Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago Red Line -- elevator at State and Grand?

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next week I'll be taking the Metro in from O'Hare and staying at State and Erie (The Dana). Before in that area, I've always gotten off the Red Line at State and Chicago, but Grand is a little closer this time. Are there elevators there as well? Last time I was in Chicago there was a lot of construction at that intersection. Is that cleared up or does it make it hard to navigate? Thanks.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM

Unfortunately Patrick, the construction continues through at least the end of summer. Parts of both Grand Ave and State are closed, I believe the sidewalk and two traffic lanes on the west side of State are closed at present.

I'm not sure if the elevators in the station are operating yet.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 07:12 PM

The CTA site lists the following red line stations as accessible.

Howard, Loyola, Granville, Addison, Belmont, Fullerton, Chicago, Lake, Jackson, Roosevelt, Sox/35th, 47th, 69th, 79th, 95th/Dan Ryan.

http://www.transitchicago.com/riding...eservices.aspx
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm. Interesting. Earlier this evening when I hadn't seen a comment and needed other info from the hotel, I called the Dana and asked -- the girl assured me there were working elevators at Grand and State. Now I wonder if she knows.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:54 AM

Sorry, NeoPatrick. As of 7/22, there are neither elevators nor a working escalator at the Grand stop. I'd go with the Chicago stop -- definitely easier, and an easier walk as there's lots of construction around the Grand stop.
Hope you enjoy Chicago!
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:59 AM

Oh, and I should also say that I really don't think an elevator/escalator will be working anytime soon -- maybe by the fall/winter and that's a big maybe. The construction around there has been a mess for months. I don't even see a structure for an elevator so I wonder if one is even to be built.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Actually when I look I guess the Dana is almost exactly halfway between Chicago and Grand.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM

Yes -- seems like it's the halfway point.
Do you plan on seeing any theater while in Chicago? If yes, you should catch "A Parallelogram" at Steppenwolf. Really a fun play.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm. I had looked at that and it didn't sound very intriguing, but maybe I'll reconsider. I'm not finding anything in theatre I'm terribly excited about right now -- did think I might try to get a single for Shrek just because I missed it in NYC and there are seats available.

Maybe I'll do Parallelogram on Sunday. Friends are running the half marathon then. As I recall the stage is low there and there are a couple of front row seats on Sun. afternoon.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

ChgoGal, I'm such an easy mark -- I just bought a ticket for Sunday matinee. Heck, I like everything I see at Steppenwolf, so why not? Single in the fifth row center.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM

Hi NeoPatrick,

I hope you like the play - I've seen it twice myself. Tom Irwin, who plays the boyfriend, is particularly good. And the set design itself is a star.

Be sure to give yourself time to travel there -- traffic on the weekends is horrible. And if you're taking the red line subway (stop = North/Clybourn) to the theater, give yourself extra time then, too, as the trains may be crowded with Cubs fans. (I think the Cubs are home this weekend.) You may as well get there a bit early -- there's lots of restaurants in the neighborhood, and there's a Borders bookstore/cafe 1/2 block away if you need to sit down and relax for a bit.

From the first minute of the play, the dialogue is important -- the whole first act is lots of exposition (not a bad thing in this case) and I'd hate for you to miss that. The play runs about 2 hrs, 15 minutes with the intermission, and there's a great discussion after EVERY performance.

Have a great time in Chicago!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Unless there was a change, the Cubs are NOT home this weekend. Originally when I set this trip, I was hopefully joining friends at Wrigley Field -- something I've never done -- but they informed me the Cubs were to be out of town.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:47 AM

Patrick, you won't be disappointed by Shrek. I saw it last weekend and really enjoyed it. I understand there have been changes since Broadway, but it's still a fun show. I was absolutely mesmerized by the dragon and would go back again just to see that.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM

Hi NeoPatrick. There is a Cubs home game this weekend, but on Sunday, it's at 7:05 p.m. so shouldn't effect your subway service.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:15 PM

Neo, I'm sorry to not be able to help with the elevators but I'd love to hear about your trip, particularly if you enjoyed any plays, as my daughter and I will be visiting Chicago for a few days next month.

I hope you have a great time.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 12:55 AM

NP, any interest in seeing "Aida" (Bailiwick) when you are here?
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

ChgoGal, somehow we got on a different wave length. My trip to Chicago is NEXT weekend. I was having trouble finding why the Cubs are in town on Aug.1, when their schedule shows them at Colorado. In any case, I'm still in Naples THIS weekend, I'll be in Chicago NEXT weekedn -- no Cubs or Cub traffic.

exiledprincess, I saw the original Aida (well the Broadway one, that is) on Broadway and thought it was only OK. No interested in seeing it again, really.

This trip was booked ages ago as a stopover on my way to Asia. I fly out for 2 and a half months on Monday (Aug. 2) nonstop to Shanghai. Since booking it, my usual friends in Chicago have other plans -- the half marathon, one to a wedding in Indiana, another traveling in Europe. I'm regarding it as a quiet weekend just for me surrounded by English speaking people and gorging on steaks, pizza, and hamburgers -- my last for quite a while. LOL
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Sorry for the confusion, NeoPatrick!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM

Hi NeoPatrick,
I hope you're enjoying/enjoyed your weekend in Chicago. Did you enjoy "A Parallelogram?"

Travel safe to Shanghai!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

I'm IN Shanghai. Arrived today.

Yes, really enjoyed Parallelogram, and didn't realize it is the same playwright as Clybourne Park I saw in NYC this year.

Also enjoyed Shrek on Friday night. Couldn't get a good ticket on HOTTIX, so paid $40 more for center of fourth row.

Great weather! Did a lot of walking. Hit the Museum of Contemporary Art. Did a lot of eating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -