Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago Midway Airport to Milwaukee - need hotel enroute

Apr 15th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Attending college graduation in Milwaukee and have free Southwest tickets to Chicago Midway airport. Flight arrives late Friday night and departs early Monday morning so would like a hotel not more than, say, 30 minutes from the airport. Do you think it is best to stay at one of the Midway Airport hotels or might there be
a town off the highway to Milwaukee that might work as well? Thanks!
Apr 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM

Sounds like you should stay at one of the Midway hotels. A small bonus would be that you could drop your car off the night before and take the hotel shuttle to the airport.

Driving a half-hour north of Midway gets you to....the O'Hare area. And that can be a traffic nightmare on a weekday morning.

Just to add, highway repair season is in full swing. Check out your route going north - 294 vs. 94 - on cltv.com on another source.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

We arrive at 11pm on a Friday night and I was just checking availability for Midway Airport hotels and they are either soldout or VERY EXPENSIVE! Looks like we have to go I94 north and wondering about maybe the Courtyard in Highland Park - mapquest says 36 miles - it will be very late but early by our "California" clocks. Thanks for your help.
Apr 20th, 2007, 04:31 AM

I would recommend going to Priceline. You DO NOT want to get yourself in a "bad" hotel around Midway airport that late at night.
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

We love Priceline and have had many great experiences with it but when reading reviews on biddingfortravel for midway area it looks like some of the hotels are actually many miles from the airport and I don't want to end up with something the other direction from where we need to go.
Thanks!
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Sorry I didn't read your post correctly. I thought you were looking for a hotel for Sunday night, on your way back.

Anything along 94 will work for you. There are good hotels in Skokie (Hampton on Old Orchard Road, Doubletree on Golf Road) that are 15 minutes closer to Midway than Highland Park. But the area around Lake-Cook Road is nice (it's also known as County Line Road.) The hotels could be listed in Deerfield, Northbrook or Highland Park. That Courtyard is right off the expressway (the one in Deerfield is 1-2 miles west, a little quieter location.)

You can easily go west and take the tollway, 294, to Wisconsin, from that area. Use Waukegan Road, turning south from Lake-Cook.
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Whatever you decide, you need to book something right away. Be advised that hotel/motel accomodations along Highway 94 are at a premium on Friday nights. Highland Park is certainly on your route, though I don't have experience with the property. If your California clocks truly are set on early, maybe you should just head on up to Milwaukee, which at that time should take 1.5 to 2 hours.
Apr 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

patg, you were correct actually, we are also looking for midway area for Sunday night and maybe we will consider Priceline for that one. Thanks for the excellent info for Hwy 94 hotel options - that's just the info I was hoping for and marilynl, my hubby balked a bit when I mentioned driving 30 miles Friday night so I think I won't push him all the way to Milwaukee that night!But I do see the need to book asap - hotels seem very booked up. Thanks so much!