Chicago hotel advice

Sep 19th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Chicago hotel advice

Hello,

Given a choice between the Amalfi Hotel or W Lakeshore, which would be preferable? My boyfriend and I will be in Chicago in October for 4 days and are looking for a nice hotel. A major factor in our decision is having some place to park our car for the duration of the stay. As of yet, I have not spoken to either hotel about parking accomodation.

We are in our late 20s, early 30s, enjoy going to galleries, shopping, looking at great architecture, dining and bars, and just wandering around interesting neighbourhoods. We have no problem with walking fairly long distances or with taking public transit.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

On an unrelated note, we will be visiting the Art Institute, however is there an area in Chicago that has a cluster of small independent galleries, similar to the Meatpacking District in NY?

Thanks for your help,
Kat
Sep 19th, 2004, 11:06 AM

The Amalfi has a better location for walking the neighborhoods and public transportation. The Lakeshore W has better views. Both will charge $30-35 a day to park your car, so you might try to get some kind of deal to include the parking. You would have several lots to choose from near the Amalfi; some will certainly be less than $35 a day. Don't know about parking near the W.

River North near the Merchandise Mart has some great stores; there used to be a number of galleries to the north of the Mart, but these have sadly declined because of the rents. The Milwaukee Avenue/Wicker Park area has many galleries; so does Lincoln Square. These are both great, offbeat neighborhoods to explore. www.metromix.com can give you the details.

Search this Thread