Reload this Page >

Chicago - getting from Midway to downtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:05 AM
KSwing

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get from Midway to Downtown (Knickerbocker). Taxi, Shuttles or Railsystem/Bus?

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:32 AM
Jesse

Hop on the "L" its right next to the airport on 59th street. I believe you would take the orange line.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
arjay

I've not taken the 'el' from Midway - I remember hearing that it is quite a long walk to get from the terminal to the train, but don't really know. However, I can tell you that you probably will have to change trains when you get to the Loop and you def will have about a 10 minute walk from your final el stop to the K'bocker. (You'd get off at Chicago and head 2-3 blocks east to Michigan and about 5 blocks North to Walton). It's a nice enough walk, depending on weather and how much luggage you are schlepping.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:55 AM
patg

Arjay is right - you have to change from the orange line to the red line downtown, and take the red line to the Chicago Ave. and State St. stop, northeast corner. It is about 5-6 short blocks from there to the Knickerbocker. Stairs are a problem if you have much luggage. Maps are at www.transitchicago.com

During rush hours, especially in the morning, the El is the fastest way, but in midday or the evening I would take a cab. The Knickerbocker may be serviced by one of the bus companies from Midway; you would have to call the hotel and ask.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:08 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I second the cab suggestion, heartily. In Chicago, they have the very best "line masters" handling the taxis at the airports. They will put you together with others going to the same general vicinity so you can share costs. It's really a very efficient and cost-effective system. Midway to downtown is not all that costly -- $15-$20 with a FAT tip, if you split a cab.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
KenCT

Had no problem with the "L" between Midway and the Loop, or making a switch to another line. Quick, convenient, and cheap.