Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago Pizza favorite? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-pizza-favorite-381625/)

Hayden Dec 10th, 2003 12:48 PM

Chicago Pizza favorite?

My husband and I will be in Chi town for three nights this weekend on my big 30th birthday. He has a big dinner planned for Thursday night, but we want a nicer pizza restaurant possibly for Friday. If we don't do that what are opinions on Ambria restaurant. Would reservations be immpossible now. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

mrt Dec 10th, 2003 12:55 PM

Ambria is one of the top 20 (maybe 10) restaurants in Chicago. You should call asap and may only be able to get in early of after 9:30. It is not cheap.
Ambria is not downtown, in the gold coast area, or around rush St. it is located in Lincoln park (actaully next to the park near Fullerton)

swalter518 Dec 10th, 2003 01:01 PM

Ambria is great but not a Chicago pizza place-most of those, no, none of those would qualify as fancy. That being said, Lou Malnatis is my favorite, followed (way far behind) by Ginos East and Pizzaria Uno and Due, followed by Giordanos.

NotoriousMEG Dec 10th, 2003 01:10 PM

I love Medici on Surf or 57th Street. It's a cute little restaurant with great pizza, but very different than Gino's. Definitely "a nicer pizza restaurant."

mrt Dec 10th, 2003 01:20 PM

There is a place near Clybourn and Webster named Pequods which is actually my favorite. However, I would not make the drive if I were a tourist. It is kind of a dump.

Abi Dec 10th, 2003 08:17 PM

My favorite is Giordano's on Rush Sreet.

Kristi Dec 11th, 2003 05:03 AM

You can see if there are reservations open for Ambria on www.opentable.com. It looks like 6:00 and 9:15 are still open on Friday. If you are going, make reservations now as they will get booked up closer to the weekend.

Ambria is a French restaurant in Lincoln Park 2-3 miles outside of the tourist area, one of the top restaurants in Chicago.

Pizza places in Chicago aren't really what you would consider "nice restaurants", if you want a little more ambiance you might consider an Italian restaurant. But all of the major ones are decent restaurants, not what you'd consider a dive.

Everyone has their opinion about pizza in Chicago, my faves are Lou Malnati's, Pizzeria Uno (although I go to one in the burbs)and Edwardo's. Giordano's is also good, lots of people like Gino's.

Medici, which was mentioned above, is in Hyde Park which is several miles from downtown. It's located not too far away from the Museum of Science and Industry.

MzPossum Dec 11th, 2003 06:08 AM

Pizzaria Uno!

Hayden Dec 11th, 2003 06:25 AM

Thank you all. I think my husband wants to do a "dive" pizza place Friday. We will be celebrating at a surprise place tonight for my 30th. Who knows the best route from O'Hare to Omni on Michigan. Thank you all again.

patg Dec 11th, 2003 06:41 AM

If you are arriving at O'Hare between 3-6 p.m., take the blue line El train to Clark and Lake, then a cab for the last mile to the hotel. Or, take the blue line to Washington/State, transfer to the red line northbound, and get off at Chicago Avenue. It's still 3-4 short blocks to the hotel, though.

My pizza vote goes to Lou Malnati's, (there's one on Wells Street) A great jazz group, Dave Holland's band, is playing this weekend at nearby Jazz Showcase, if that interests you.

Hayden Dec 11th, 2003 06:45 AM

Thank you, that sounds great. We will take the train as we travel light. Lou's sounds great. How far a walk to there from Omni? Thank you again. Usually I do this sooner, but just knew I could pull it together. Can't wait!

patg Dec 11th, 2003 06:59 AM

Malnati's is at 439 N. Wells, a little over a mile from the Omni. Wells is 6-7 blocks west of Michigan. You have to get a little away from Michigan Avenue for cheap eats! Blues Chicago is also in that neighborhood, if your still looking for evening entertainment.

rjw_lgb_ca Dec 11th, 2003 07:07 AM

Excellent choice! Lou Malnati is my favorite pizzeria in Chicago. It's not a long walk-- less than a mile. Head down Michigan towards the river, then right on Ontario (heading west); seven blocks down make a left on Wells, then about four blocks to Lou Malnati's! If it's cold or blustery (which it probably will be), it's a super-short cab ride.

If you're in the mood for Mexican, Frontera Grill (445 N. Clark) is quite wonderful, and more casual than its upscale sibling Topolobampo (right next door). Deadly margaritas...!

cmeyer54 Dec 11th, 2003 07:14 AM

Our favorite place for pizza is the Chicago Oven Grinder in Lincoln Park - unusual in that the pizza toppings and sauce are in an oven crock with the crust placed over the top and around it; after baking, the whole thing is turned out/over on the serving plate - really fun, really good and usually crowded. Its in an old brownstone across the street from the St Valentine's Day Massacre location - supposedly guys hid out here to watch the action.

martytravels Dec 11th, 2003 07:16 AM

Giordano's on Rush, rates ahead of Gino's because of the crust. Sublime.

Cerlaurie Dec 11th, 2003 09:45 AM

Another vote for Lou Malnati's. However, if you don't want to go that far Giordano's is closer and is also good. Giordano's is a stuffed pizza whereas Lou's is Chicago deep dish. Frontera Grill is excellent but they do not take reservations and there is usually a line already at 4:45 on Friday when I am heading to my train. Beware, the temperatures dropped overnight and it is pretty cold in Chicago today and will be all weekend so dress warm!!

jacketwatch Dec 11th, 2003 11:02 AM

LOU MAL's !!!

DanB Dec 11th, 2003 11:07 AM

Giordano's all the way,their stuffed pizza is fantastic. Malnatti's, Uno/Duo, Ginos are ok, but you can get similar pizza anywhere.

rmtraut Dec 22nd, 2003 06:34 PM

The Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder is a classic Chicago joint when we go out. We always order from The Art of Pizza.

kameha Dec 23rd, 2003 07:25 AM

Do you want a nice pizza place or the BEST pizza? If you want the best go to Bacinos!