Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago - METRA and EL Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-metra-and-el-question-629155/)

chasechow Jul 7th, 2006 01:31 PM

Chicago - METRA and EL Question

I will be visiting in the Chicago area next month to attend niece's graduation at the Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes and have made reservations at the Hyatt in Deerfield.

I've been looking at the transportation websites for METRA and the EL. I think I've figured out that I would take the METRA from Deerfield into downtown and then the EL around the city.

If I want to end up in the vicinity of Michigan Avenue, do I take the METRA all the way to Union Station or is there a closer stop along the way? Will METRA put me within walking distance of Michigan Avenue or would I still need to catch the EL?

I hope my questions make sense. Have NEVER been to Chicago before and am not really familiar with public transporation.

I really appreciate any help that Fodorites can give me.

Thanks

Survivor Jul 7th, 2006 01:36 PM

Just wait till JJ5 comes in. She lives in the suburbs and takes Metra into the city.

CAPH52 Jul 7th, 2006 01:48 PM

Union Station is in the Loop. Different Metra lines terminate at different stations. But Union Station is the termination of that line. That's as close as that train will take you to Michigan Avenue. You could walk from Union Station to Michigan Avenue but it's a pretty good walk. This is assuming that you're talking about N Michigan aka the Mag Mile? However, I'm not sure that taking the el would make sense at that point. You may have to consider a cab.

Brookside Jul 7th, 2006 03:04 PM

Chasechow -- It all depends on where you want to go. The metra station is a little far from the Red line el train stop, which is the only line that goes to the Mich. Ave. area. To do this, you could walk east on Jackson from the metra station to the red line stop(it's nearly a mile.) Then take the red line train to either Grand or Chicago (further north) and then walk another couple of blocks east to Mich. Ave.

Personally, I think the busses are *much* easier. You could pick up the #125 right at the Canal St. stop (just outside the metra station and just north of Adams St.), which will take you straight to N. Mich Ave. area. Fare is $2.00 -- it's easy and cheap.

FYI - the CTA trip planner at www.transitchicago.com can plot a course for you anywhere in the city. Just select "Union Station" from the drop down menu under "choose your starting point," then enter the address of wherever you want to go in the "destination" section.

Hope this helps - good luck!

chasechow Jul 10th, 2006 12:18 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.

Yes Caph, I was referring to the Mag Mile. From what I can tell, isn't this the general area where I might find the art museum and other sites of interest? I am leaning towards taking a cab from the METRA stop. I'm thinking that shouldn't be a big deal.

Thank you Brookside for posting that website. That is MOST helpful.

I know my question may have seemed kind of basic. It has been years since I've traveled into "The City" (was in NYC back in 84) and I'm traveling on this trip solo, so it seemed a bit daunting.

Thanks again.

MerryTravel Jul 10th, 2006 12:48 PM

Do they still have the boats that go from Union to Michigan Avenue via the river? I never took one but I know some commuters use them in the summer. That might be a fun option to look into.

jlm_mi Jul 10th, 2006 12:56 PM

The water taxi does go from near Union Station to Navy Pier:

http://www.shorelinesightseeing.com/.../routemaps.htm

chasechow - It does depend somewhat on where you're going. The Magnificent Mile is Michigan Avenue roughly from the river north to Oak Street (or thereabouts - I don't profess to know the details of these boundaries). The Art Institute is a bit south of there. If you are headed to the Art Institute from Union Station, it's about 3/4 mile walk due east, so that's easy for many people (unless you're toting luggage).

If you were headed to the north end of Michigan Ave for shopping, a cab from Union Station would probably make the most sense, as that would be closer to 2 miles or so.

But, once you've decided what you want to see/do in Chicago, that should make it easier to figure out the best ways to get around.

FainaAgain Jul 10th, 2006 01:07 PM

Does anybody know if the water taxi runs after Labor Day?

patg Jul 10th, 2006 03:47 PM

The Shoreline water taxi from Union Station/Sears Tower stops running after Labor Day. The same company runs the boat from Museum Campus to Navy Pier, and that does continue into October.

chasechow Jul 10th, 2006 04:47 PM

Thanks for the additional responses.

The things that I know that I plan to do is a river architectural tour, the art museum, the Tut exhibit (yes I know I will need to get my tickets in advance), some shopping and to choose a place to catch lunch/dinner (have seen several wonderful places listed on here to choose from) that has a wonderful view. I'll only have two full days so I don't know if this is too much of an undertaking for that amount of time or not.