Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago downtown hotels-what hotels do you think would come up on Priceline if I picked their 3 star ones??

Notices

Chicago downtown hotels-what hotels do you think would come up on Priceline if I picked their 3 star ones??

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:25 PM
retired_readytogo

Now that I have used Priceline once with very good result--I am hooked!!
When I go back to Chicago in the fall I don't know what "star" to pick. I'll be traveling solo and want a "safe" area but do not need luxury..I figure 5 star would be out of my bidding range but don't know to choose 3 or 4 star..Any opinions..
Have tried using BFT but have trouble finding info I need..any suggestions??

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to go back to BFT and write down all the names of the hotels in the zones you are interested in. Do this by star rating. Check which hotels have received successful bids, the amount of the bids, and the dates. It is also important to read about which bids have been declined. Look at a calendar and match up the dates, because it is important to determine what day of the week the check in is and the duration of the stay. Then go to each of the websites of those hotels and check the pricing and availability. If a hotel is showing no availability, then you can be assured that Priceline will not have inventory for that hotel.

But, you may be doing your research too far out since you want to go in the fall. You might get lucky and get a hotel now at a steep discount, but then again hotels may not have released their inventory to Priceline. Usually hotels are pretty consistent with their pricing from season to season, so when you look at the history at BFT, you should also look at the bidding history for last fall.

You should start your bidding at the 4 star level, because you would be excluding 3 star hotels, but including 5 star hotels. If you're not successful at the 4 star level, you can start the bidding process again with a clean slate at the 3 star level. At the 3 star level, you would be bidding for 3 star hotels and everything above that level.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i BID $100 FOR A 4 STAR HOTEL ON NORTH MICHIGAN AVENUE AND GOT THE WESTIN.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I've used Priceline, I now prefer Expedia. Expedia not only allows you to choose your exact hotel but I've found them to be better rates. Anyway, IMHO
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a database i've started for hotels received on both Priceline and Hotwire:

www.betterbidding.com
(our prior URL was a sub-domain, and we have just received the new name... the site is still "propagating" so depending upon your area of the globe, it may not be available for a few hours after this post, although it's already up on many areas)