Chicago help - Need hotel near Congress Theater

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP, please. My son and 3 of his college friends are driving into Chicago to go to a concert at the COngress THeater on May 6 (much to my dismay) 2135 Milwaukee. I am having a hard time finding hotels in/out or near the area that exist or have vacancy. If it's safe taking the L, someplace near there that they could take the L (the blue line) in would be fine too. None of them are from Chicago so I really need your help, please. A nervous mom I am
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM

Wow, I hadn't known they refurbished that theater. Well its certainly not the loop. I am not saying its a bad neighborhood, just up and coming and probably OK with a group of guys.Best bet is to stay in Rosemont near the airport. You should find many hotel choices there and then just ride the Blue Line L to the California Ave stop.Or drive down the Kennedy To California Ave and to the theater.
Where are they coming from?
I hope they enjoy the show.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:55 AM

They could also stay at the Days Inn (or is the Comfort Inn still there as well?) on Diversey and take the Fullerton bus over--that area would have more of interest to guys his age than would the O'Hare area.

Joe, I wouldn't say the Congress Theater is refurbished, but a lot of "punk" type bands (and I think some reggeton stuff too) play there. Which leads me to believe that it's still a dump, judging from my experience with the types of venues I've been to!

It's not a horrible neighborhood, but I wouldn't stand on the corner and pull out a wad of $20's. The crowd at the show might be rougher, depending on what it is.

Realize, however, that any hotel may not take reservations for individuals under the age of 21, college or no.

HTH,
Racy
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Racy, I have never been to to the Congress Theater just viewed it going by on the L, so I don't know its condition but I guess its good enough for some of the shows that come there. I guess it has "atmosphere".
There is a Days in on Clark St in Lincoln Park, not far from Wrigleyville
and lots of night life.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I'm even more excited now. He is going to see Tiesto, who is a Dutch or German techno guy. He really got into techno when he went to visit some friends in the Netherlands. 2 of the friends he is going with are also from out of the US. In Europe, this is a normal type of concert, but here I think it tends to attract the "rave" crowd which of course is why mom is freaking out!!!
THey are 4 clean cut (college swimmers, I might add) guys, though not perfect. One of the is 23 and one is 21 so getting a room shouldn't be a problem if I could find one. I tried the Days Inn and the Beldon Stafford and they are both booked. I'm feeling worse about this by the moment... GRRR! I appreciate the help and any other help you can give me would be great! Some prayers might be good also. LOL
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Oh I forgot to say, they will be coming from Indianapolis, IN, where they go to school.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Must be some kind of trade show going that weekend if everything is booked (OK I checked its the food institute show that weekend.)
I just went to Expedia and checked on hotel availability for May 6 and got a number of listings both in Chicago and the suburbs. They may have to settle for the burbs. My choice would be Naperville. There is a commuter train to town with the last train home around 12:30 am plus Naperville has a booming bar and restaurant scene and a college or two in the vicinity. Check it out.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

THanks so much Joethekay....I think maybe I found one. Do you know anything about THe Inn @ Lincoln Park? Trip Advisor is split with their decisions. I may not like it, but is it ok for 4 college guys? THey have availability and fairly cheap. Could they still take public transportation or would they have to drive? It's also at Clark and Diversey.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Can't say anything about the hotel, never stayed there, but it is in a good hip neighborhood. If they offer parking,leave the car at the hotel. Have them go on the cta web site www.transitchicago.com to look at a transit map. They can get there by bus (76 Diversey to 52 California) or its better by riding the Red Line L to the loop and then changing for the Blue line (free transfer) Hey its cool to ride the L in Chicago (Cub fans do it all the time) and they will have lots of company and can people watch to their visual delight. FYI bus requires a fare card or exact fare $2 cash per bus no transfers if paid by cash and L requires same but you can buy a fare card at the L stop. Tip they should buy a fare card (or 1 day pass for $ 5) and not pay cash because the fare is only 1.75 ea way. There are vending machines at the L stops. They can put all 4 round trip fares on one card (1.75 x 4 x 2 = $ 14.00 )and pass the card to each other to get through the turnstyle) My son and his friends do it all the time to get to Wrigley. Sounds like fun. Hey there college kids. They gotta figure it out some time.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your help!!!! I think were good to go!!!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Hi Owinsmom,

The Inn at Lincoln Park is a great option for your son and his friends. I live 1 block away, and they should have a great time in the neighborhood (coffee shops, restaurants, bookstores, ice cream, shopping, movie theaters, grocery stores). It's a lively and safe street - don't hesitate to book the room.

Staying in the suburbs would not be interesting at all for your son. And, the 4 of them can taxi back to the hotel from the concert for about $12-15.

I'm sure they'll have a great (safe) time.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM

I live within walking distance of the Congress Theater, and just wanted to put your mind at ease--whoever described the neighborhood as "up and coming" is right on, but I've lived here for a year and a half and have had no problems. It's definitely not the suburbs, but they shouldn't have any problems as long as they use their heads. Don't be nervous, they'll be fine!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Chicago Gal and Sarahlynn I appreciate your words of wisdom (and comfort LOL) NOW if I can only get them to commit before it's too late and I can't get anything. Yesterday my son said that maybe they'd just drive back (at 3 in the morning, mind you) Oh to be care free and in college again. Thanks again to all who have helped me!!!!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:31 PM

For three college age young men I would recommend the H.I. Youth Hostel at 24 E. Congress.

http://www.hostelsweb.com/hostelsweb...telNumber=1853

They are bound to meet other young people.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Another great option, with 2 of them from Europe and another 1 from Canada, I'm sure they would be ver comfortable with this and it is in a great location. Thanks
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I'm back and I hope I still have some of you VERY HELPFUL posters with me. Here's the latest...this is next weekend mind you. I ended up getting into the Days Inn in LP but then got a hotwire deal for the Sheraton Towers for $88. Now I have read lots of negatives on the Sheraton, but it's a cheap place to sleep. It now stands that my son and I are going to take the South Shore in and he will meet up with his friends at the concert and come back and stay with me in the hotel. They all wanted to drive back to Indy at 3am and he is coming home to Mich, so this works out a little better. NOW for the question. This public transpo stuff has got me baffled. When I put the 2 locations into the "plan your trip" thing on the CTA website they have him taking a bus for at least 1 hour. Now according to jimthekay it looks like maybe he can take the redline south then transfer to the blue line north to California. Does that sound right? Could someone please tell me how he transfers...and I want to make sure this is safe, as he will be alone. Or would it just be better to take a cab? I know he is 18, but raised in a small town and kind of naive. I lived in the suburbs of CHicago for 15 years, but I was always "afraid" of the city. I need some advice from seasoned veterans. THanks again. Sorry for the LOOONNGGG post.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:50 PM

The transfer is by tunnel at Washington and State. It is well marked, and there is no extra charge for the transfer. He'll work it out, small town or not.

If he's running late, he could also take a short cab ride to Clark and Lake Streets and catch the Blue Line running north from there.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SO MUCH Patg, that's exactly what I needed. Have a great day !