Chicago Hyatt Nearby Cheap Food

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J. Randolph's, 155 North Michigan, 3 blocks from the Hyatt.

This place is a great find. The menu prices are easily the least inexpensive in the area.

JR shares the same kitchen and some menu items with the upscale La Strada Restaurant next door. The quality is the same, except for lower prices.

At JR's, the restaurant is separated from the bar area, they have many large booths and a view out to Michigan Avenue.

JR serves inexpensive specials everyday. The portions are generous. Our favorites:

Wednesday and Friday the Mini Beef Sandwich for only $1.50. This "Mini" beef is 5 inches long and over stuffed with delicious beef.

Tuesday's special is a Mini Nacho Plate. $2.50. Not a mini at all, this plate is loaded with seasoned ground beef, cheddar, guacamole and more, all piled high over a plate full of freshly made Nacho chips.

With prepackage chips, Bennigan's charges over $5.00 for the same thing down the street.

Our favorite dish at JR's is the Angel Hair Pasta, $7.95 and Cheese Stuffed Tortellini $6.95., both freshly made, with soup or salad included and $6.00 cheaper than many places just up the street.

You can also splurge on a fancy desert or a cappuccino, brought in from La Strada.

Some other items on the menu, Hawaiian Shrimp Skewers, $5.75, Sandwiches, 5.75 - $7.25, Wraps, Quesadillas, Fajitas, Ribs, Steak, Chicken and seafood.

----

Below the Hyatt, there is a large mall, with many shop and restaurants. In this mall,

The Oriental Express
serves a delicious General Chicken, lightly battered, deep fried chicken with a brown ginger sauce. Not at all like the usual crap served at the ubiquitous Chinese fast food places in the loop.

Order off the menu and add a large rice to your order. You can easily feed 3 people for $12.00.

We order our General Chicken with extra, extra, extra, extra ginger and we really love this dish. Call ahead, it will be ready when you get there.

-------

65 Chinese Restaurant, 336 North Michigan Avenue - About a block away from the Hyatt, you can't miss seeing the huge wedding cakes in the window.

What's special about 65 Chinese is that you can order everything fresh.

When you walk in, the food is displayed cafeteria style in hot serving tray, but the locals know the trick, you can order any of the items displayed in the serving trays fresh at the same price.

You can get a huge plate of food for less than $6.00.

This place is a real find for cheap decent food.

Try a slice of the wedding cake, for only $1.25 when you order a plate of food. It's delicious.

------------------

For years, hot dogs in the city center were pricy. Outside the center city, you could find 2 dogs and fries for $2.00 but, it was not until recently that truly inexpensive dogs were available in the Loop, Near North, Mag Mile or the Gold Coast areas.

Just down the street from 65 Chinese and other place are 7-11's and the hot dogs are only .99 cents.

For me, condements are an important part of the dog, even though other may fervently disagree with me, and I may lose total credibility with the foodies, I like the 7-11, .99cent hot dogs and piling on my own condiments.

----------

Siam Rice, 117 N. Wells in the Loop. 20 minutes walking, 3 minutes taxi.
BYOB in the loop and the food is fresh with hints of authentic Thai flavors.

We've pretty much given up on Thai food in Chicago, but this place stands out.
Our favorite, Tiger Cries, for only $9.98 you get a tasty Marinated Grilled Steak with Thai spicy sauces on the side and served with sticky rice. This sticky rice is hard to find in the city. Yummy.

Siam Rice is brand new in the loop and the interior design is classy. It's a BYOB and that's rare downtown. Bring along a bottle of champaign and have a cheap feast.

You can pick up the champaign at the grocery store below the Hyatt.

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Skip breakfast at the Hyatt- it set us back 45 bucks! Don't know about Champagne quality/prices,LOL. There's excellent variety and prices at Foodworld down in the Water Tower. I thought it was your typical food court- not! The stirfry station was excellent and they loaded on the fresh cilantro as requested.We ended up doing 2 lunches and dinner there with kids on last trip.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:23 PM

This is a wonderful list of inexpensive downtown Chicago restaurants, scubatv!

I don't quite understand how you order the "fresh" food at 65 Chinese Restaurant, though. Is it take out? Thanks! Laurie
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM
dln

Thanks, scubytv! My husband and I are making a long weekend in Chicago next month and we'll try some of your recommendations.

Here are a few of my good cheap food favorites: Corner Bakery, Big Bowl (Asian inspired) and Heaven on Seven (Creole). All of them have more than one location. Oh, yes, and Topolo Bampo (Spanish, but not sure I spelled it right!).

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments.

Good question Laurie.
The food at 65 Chinese is sold cafeteria style in hot serving trays. We might eat there on a Sunday afternoon or after lunch on weekdays, so the food will have been sitting out a bit longer than during peak hours and the Sweet and Sour Shrimp or Chicken, hot from the kitchen always taste best

For us, 65 Chinese is tasty sweet junk food, a splurge into the food you enjoy, but not dare eat everyday. There is a huge variety there.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 02:55 PM
droolpatrol

I can't believe no one mentioned the Billy Goat Tavern (I hope it's still there). Go for the "cheeborgers" -- it's on lower Michigan Avenue just north of the river. You will see stairs from "upper" Michigan Avenue that can take you there. Star of Siam is also great Thai -- Illinois Street just a few (2-4 I can't remember) blocks west of Michigan Avenue.

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Thanks again for your restaurant recommendations!