Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago hotel "girls night out" special occasion with teens

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and 2 friends (ages 16 & 17)will be going to Chicago July 22-25; it will be their very first time to visit Chicago. They will be meeting one of the girls older sister (age 25) who lives there.
We (parents) thought it would be fun to surprise them with a "girls night out" (July 23)in one of Chicago's luxury hotels, but we can't decide which hotel. Of course we don't want to break the bank, but want to spoil them as much as possible!! And, give them a lasting Chicago memory...
Here are the hotels we have considered:
Sofitel Water Tower
Hotel Monaco
Le Meridien
Park Hyatt
Hotel Allegro
W Hotel Lakeshore
Is there another one we haven't thought of?
Decor and ambiance is #1 priority over view, but both would be nice.
Any comments/suggestions would be most appreciated. BTW, I am not familiar with locations at all, so bear with me.
Thank you.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Forget to list:
Westin Mich. Ave.
Hotel Burnham
Millinnium Knickerbacker
House of Blues (Loews)
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:31 AM
JJ5

I would be most concerned about what specific area you'd like 16 and 17 year old girls to be "hanging out" at. They aren't old enough for clubs/ bars. And also, probably even more importantly, I would consult the 25 year old sister to ask her plans re the area or activity planned. This may be a troll. If not, I can tell you the little I know. I live in Chicago but have stayed downtown lots of different places and in the Swissotel (view is GREAT) lately.

I'm not sure how much you know about Chicago. Even 10 blocks can make a huge difference in activity levels at night or the kinds of activities that abound. For instance the Hotel Allegro is in the same building as the Cadillac Palace Theater. If they planned seeing a show there, it would be ok, I guess. (It's got a purple based color scheme.) But that theater area and "loop" business-orientated downtown is different at night, than say either farther North, on the River or into farther North Michigan Ave. area. That time period is full season and if it was me, I would do Hotwire or Priceline and choose only the Watertower area- North Michigan Ave.

You list a lot of smaller hotels. I know that I wouldn't have let my 16 year old out with a 25 year old, but I'm not usual anymore. They would be much better very close to the Watertower and shopping- easy access to Navy Pier and the busy tourist spots, that are more age appropriate. There are good restaurants everywhere, but I hope you know that 25 year old well and she isn't a false id procurer.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:39 AM

I would strike the Allegro off your list. I stayed there for a week in December 2003. While my room was ok, the rooms assigned to my colleagues were VERY small. Service was haphazard and the breakfast service was especially bad. I would not stay there again.
Of your list, I was go with the Sofitel, Park Hyatt or W.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Another option might be the DoubleTree all-suite hotel. The rooms are all nice (if not spectacular) and large (suites), but what makes it special is the rooftop pool.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Since they have a place to stay already, why not get tickets to a great play instead? See chicagoplays.com for what's available, and metromix.com or chireader.com for reviews.

Also, teenagers are allowed at the Sunday 4 p.m. shows at the Jazz Showcase.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

A troll????
Thanks for your advise and concerns.
Just to set the record straight, NO I am not the type of parent to just let my daughter go off with just anyone.
As for the 25 yr. old they are visiting, she is a MS graduate of NorthPark Univ. in Chicago and now works for Center for Student Missions where she does missionary work with inner-city kids. She is one of the most precious, godly young woman I know, so I am not concerned at all. (the clubs thing is not even an issue)That is the main reason I want to do this...to treat her. She has lived in the Chicago area for 5 yrs, and uses the train all the time, so I am confident of knowledge of getting around.
I do appreciate your suggestions.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:33 PM

I would recommed trying to get a hotel on Michigan Avenue, it's close to all the tourist activities, shopping and most of all it is safe. I've been there as late as midnight recently and there are still plenty of people out and about. I wouldn't hesitate to stay off Michigan personally but since they are three younger girls, I'd recommend keeping them as close to Michigan Ave. as possible.

I would definitely knock Allegro out due to it's location, and also Hotel Burnham which is down near State St. shopping but gets a little deserted at night. The W Lakeshore is a few blocks off Michigan and so is the Sofitel.

I've not stayed at any hotels in Chicago but I like the location of the Westin Michigan Avenue (close to the Hancock and Water Tower Place), the Allerton Crowne Plaza, the Intercontinental (gorgeous lobby, haven't seen any of the rooms), the Park Hyatt, all of which are on Michigan. I think the Drake, also on Michigan, might be a bit stuffy for young girls.

One more suggestion, which might break the bank, is the Peninsula, the ultimate in luxury in Chicago. But unless you get a good deal, I think it's the most expensive hotel in Chicago.

Hopefully someone who has stayed at one of these can weigh in.

Here's a good map with most of the North Michigan Avenue hotels on it

http://www.choosechicago.com/hotels_northmichigan.html
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Uhhhh..."godly" women don't have any fun anymore??? Even Jimmy Swaggert "had fun" once...
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Hi,
Just did an overnight for my daughters 12th birthday with 2 friends. We stayed at the omni suites on michigan ave. 2 blocks from watertower. Got a great deal including breakfeast found on travelzoo.com. The girls loved shopping h&m a teen store across from watertower. We went to navypier and rode the ferriswheel, sea duck. Also went to Hardrock.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

My daughter is going to be so excited to know there ia a H&M store in Chicago. I am looking at the Westin on Michigan Ave.--was able to get a pretty good rate. How is this location compared to other hotels on Mich. Ave.?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:41 AM

The Westin on Michigan is about a block north of the Hancock building (where you go for good views), Water Tower Place for shopping and the H&M store. There are also many restaurants around that area. So it's a great location for a short term stay.

FYI, there's also an H&M on State St. along with a Nordstrom Rack.

Really any of the hotels from just north of the river (I think the Intercontinental at 505 N. Michigan is the first hotel you hit) up to a little past the Westin at 909 N. Michigan will be in fine locations.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Given your list, I would probably pick the House of Blues Hotel-the location is close to Michigan Ave. and shopping. There are usually bands playing in the lounge in the lobby so they would get a feel of the place without being in a bar per se. It's decorated in a similar way to the house of blues clubs if you've ever been in one.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:58 AM

I would try to stay close to North Michigan Avenue. The Westin is in a great location. Another suggestion is the Intercontinental - the pool is very impressive.