Chicago in June w/ pregnant wife

Jun 9th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Chicago in June w/ pregnant wife

Will be in Chicago from June 26-28 w/ my wife who is 3 months pregnant. We've been there several times over the years and usually run around from bar to bar but will not be doing that this trip.
Here's what we have planned so far, tickets to Cubs game on 26th, going to Shedd Auditorium on either Friday or Saturday, Taste of Chicago starts on Friday so will wander over there on either Friday or Saturday. We're staying at Congress Hotel which is right across from Grant Park. We're needing some more ideas of what to do. We'll probably hit Giordanos or some other pizza joint. How about steak? Italian? Is the Navy Pier worth checking out? How about some boat tours? How far is the beach from where we're staying. We're right across from Buckingham fountain in Grant Park. All thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
Jun 9th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Be sure and do one of the Architecture Institute's Architectural boat tours --- they're wonderfull. An added bonus is that your pregnant wife will be able to sit down and enjoy at the same time!
Jun 9th, 2003, 02:01 PM

We went on the architectural river cruise in May and really enjoyed it. It's given by the Architecture Foundation and goes along the Chicago River from Lake Michigan to River City on the south branch and about up to the old Wards building on the north branch. It's $25 per person and leaves from the southeast corner of Michigan and Wacker.

http://architecture.org/river.html

If you decide to do one on Lake Michigan instead I think it would be better in the daytime than in the evening but that's my personal preference. I didn't think the Spirit of Chicago's dinner cruise was a good value but they have one on the 28th for $25 at 3:30 pm that includes some appetizers-see the schedule at this link

http://www.navypier.com/SubLink.cfm?...D=16&Sub_ID=13

My sister in law really enjoyed Windy, which is a tall ship. I think she did the evening starlight cruise on a Saturday which would include a good view of the fireworks from Navy Pier. I don't think the $25 includes any refreshments.

http://www.tallshipwindy.com/Skyline...ne_cruises.htm

I'd recommend trying to hit the Shedd on Friday instead of Saturday when the crowds are likely to be smaller. Same advice for the Taste, crowds are smaller on the weekdays, esp. after the lunch hour.

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/SpecialEvent...als/Taste2003/
Jun 9th, 2003, 04:48 PM

I agree that the architectural boat tour is great. If you are going to the Navy Pier, you may want to ride the ferris wheel. It gives a good view of Chicago. I also recommend getting 1/2 price show tickets at the visitor center acrosss from the Hancock Tower. You can get tickets to a variety of shows including Second City and productions at the pier.
Jun 10th, 2003, 06:35 AM

I'll second going to the Shedd and the Taste on Friday; your location should allow you to do both the same day. Ohio Street Beach is near Navy Pier, but I'd recommend going a bit farther north to Oak Street Beach. It's near Lincoln Park with its free zoo and beautiful gardens if the beach scene gets to be a bit much. I'd also suggest going up to the top of the Handcock Building for a view of the city. There's a restaurant on the 95th floor where you could go for lunch on Saturday. The recommendation for Second City is a good one. Even if you can't get tickets, you still might want to consider going to "Old Town" to eat as there are some good restaurants in the North Avenue and Well Streets area.

Don't forget about the free trolley shuttle between major downtown attractions. It will save you major cab fare if walking becomes an effort!
Jun 10th, 2003, 01:47 PM

For steak, I highly recommend Wildfire restaurant located at 159 W. Erie. It's not walking distance from your hotel, however it should only be a $7ish cabride. The number is 312-787-9000. Nice, comfy and cozy ambiance. People wear everything from jeans to dress pants.
Jun 12th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Saw an article in the paper this morning about the possibiity of a strike by hotel workers at the Congress Plaza Hotel and the possibility of it closing. It might all be bluffing but here's a link to the article

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2203969.story
Jun 12th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I am glad no one recommened Gibson's since I personally do not like it. I would go to Morton's for steak. There are so many good Italian restaurants. My favorite is Francesca's. There is the original on Clark Street - Mia Francesca's and there is also one on Taylor that is very good.
Jun 13th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We changed hotels to the Sheraton Towers. Any opinions on this one? And things to do in that area?
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Hi! I live in Wrigleyville! A great new restaurant in the area is Platiyo for Mexican Food. The Architectural boat tour is wonderful and takes you through Chicago on the river. You can catch on at the bride (under it really) by the Tribune Tower at Michigan Ave. Recommend Pizanos Pizza on N State for really good pizza and a CHicago feel. There are several asian resaturants and a Bar Louis around the corner from your hotel at Polk & Deerborn. Navy pier is definintely worth a stroll, ride the ferris wheel maybe. Go early before its hot and crowded (you can also rent bikes). Just saw the Shedd's wild reef, it's amazing, definitely see it.
Gibson or the Chop House for Steak.
Vivo on Randolph for nice good Italian. Check out metromix.com for more ideas. Welcome!
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:12 AM

Strike's on at the Congress; it started Sunday. Glad that you changed hotels, you owe Kristi big time!
Jun 16th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Wow, yes Kristi, I do owe you a big thanks! I never would've caught that unless I used this forum! Thanks to all the other comments as well. Feel free to keep 'em coming.

Jun 16th, 2003, 11:33 AM

Congrats and good luck to you both on impending parenthood. Enjoy Chicago; it's such a great place. Travel will certainly change for you after the baby is born...
Jun 16th, 2003, 02:07 PM

You're welcome

If you have a minute, pop into the Cultural Center on Randolph, 1/2 block from Michigan (you can also enter from the Washington Street side). Not only do they have a ton of visitor information but the interior is amazing! I've been passing by it for years and finally stopped in the other day. Be sure to go up to the 3rd floor and see the Tiffany glass dome.

And if you need a snack, a couple of blocks down from the Cultural Center at 26 East Randolph is Garrett's Popcorn. It's as good as people say it is.

Jun 17th, 2003, 01:19 PM

PJ, after the Cubs game on Thursday, certainly walk south on Clark Street and have dinner at a place like Platiyo or one of the many, many restaurants--from local "chains" like Heaven on 7 or Goose Island, to one of the interesting Thai or Japanese or Ethopian places. Then, walk down Belmont (checking out the hip/whacky shops and shoppers) to catch the Red Line back downtown.

What are your restaurant interests? What types of food/price range?
Have you ever hung out in Wicker Park/Bucktown?

In Chicago, it's always a great idea to try to get out of the downtown area--even if it just means going to Randolph Street for dinner (Vivo, Marche, Red Light, Blackbird), or to Greektown (sit outside, upstairs at Pegasus). But, I'd recommend heading into the neighborhoods, like Wicker Park/Bucktown or up to Lincoln Park, or Lincoln Square.

Metromix is a great guide for restaurants etc.
Jun 17th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Here's the lineup for the Mainstage of Taste of Chicago:

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/SpecialEvent...als/Taste2003/

Search this Thread