Reload this Page >

Chicago - Please Help Me Find the Non-Touristy Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:18 PM
helpplease

Any suggestions? Everytime I've gone I've apparently been steered to the tourist traps? If they were so great - wouldn't the natives be eating there?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:58 PM
thereuare

I was in Chicago last May and tried to do a fair amount of research before i went. I was there for a wedding, so between the wedding nite and rehersal dinner, didn't leave much on our own.

Don't know if it's considered touristy or not, but we had a great meal at Fontera Grill (also shares same location with Topobalamo(??)). The owner of both locations is Rick Bayless, who is one of the hottest chefs these days.

Also, it may be touristy, but Pizzeria Uno (or Due) are always a "must do" for me when i'm in Chicago. I know for a fact that it's frequented by locals, and i think many tourists stay away from it since their local Uno's (at the mall) sucks.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Chicagoan

The natives do eat at the touristy ones. How can you tell a Chicagoan from a non-Chicagoan. You will have to go outside the downtown area to get completely away from the tourists.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Jackie

If you are looking for a low key place (non dressy, non gourmet), my favorite is Lucky Platter in Evanson. It's #1 on our list when in Chicago.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 08:33 PM
holly

Thereuare -

Frontera and "Topolabampo" are both very good and although very popular with tourists, you will find locals there.

I was born and raised in Chicago, went to school there, etc. Other than grad school and a few years overseas, I've lived my entire life there. I have NEVER heard a native - even from the burbs - suggest going to Uno or Due. In fact - I've only been to Uno twice - both times at the request of out of town friends. Someone from my office worked their way through school there and said it's 90 % tourists and 10% suburbanites. There is nothing wrong with it - but i've never heard it described as anything but a touristy place.

If you want great stuffed pizza in Chicago where you'd be hard pressed to find a tourist, go to Pequod's Pizza at Webster and Clybourn in the Lincoln Park/West DePaul area - trust me. Giordano's and Lou Malnati's are also extremely popular with locals.

Somre of my other favorites include Angelina for italian (on North Broadway) and Le Bouchon (in Bucktown) (french bistro). Both are very tiny so call for reservations.

I'll think of some more later.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:39 AM
Beth

I have lived in Chicago for a couple of years and here are my favorite spots. For romantic go to Geja's in Lincoln Park for an intimate fondue meal. I really like Heaven on Seven, great New Orleans style food. Yes the Heaven downtown is filled with tourist but go to the one on Clark street near Wrigley and you will find all locals. Penny's Noodle shop has a couple of locations in Lincoln Park and Lakeview for cheap but great Thai food. For pizza, we do Lou Malnati's or Geno's East , the trick to get away from tourists is to get out of downtown. Both of these pizzerias have Lincoln Park locations where locals hangout. Flattop Grill on Southport and Belmont is a yummy mongolian grill type place. I love Texas Star Fajita Grill and El Jardin for mexican, both are near Wrigley. Something fun is Cafe Barbareeba tapas dinner off Armitage. For a good glass of wine and a eclectic dinner, the Outpost on clark is great (hundreds of kinds of wine!) My best find ever is Rose Angelis for Italian. It is in the middle of a residential neighborhood in Lincoln Park on Wrightwood and is a fabulous old home converted to an italian restaurant. Problem is they don't take reservations and the wait on a weekend is always about 2 hours! However, they make their mozzerella from scratch so you can snack on the bruchetta while waiting. The Lincoln Park and Wrigley areas have great restaurants and this is still in the city go maybe 2 or 3 miles north of downtown and you will find all the locals as this is the most crowded area of the city and with lots of young professionals and urban types, you'll see many great restaurants. Look on clark, Sheffield, Belmont, Broadway and Southport! By the way, all of these great restaurants are moderately priced too. Other than Geja's, I wouldn't expect more than $25-$30/person including drinks tax and tip at any of these places.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:31 AM
Kris

Here's a link at Metromix's (Chicago Tribune) site for restaurant reviews that you might find helpful.

http://www.metromix.com/top/1,1419,M...!Front,00.html

In the downtown area, not too far from Michigan Avenue, you can try Cafe Iberico for Spanish tapas (N. LaSalle St.) I also like Carson's Ribs even though it's a chain (gasp!) and there are tourists and suburbanites (gasp!)there. Lou Malnati's is good for pizza and is in the downtown area (N. Wells St.). My co-workers swear that the original Heaven on Seven location on Wabash is far superior to the one on Rush, can't verify that as I haven't tried the one on Rush. The one on Wabash is close to the shopping on State Street. Usually a long line for lunch but it goes very quick.

