COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Chicago - Gospel Brunch - House of Blues

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Chicago - Gospel Brunch - House of Blues

Re-post for location, sorry. Anyone ever been to this brunch? Wondering what you could tell me about it and what the dress code is. I went to their website and found the menu, which looks wonderful! Also looks kind of formal? Was looking for 1st hand experience and opinions. Thanks !
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Take my opinion for what it's worth, but I went to this show last October and was very disappointed.

For one, the food is placed where the bar area is on most nights, so the odor is rather unpleasant. (think stale alcohol) The dress ranged from dresses on the ladies to jogging suits.

I felt it was over-priced for what you get, and if you don't get to sit in the main area in front of the stage you feel sort of like an outsider looking on.

Again, just my opinion, but for the price I would much rather have gone to a nice Sunday Brunch.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for saving me $$$$. Stale liquor does NOT appeal to me and I understand what you're saying about being "where the action is". Appreciate the response. Just thought it would be kind of unique. Guess we'll try and find something else.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Just did it the weekend before Easter and had a blast. No stale alcohol smell that I could discern. Food was great, as was the music. And you're right, it is a different kind of experience. I thought that considering you get both food and entertainment the price was pretty reasonable.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Were you near the "action" or away? If you were away did you feel out of it? Or could you request to be near the music? Or is it too loud? Could you tell me a little bit about your experience.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:15 PM

We went to the Sunday Brunch at the Orlando location and had a B-L-A-S-T!
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM

We attended the Gospel Brunch in Chicago a few years ago. It felt like "church" to me, not a performance. Everyone stood up and got into the spirit of the music. I wasn't overly impressed with the food. Since there are more than one seating, there wasn't really time to go back a second time and we felt the meal portion was a little rushed. We sat at the long communal tables perpendicular to the stage. It's a small venue so I don't think it matters where you are seated. Part of the attraction for me was the House of Blues itself, especially the lobby. I definitely think it was worth going to at least once and would recommend it.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:44 AM

I went to the one in New Orleans a few years ago and like "Pumpy" also had a B-L-A-S-T!

The food was pretty good, but Sunday brunch doesn't normally blow my skirt up, so I went more for the entertainment. I wasn't disappointed.

Have fun!