Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago Hotels-Swissotel, Homewood Suites or Hotel Monaco-Please Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:23 PM
This

I have narrowed the choices to these three. Which of the three provide the following:

1. Within walking distance (less than half mile) to places such as Navy Pier, Hancock Tower, ESPN Zone, Mag Mile.

2. Clean rooms, friendly staff, nice atmosphere - in other words, overall rating of at least three star facility

3. Walking distance to good restaurants

Thanks!!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Mina

Funny you should ask...I just recommended the Hotel Monaco yesterday. I think it will work for your three criteria, although walking to some places are further than others. Cabs are easy.

Here is my post from yesterday...I hope you don't mind that I cut and pasted. But it might give you an idea of the rooms...
-----
I love this hotel because it's funky! The rooms are bright. Pale green striped walls with splashes of red (curtains, etc). Sounds tacky, but somehow it works. There's also a huge mirror in the shape of a sun...usually strategically placed near the bed.

Also, if you get a room with a river view, there is a twin size spot to lay out by the windowsill. (If you don't get a view room, it's kind of a bummer, since you face another building).

For turn down service, they leave pixie stix, or other fun candies on your bed. If you feel lonely, they'll loan you a goldfish (I've never personally done this, but I hear they do.) My co-worker was there over July 4th weekend and said they have started giving out a mixed CD you can play in the room, and you are free to take it home. They also have wine and cheese in the afternoon.

It's not on Magnificent Mile...about 2 or 3 blocks off. Still very centrally located. I stay there every chance I get. The friend I mentioned above got a rate of $119 for her stay. During the summer, you can get pretty lucky with rates for this hotel.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Laurie

Not sure if you really want to only be 1/2 mile away but the only one that would be is Homewood Suites which is a 1/2 mile to ESPN Zone and Mag Mile. It is still close to 1 mile to Navy Pier and Watertower. Hotel Monaco is the furthest from all these locations. Homewood Suites is also closest to the best restaurants but all are fairly close to good restaurants.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Ang

Just so you know there is no hotel that could be within a half a mile of each of the sights as some of them are further than a mile away from each other. That being said if you got all three of these at the same price, I am amazed. The Swisshotel is a much higher rated hotel than the others. I would consider it a notch just below hotels like the Drake, Ritz etc, definitely a 4 star hotel and the views from there are AMAZING. It is right on the lake and super close to Navy Pier but water tower and mag mile shopping would be a very long walk or a short cab ride away. (This would be my pick though) However if space is an issue, then go for Homewood Suites because the rooms are larger and actually suite style. This hotel would be closer to mag mile shopping. But none of these hotels is a great distance away.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Suzy

I wouldn't say that Swissotel is very far long walk from the Mag Mile or Watertower. It is still less than a mile from beginning of Mag Mile and maybe close to a mile to Watertower. There are lots of stores to visit along the way. If it is a beautiful day it is a very nice walk.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Ang

For people who live in the area and walk alot, no, the Swisshotel is not a long walk, but approx a mile to major shopping areas like Watertower and Shops at 900 N. However, the original poster specifically siad walking distance to her was less than 1/2 mile or in otherwards about 3 blocks. The Swisshotel is much further than that. If tha tis her limit (less than 1/2 mile) she will need to cab it. Not everyone thinks a mile is walking distance. I live in the city and my personal limit for walking one stretch is about 6 blocks (3/4 mile) any further and I cab it. Different strokes for different folks.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:00 PM
lyn

We stayed at the Homewood Suites last time in Chicago. We recommended it to friends who were there just last week and they loved it too. Rooms are spacious and clean and staff is very friendly. It is just a block or two from Magnificent Mile, we walked to the Water Tower, etc. with no problems. Their price includes a free breakfast buffet and manager's reception at night. There is a free trolley every few minutes that will take you to the Navy Pier. We took a cab to the Field Museum and the aquarium (much too far to walk) and took the train to Wrigley Field (train stop just couple of blocks from hotel). There is also a small rooftop pool.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:47 PM
This

I went ahead and reserved the Homewood, but was doubting my selection after reading some of the posts about distance, plus I'm really very curious about the Hotel Monaco. We might try that while we're in the area, too, on the last part of our trip.

lyn, glad to read what you had to say about Homewood. It put my mid at ease, especially after also seeing it rated as a two-star facility on another website! Also glad to hear about the trolley to Navy Pier.

I do have another question for you...What are some good restaurants within walking distance?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:08 AM
liz

I would stay at the homewood suites, that is by Hilton Hotels right. That is centrally located. I will tell you that you definitely want to stay in the River North and Michigan Ave. area we were just there and all the restaurants and Hotels that I wanted to stay at were in that area. I told my husband next year we are staying closer to the old downtown area and by the river. So much to see and do and it is not that far from Lord & Taylors and Marshall fields. But you know the big Marshall fields store is actually downtown in the old business district we walked down there one day. It was fun. It was like a real old city. We had fun. Stay at homewood you will enjoy it. Take advice from a lady. I think we look for bigger rooms and cleaner too. Nothing against men, but my husband could care less about how a room looks or what's in it.

Liz

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Laurie

Liz, I never heard anyone refer to the area around Homewood Suites as "the old downtown" or the area around State Street at the "old business district". However, you are correct that the original big Marshall Field's is technically "downtown". There are several great restaurants within walking distance of Homewood Suites. It just really depends on what you are looking for. Joe's Seafood is connected to the Homewood Suites and is a very good restaurant. There are numerous restaurants within 1/2 mile. If you go to www.metromix.com, you can choose your hotel and click on what's nearby (within 1/2 mile)and MANY great restaurants will come up. It is a good site because there are also personal reviews for each restaurant. I can give you better advice if you are more specific also. What type of restaurants do you like? How expensive? Will children be traveling with you?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:33 PM
This

Laurie,
thanks for the Metromix tip. After looking there, I came across another great one - Citysearch.com, in case you or others want to check it out.