If you try Frontera Grill, be prepared to wait in line on the weekend. No reservations for small parties, I think 5-6 is the minimum for reservations.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 07:16 AM
Kristen

Major kudos to you for wanting to avoid the touristy spots! Chicago has sooo much to offer in the way of great neighborhood restaurants, yet the Hard Rock Cafe and Uno's continue to draw crowds (yuck!). Have lunch at Heaven on Seven in the Garland Bldg (111 N Wabash Ave). This is the original and best location, and is not far from the Art Institute, Grant Park, the Loop, etc. Definitely do dinner at Geja's on Armitage (unless you hate fondue). It is a Chicago staple, and has been there since the 70s, with good reason. A classy, romantic, fun spot--the dessert fodues are especially awesome! Cafe Baba Reba is hands down a great choice--but be prepared to wait, unless you get there before 7. Great sangria and tapas. For pizza, try Chicago Pizza Oven Grinder on Clark. It's is one of those restaurants that's still original-a cozy and intimate setting. Great pizza, and a must to try is the meditterean bread-A thin-crusted bread with great spices & oils! Go early, or be prepared to wait. Bacino's is also a true Chicago favorite for pizza.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:04 AM
bud

The above posts name some pretty good restaurants,I'am a local and I've been to them all, but for great local pizza try Home Run Inn(4254 west 31st street)
But if you want truly,HANDS DOWN,the best pizza in the world,known only to locals-Nick & Vito's 8435 south pulaski!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 10:10 AM
joel

My favorite Spanish restaurant is Cafe Iberico on LaSalle Street off Chicago Avenue. Cafe Ba-Ba-Reba on Halsted Street is a chain restaurant owned by Lettuce-Entertain-You, which I think has very bland, yucky food.

For Mexican food, try Las Mananitas located on Halsted & Brompton in the gay district of Chicago. They have some great margaritas ($20 a pitcher), great food (priced $7-$11) and the atmosphere is so awesome. El Jardin for food is just okay but their margaritas suck! They actually pour Everclear into their margaritas to give it a kick (how stupid is that).

I prefer Giordano's for Chicago-style stuff pizza. Try the Greektown location.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:44 PM
holly

Joel -

El Jardin margaritas serve a very specific purpose - to get people drunk first sans tequila (for those who can no longer even stand the smell of tequila die to a bad college experience.) I never heard anyone describe them as top shelf cocktails.

I'll post more later.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 07:48 PM
Bill

Holly:
Methinks you have engaged in a bit of hyperbole with regard to your Uno's comments.
I've spent a goodly amount of time in Chicago, not the majority of my life. While I do not think Uno's has top shelf pizza, I know several locals who actually favor it over my personal faves, Bacino's and Malnati's.
And if NO ONE from Chicago loves it, why does it routinely garner so many votes in the local magazine and web polls? It never wins, but obviously there are quite a few people in town who like it.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:34 AM
holly

Bill -

I'd appreciate it if you'd point out where I used hyperbole. First, I never said a bad thing about the pizza itself. Secondly, I wasn't exaggerating when I said that I've never heard a local suggest going there - this isn't hyperbole - just my experience. Third - the % of tourists i stated was given to me by someone who worked there for many years - i can't verify the accuracy of those numbers - nor did I say that I could. Your statement that I said "NO ONE form Chicago loves it" is simply incorrect - i didn't say anything of the sort.

Finally, I don't know if this is really the most useful thread for defending Uno - look at the call of the question. Good pizza or not - this poster is looking for non-touristy restaurants - and even if there are some locals there, Uno does not fit that catergory. Many of the reviews/polls you're citing will verify that.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:42 AM
holly

here are some more restaurants -

Mas (Wicker Park)
Redfish (downtown)
Red Light (West Loop)
Vong (River North)
KiKi's Bistro (River North)
Zinfandel (River North)
Mia Francesca (several locations)
Santorini (Greektown)
Salpicon (Old Town - if Frontera/Topo are too crowded)

There is not enough room here to go into detail. Metromix.com is a great site for searching by name, cuisine, price, or neighborhood. You'll see very frank reviews from many people.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 08:16 AM
danny

tell me more about red light?how about these:
blackbird
mod
marche
soul kitchen
farhenheit(sp)

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:21 PM

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 07:20 PM
cheri

I'm sorry you have to go to The chesse cake factory. After a long week of moving my sister from n.j we finally went out our last night. The food was to die for. Plenty of food,excellent service and you can't beat the prices. I was so tired that night but I think it is in the Sears Tower. I know the ride up was like a rollercoaster. Sorry hope someone else can help with location. People were dress from jeans to evening wear. Never got to try the cheesecake. I was to full. also had a health doggie bag. Also visited the location in miami.My goodness!!!

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:35 AM
helpplease

I appreciate the suggestions - keep them coming! As someone noted above, places like Pizzeria Uno and Cheesecake Factory are exactly what I'm NOT looking for my next trip.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 07:37 AM
Linda

Go to Wicker Park/Bucktown - Echo, Meritage,Spring, Feast: tourists don't usually get that far. A number of great new places are there. (search Metromix City-Northwest) Take the Blue Line to Damen and the restaurants are all within walking distance.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 12:16 PM
Dylan

Linda
tell us more about the restaurants in Wicker Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -