Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago O'Hare - Min. time for terminal transfer?

Notices

Old May 12th, 2006, 10:42 AM
tcl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the minimum time needed to transfer from Terminal 5 (Swiss Air) to Terminal (United) in Chicago O'Hare Airport?
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Once you are off the Swiss Air plane I would say it would take you 20 minutes to walk *if* you can walk quickly. But I think I would want to have *at least* a 40-45 minute scheduled layover.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM
tcl
Original Poster

Thanks scorrell. One of the flights I'm considering has a layover of about an hour.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 1 Post
Is this a connection to or from an international flight? If so the walking time has almost nothing to do w/ how long you need.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM

There is a tram to & from the various terminals. The tram eventually goes to the parking lots. Coming from the parking lot, the trams' first stop is the international terminal & the United terminal is the last stop. Then the tram reverses & goes back to the parking lot stoping at all the terminals in between. Even with the couple of terminal stop in between International & United, if you catch it at the right time, it should only take you about 5 minutes at the most. Sometimes, you may have to wait 5 or 10 minutes for a tram, & you have to allow about 5 minutes to walk to & from the tram locations at the terminals. But the real time limitations will be how long it will take you to get through customs & then check in at the United terminal.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
tcl
Original Poster

Thank janisj & Bill. You both brought up good points about custom (I completely forgot about that!). Yes, I'll flying internationally from Zurich to Chicago on Swiss and then transferring to United to my final destination. Hmm...I will have to rethink the flight then. Perhaps I need about 2 hours to give myself enough time to go through customs and get from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:58 PM

I would opt for a minimum of an hour. If I remember correctly, the Swiss flight arrives around 3:20 (from ZRH) and that happens to be a time when a lot of int'l flights are arriving at the same time. Lines at immigration can be long, and especially if you are in the NON-US citizen line. Then, you have to wait for your baggage, which can take 15 minutes. Once you collect your bags, you must take them through the customs line (which can be long) and then exit the secured area. Drop your bags with UA and proceed to the escalator UP to the tram. The int'l terminal is #5, and most UA flights depart from terminal #1. There are two stops on the tram route before you get from #5 to #1 as there is no #4.

Now, if you are on a "commuter" flight connection, it might not leave from terminal 1. Terminal 1 has gates B and C. Terminal 2 has gates such as F and G and H. Some commuter flights do leave from these terminal 2 gates and not from UA Terminal #1.

I'd want an hour to do all that!
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 1 Post
I'd want about 2 hours. You will have to go land-side so you have to go back through security after customs/immigration/bag re-check.

security lines could be short/quick - or they could be a nightmare.
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:19 PM
tcl
Original Poster

Thanks simpsonc510 for the detailed directions for O'Hare. I'll definitely refer to them if I go through O'Hare. After reading this thread and other threads about major airports like O'Hare, I think I'm going to play it safe and require approximately 2 hours for transfers/immigration/customs/security checks.