it's nice out, there are some casual places-Big Bowl (thai), Cafe Iberico (Spanish), Carson's (ribs, over $10-15), Wildfire (steaks, chicken, etc., more than $10-15), Maggiano's (Italian), Scoozi (Italian), Harry Caray's (Italian), House of Blues (southern).<BR><BR>And for very casual there are a couple of pizza places, Giordano's which is a couple of blocks away on Randolph or Lou Malnati's on Wells, maybe 4-5 blocks away.<BR>

cd Feb 19th, 2003 07:03 AM

What great information! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and time.

cd Feb 19th, 2003 12:14 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I made reservations at 312 Chicago. It seemed the best location for an 8:00 show and the restaurant reservationist was so cute....he THOUGHT they had room for us in July! He gave us a time at 6:00pm with a note that we had theater tickets at 8:00pm. Thanks again everyone. We and our children are coming from two states to be together for a couple of days!

tilburg Feb 19th, 2003 06:24 PM

Kristi gives you the best answers. <BR>There aren't any kid places nearby. <BR>Italian Village, top floor with lights, is an idea. It's about four block away. Peterino's is the closest and easiest.......but it's american, steak, salads, etc.

Kristi Mar 14th, 2003 05:33 AM

Topping