Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago Hotel Locations with kids - Starwood Properties to be specific

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Chicago in Sept and have a free night staying at a Starwood property. I cannnot decide what location would be best for us. Do we want to be on Lakeshore close to Navy Pier? Or do we want to be more central (downtown). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM

If you have a choice of all Starwood properties in Chicago, for a family I would choose Westin Michigan Avenue. That is right at the top of Michigan Avenue, next to Hancock, Water Tower, etc. Next choice would be Westin River North or Four Points Downtown/Magnificent Mile as not quite as conveninet but you can either walk or bus to attractions easily. River North locations likely have more family friendly restaurant options. I think I would not choose Sheraton or either W hotel (all a bit isolated from attractions and restaurants).

If you tell us what kind of restaurants your family enjoys at home we would have suggestions or you can try zagats.com, chicagoreader.com or timeout.com.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I'd do the sheraton chicago hotel and towers; its on the river and within walking distance of most attractions. you can probably see the navy pier fireworks from there and I think the free trolley stops there to take you up and down michigan ave. You'll be very close to where the wendella boats dock if you want to do a river cruise. as for restaurants, you're a block off Michigan ave - plenty of choices there, a few blocks from Rush/Division area with tons of choices and maybe 3-4 blocks from navy pier. its very centrally located - right across the river from the Hyatt Regency and just a few years old.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback so far...any other comments would be helpful. We would love some great places to eat. We are not "Rainforest Cafe" people. We do not have to go to kid themed places to eat. We eat out often and anywhere. We love Italian, mexican, middle eastern,etc. If you have any suggestions that might be off the beaten path, we would love to hear about them. We are most familiar with New York City and will ride the subway into neighborhoods to try great local favorites. Any suggestions would be great.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM

I'd go for the Westin River North. It's centrally located and a nice hotel. I also love the Westin North Michigan Avenue. Nice hotel, close to shopping, etc.

Off the beaten patch breakfast/brunch: I love Ann Sather's or Orange in the Lakeview/Boystown area.

I really like Cafe Iberico for tapas - I think it's on LaSalle.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Chicago Oven Grinder and Pizza is great - take a taxi to lincoln park; Riva on Navy Pier (they have both a quieter dining room and cafe); DB kaplan deli in water tower is fun for lunch; heaven on seven has great cajun food and its just off michigan ave about 400 north. for drinks/sodas and a view, go to '16' at the trump tower.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Here are some restaurant suggestions if you end up on Michigan Avenue or east. I originally proposed them to a previous poster who was looking for reasonably priced restaurants near the Fairmont hotel. All would be good for families.

Two other great resources for Chicago restaurants: www.chicagoreader.com and www.timeout.com. They are the websites of a newspaper and magazine, respectively, both more offbeat than Tribune or Sun Times with good restaurant sections as well as lots of information about events, films, theatre, music, etc. As a local, in the general area of your hotel I recommend the following reasonably priced restaurants for best combination of price, atmosphere, food and good time:

Volare (Italian)
201 E. Grand Ave., Chicago, (312) 410-9900

Sayat Nova (Middle Eastern)
157 E. Ohio St., Chicago, (312) 644-9159

Heaven on Seven (Cajun)
600 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, (312) 280-7774

Have a great trip to Chicago.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:00 AM

How old are the kids? they might like Tony and Tina's wedding if they are 10+ (its a dinner/show where the patrons are 'guests' of a traditional Italian wedding); Chicago Firehouse at 14th and Michigan has gotten good reviews as well; one very Chicago institution is the Billy Goat tavern on lower wacker drive. it's the place from the Saturday Night Live skits with Belushi. If you just have 1 night, all the choices could be overwhelming!
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

The kids are 4.5 and 3 if that helps. Thank you for all of your suggestions. We cannot wait!