Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago, IL - Architectural Boat Tours (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-il-architectural-boat-tours-986805/)

smilies79 Jul 29th, 2013 07:44 AM

Chicago, IL - Architectural Boat Tours

We are going to be in Chicago this Thursday, August 1st through Sunday, August 4th. I have heard of the Architectural Boat Tours. Can anyone tell me if there is a certain company that is "better" than others to use? If we reserve still in advance, can you skip the ticket lines?

Any info anyone can provide me on this would be greatly appreciated!

Citylghts Jul 29th, 2013 07:55 AM

The tours operated by the Chicago Architectural Foundation get consistent high marks. Their site is www.architecture.org but tours fill quickly. You'd do well to check the weather for when you're visiting, then buy tickets a couple days in advance of the day you want.

KTtravel Jul 29th, 2013 07:59 AM

We enjoyed the tour with the above company very much. Even with reserved tickets, you might line up a bit in advance so you can choose your seat.

smilies79 Jul 29th, 2013 08:08 AM

Anyone know if there is ever discounted tickets?

ElendilPickle Jul 29th, 2013 10:03 AM

We bought a Groupon deal for Shoreline Sightseeing's architecture tour. It was enjoyable and entertaining. As you've read, the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour gets high marks as well.

Lee Ann

fmpden Jul 29th, 2013 11:01 AM

I think the Chicago Architectural Foundation is the go to for these types of tours. Their offices are across from the Art Museum. They have dozens of tours, mostly walking, that are terrific for understanding Chicago. Sunday is always a very busy day so try for Monday or Tuesday. The boat tour is the near the top of most "Must Do" lists.

HappyTrvlr Jul 29th, 2013 11:14 AM

The Chicago Architecture Foundation is not a company rather a non-profit organization that studies and supports Chicago's famous architecture. They offered the educationalmriver cruise before the others. We belonged to CAF when we lived in Chicago; there are lots of benefits in addition to supporting a worthy organization.

simpsonc510 Jul 29th, 2013 12:31 PM

I was able to walk into the office across from the Art Institute and get 4 tickets for same day/afternoon cruise. This was on a mid-week day, about two years ago. It was absolutely delightful. Wear a hat though! That sun is intense on that open deck. The view is fabulous though. And soooooo much information about the buildings.... just one after the other!!! I'd go again right now, if I could.

newtome Jul 29th, 2013 01:27 PM

agree with the others CAF is a great tour but rarely if ever discounted. Bring sunscreen, and a hat.

yestravel Jul 29th, 2013 07:30 PM

CAF tour is great. Try for the Friday evening Twilight tour -- its delightful to see the sunset and the lights in the buildings go on.

smilies79 Aug 1st, 2013 04:03 AM

Thank you everyone...I appreciate all the input! I look forward to a great trip today! :)

DebitNM Aug 1st, 2013 04:55 AM

I also did the Shoreline tour (with 1/2 price groupon) and found the guide to be very knowledgable and also entertaining.